Don't know where to begin

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

saints2014

Re: Don't know where to begin

#11 Post by saints2014 »

Blackstuff wrote:I was in the same position as you many moons ago and I found the club route the best way to go.

With shotgun stuff I went to Steve Smiths Shooting Ground near Dinnington/Newcastle airport to get some clay lessons first, then found a small local clay club to join (sadly it no longer exists or I would've suggested going there in the first place), then opportunities to go game shooting came up through interactions with other members.

With game shooting there are places where you can just pay and get slung in with a group for a days shooting, but I always find those sorts of days best spent with friends/shooting mates.

Getting a 'permission' where you can shoot at will is normally the ultimate ambition for most but its the hardest (usually) to attain) and normally only comes from many years persistence/building up confidence in others that you can be trusted to do it.

Until the lockdown restrictions ease you'll likely struggle to find anywhere that can give you much in the way of tuition so nows the time to do your homework and find as many clubs as possible to try once you get the chance.

Locally the clay clubs I'm aware of and have been to;

- Steve Smiths Shooting Ground - A fairly formal ground that is open most days and offers tuition, most kinds of clay shooting catered for (Dinnington/Newc airport)
- Mandel and Unsworth Clay Pigeon Ground (sometimes called Springwell Clay Club) - A less formal shoot mainly English Sporting but some others such as DTL, no tuition as far as i'm aware, just pay and play, only open on Sundays (AFAIK) (Springwell, Washington)
- Bywell Shooting Ground - Formal shooting ground, all disciplines catered for, open all the time, fairly confident that tuition would be available (near Morpeth) - Worth doubling up with a trip to Weldon Gun Room if you're up that way.

There are dozens of clay clubs in the North East but many don't advertise and are word-of-mouth affairs. To some that might sound like a 'closed shop' mentality but when you're running a small 'straw baler' you can't let the club get too big if you have restricted hours/days otherwise it will get to the point that people can't actually get to shoot.
Thanks, that's really helpful, I'll have a look. Those three all seem like good options. How much does it usually cost?
Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

#12 Post by Lever357 »

Steve Smiths would definitely be worth a look - I know they tuition as you've never shot before then at least a few lessons would be a must. They will provide you with a gun to use, cartridges and clays, and obviously an instructor. I know you wish to shoot game but shooting clays year-round gives you plenty of practice. I know they were doing 50 clays, 50 cartridges for £50 with the tuition but that was last year some time.

I always advise people that shooting is as expensive as you want to make it:

New shotgun license application £80 for 5 years
Gun cabinet £50 - £200
BASC or some other organization membership for insurance £40 - £80
Shotgun ????? where do you start!! Can't go wrong with decent second hand Beretta or Browning, min £1000
Cartridges 1000 = £200 minimum
Cleaning kit £10 - £50
Ear defenders £30 - £300

That should give you an idea of costs for starters
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!
daman
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: HRPC, NRA, BASC, BDS, Larbert, UKPSA

#13 Post by daman »

Welcome aboard Saints2014!

As Dromia and others have said above - joining a club is the best route if you don't have contacts. I was in a similar position back in 2012 when I got back into shooting after a long absence. Now, most of my mates are shooters and I'm in several clubs :-)

Once you're up and running with a local club you'll soon start to hear what other clubs are nearby, what disciplines are available etc. Given you stated interest in shotguns and game a clays club would probs be a good starting point. Most small clubs will squad you up with a friendly bunch initially so you'll get to know people quick.

Wishing you all the best in an immensely enjoyable hobby and great new cash burner!

-daman
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#14 Post by Pippin89 »

Lever357 wrote: Shotgun ????? where do you start!! Can't go wrong with decent second hand Beretta or Browning, min £1000
Whilst spending a grand on a Silver Pigeon is a good entry for most, there is also nothing wrong with spending £200 on a cheaper gun. I have a S/H Lanber that I spent £250 on that does the job very nicely.

Find a club that does "have a go" style sessions. They are cheap and cheerful and will get you shooting for the minimum outlay so you can get a feeling for if you want to invest more money into it.
Polchraine

#15 Post by Polchraine »

Ask around locally through local gun shops for member run clay-shoots.

One of those I frequent is always open to new comers, provided they know the basics, then one of the established members will take them under their wing and guide them through. The cost of the informal "lessons" whilst part of the shoot - nothing.

Yes, having some formal lessons can assist in getting rid of the oddities and quirks you pick up, but as a start and to see if you enjoy it, informality can be useful.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#16 Post by GeeRam »

saints2014 wrote:My hope would be to shoot game rather than target shooting, but I understand there will be a learning curve before I reach that point. I looked at some of the organised ones on guns on pegs but they are so expensive! I don't really know what kind of costs I'm looking at to get into something like that.
Game shooting is not cheap, and is the kind of thing that if you have to ask how much, then you can't afford it type of sport.
You really need to join a clay shooting club and have lessons and do that first. Once you have got used to shooting and handling a gun, then you would be in a position to have a go at some game shooting.
Chances are that many people in the clay club will have contacts that game shoot, so that would be your possible way into having a go at game, with people you then know.
saints2014

#17 Post by saints2014 »

Lever357 wrote:Steve Smiths would definitely be worth a look - I know they tuition as you've never shot before then at least a few lessons would be a must. They will provide you with a gun to use, cartridges and clays, and obviously an instructor. I know you wish to shoot game but shooting clays year-round gives you plenty of practice. I know they were doing 50 clays, 50 cartridges for £50 with the tuition but that was last year some time.

I always advise people that shooting is as expensive as you want to make it:

New shotgun license application £80 for 5 years
Gun cabinet £50 - £200
BASC or some other organization membership for insurance £40 - £80
Shotgun ????? where do you start!! Can't go wrong with decent second hand Beretta or Browning, min £1000
Cartridges 1000 = £200 minimum
Cleaning kit £10 - £50
Ear defenders £30 - £300

That should give you an idea of costs for starters
That's great advice thanks. Steve Smith's keeps coming up so I'll probably try there once the lockdown has cleared up.
Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

#18 Post by Lever357 »

That's great advice thanks. Steve Smith's keeps coming up so I'll probably try there once the lockdown has cleared up.[/quote]

They are open now I believe
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#19 Post by Blackstuff »

They are but i'd be surprised if tuition was being offered as the coach needs to basically hang over your shoulder. No harm in going up for a look though I suppose.
DVC
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#20 Post by GeeRam »

Blackstuff wrote:They are but i'd be surprised if tuition was being offered as the coach needs to basically hang over your shoulder. No harm in going up for a look though I suppose.
Yes, a couple of us were bashing some clays at Barbury a few days ago, and when I was paying the girl answered the phone and it was an enquiry about beginners lessons, and she said that they were not re-instated them as yet because of this very thing.