Cabinet arrangement for Partners

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

Cabinet arrangement for Partners

#1 Post by Pippin89 »

Hi all. Your thoughts on this please? I have an FAC and SGC and store my guns in a single safe. My missus has taken up clays and, when applications reopen, we will be applying for an SGC for her.

So obviously she can't have access to my safe as there are FAC guns in there, but can she list my safe as her storage arrangements and store her gun in there whilst not having access to it? I.e. she would have to ask me to get her shotgun out?

Or do I need to get another cabinet and have a firearm safe and a shotgun safe? Where I would have access to both and she would only have access to the SG safe...

P.S as my safe is almost at capacity and I plan on a couple of newcomers over the next year or so this will happen anyway. But my preferred timeline has her getting an SGC before this.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

Re: Cabinet arrangement for Partners

#2 Post by GeeRam »

Pippin89 wrote: So obviously she can't have access to my safe as there are FAC guns in there, but can she list my safe as her storage arrangements and store her gun in there whilst not having access to it? I.e. she would have to ask me to get her shotgun out?
You need to check with your FEO, but I seriously doubt they will be happy with that.
Pippin89 wrote: Or do I need to get another cabinet and have a firearm safe and a shotgun safe? Where I would have access to both and she would only have access to the SG safe...
This is what you'll have to do most likely.
Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

#3 Post by Andy632 »

May be just as easy for her to get her own FAC and share all the guns. Works for some. Speak with FEO
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.
Christel
Site Admin

#4 Post by Christel »

If you go for the FAC option instead of an additional cabinet then ask if you can have a condition on both certificates where you are allowed access to eachothers guns instead of mirrored.

Mirrored is a pain because both certificates have to go in for any changes where as a condition makes life easier.
Pippin89

#5 Post by Pippin89 »

As she has no valid reason for any firearms I doubt this is an option.

I will just have to move up plans to get another safe and put in a variation for more toys! What a shame... lol
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#6 Post by Mattnall »

Get her to sign her shotgun on to your SGC and then when it needs to be stored away it is in your possession and if she needs it you have to get it out for her to take away.

One shotgun can be on more than one SGC.

But better to get another cabinet and then there's no problem (but still might be a good idea to sign all your guns onto each others' SGCs so possession isn't subject to the 72hr thing).
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Pippin89

#7 Post by Pippin89 »

Mattnall wrote:Get her to sign her shotgun on to your SGC and then when it needs to be stored away it is in your possession and if she needs it you have to get it out for her to take away.

One shotgun can be on more than one SGC.

But better to get another cabinet and then there's no problem (but still might be a good idea to sign all your guns onto each others' SGCs so possession isn't subject to the 72hr thing).
To be honest the 72 hour rule will never be a problem. At least not for the foreseeable. We are only shooting together at the moment and she doesnt drive so she couldn't get anywhere on her own anyway. The only reasons to get her an SGC in the first place are A) probably the correct thing to do if she is going to be shooting more, and B) so, if the opportunity arrived she could go shooting without me.

As I wanted to get another cabinet anyway that seems like the easiest option all round!
Polchraine

#8 Post by Polchraine »

The 72 hour rule will be a problem if you store her shotgun in your safe. Technically, when in the safe you are in possession and your wife would need to shoot every three days so you are not in possession for more than 72 hours. Even with a second safe, it will be much easier to have all shotguns on both certificates.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Pippin89

#9 Post by Pippin89 »

Polchraine wrote:The 72 hour rule will be a problem if you store her shotgun in your safe. Technically, when in the safe you are in possession and your wife would need to shoot every three days so you are not in possession for more than 72 hours. Even with a second safe, it will be much easier to have all shotguns on both certificates.
Ah I see what you are saying. Yes in that case it could be on my cert too. When things are calmer and applications are being accepted again I will ask my FEO the best way forward. But either way I think it makes more sense to install the second safe when making her application.
Polchraine

#10 Post by Polchraine »

Pippin89 wrote:
Polchraine wrote:The 72 hour rule will be a problem if you store her shotgun in your safe. Technically, when in the safe you are in possession and your wife would need to shoot every three days so you are not in possession for more than 72 hours. Even with a second safe, it will be much easier to have all shotguns on both certificates.
Ah I see what you are saying. Yes in that case it could be on my cert too. When things are calmer and applications are being accepted again I will ask my FEO the best way forward. But either way I think it makes more sense to install the second safe when making her application.

Have a second cabinet that houses all the shotguns with all on both certificates. That leaves you with an FAC cabinet for your own expandable collection.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.