Vortex Diamondback 3.5–10x50 - Is it good enough?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Sonofsammo

Vortex Diamondback 3.5–10x50 - Is it good enough?

#1 Post by Sonofsammo »

I currently have a Vortex Diamondback 3.5–10x50, which I use for playing Airsoft.
I'm wondering if this would be good enough to go on a 308 for use on a 100m range.
The main range at the club I use is 100m - but all the scopes they have on the club rifles are around the 20x mark.
If it's not, what should I be looking for?
Any advice would be much appreciated...
TIA :D
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

Re: Vortex Diamondback 3.5–10x50 - Is it good enough?

#2 Post by mag41uk »

no problem
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#3 Post by Mattnall »

I use a 3.5-10 power Leupold on my competition rifle, at 100yds I wind it down to 3.bowl and don't go lower because I can't.
I have been going to 4.bowl max out to 600yds because of the competition rules but this year I've changed classes so I can use a bit more of the magnification - my eyes aren't what they used to be and the figure targets are getting more sand like as the years roll on.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#4 Post by channel12 »

To clearly see your target no problem, I use a 10x out to 600 yards.
To clearly your bullets holes not so much especially when shooting on a black target. There was a reason spotting scopes or shoot'n'see targets were invented. Seeing bullets holes on a white target with a 10x at 100 yards not so much of a problem.
Sonofsammo

#5 Post by Sonofsammo »

Mattnall wrote: I wind it down to 3.bowl and don't go lower because I can't.
I have been going to 4.bowl
Apologies for being dim, but what do 3.bowl and 4.bowl mean?
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#6 Post by channel12 »

Sonofsammo wrote:
I'm guessing the predictive text fairy struck again, power ?
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#7 Post by bradaz11 »

Take the scope off, or the gun down the range and see what your target looks like? The scope itself will cope no issue

Sent from my pink toy using "An application"
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#8 Post by DaveB »

The Vortex will be fine for shooting at 100m, though as noted 10x magnification is not really sufficient to spot the bullet holes in the black portion of a target.

For that you really need a separate spotting scope, or get a new scope that goes up to 20x magnification. Vortex has quite a selection, though there are any number of good manufacturer's to choose from. Choose a good name like Leupold and you cannot really go wrong.

I own and can recommend the Vortex Viper PST II line, the Nightforce SHV line, and the Sightron SIII. These all contain a scope somewhere in the 5-20/25 25x50/56 area (exact magnification range varies between manufacturers). Second choices would be Nikon - I have a few of these and they are not bad at all. I have a Primary Arms 1-6x24 lpvo (low power variable optic) and if that is anything to go by, Primary Arms would also be a good choice.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#9 Post by Pippin89 »

I (as well as many others) shoot at 600 yards or even 1000 yards with zero magnification on iron sights. As others have said, the only problem you will have is seeing the shot. But if you have electronic targets or a marker then you will be ok. Otherwise get a spotting scope.
Type spotting scope into ebay and you will see plenty of cheap ones, if you are on a budget, that go up to 60x. If you want something better quality then ask around on here, or check out the for sale section. But an ebay one will do the job for 100 yards.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#10 Post by Mattnall »

channel12 wrote:
Sonofsammo wrote:
I'm guessing the predictive text fairy struck again, power ?
:oops: Predictive text whilst using the phone to type and not having my glasses. Couldn't have read what I typed even if I had tried.

Meant to be '3.bowl' or '3.5power' but I can't get it to predict like that again. I must have been super special yesterday. razz

ETA - it is the auto correct on the forum, '3.5' or '4.5' with an 'x' get changed - strange. So, I'm not so crazy after all. :good:
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.