Gallery rifle

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: Gallery rifle

#21 Post by Alpha1 »

I fitted my Winchester 94AE with a stainless steel lifter purchased from the Shooting Shed. It was a drop-in part and worked straight out of the box. I have put several hundred rounds through it since fitting the lifter without any issues.
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#22 Post by FredB »

Yes, but they said recently that they were not prepared to make any more!
Fred
jimbo303

#23 Post by jimbo303 »

I purchased my first Gallery Rifle last year - Uberti 73 20" Octagon barrel.
Prior to deciding on this I handled Ubertis, Henrys and Marlins and I found this one was just perfectly balanced for me - as well as being extremely well made and attractive to the eye.

I shoot regularly at 2 Clubs. My primary Club has a GR side to it who are of the opinion that any GR has to be a Marlin as you cant fit a decent scope on a Winchester 73. Fair enough - but I had no desire in the slightest to use a scope, this was met with some icredulity !

My second club - all about the historical aspect of shooting these rifles - If I turned up with a scoped marlin I would have had the same comments in reverse, but probably with slightly fruitier language !

It entirely depends on what you wish to do - and I am loving my 73.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#24 Post by bradaz11 »

Local bwss rep here...
You like the gun part but not the other side of things?? What other side? The laughs and good time? Healthy competition? All you need to wear is a hat and stuff that looks vintage, so jeans, boots and a shirt. That's it.
On to the guns, a slicked up marlin in no way compared to a slicked up 73. I shoot an uberti 20" in 44spl with all the bells and whistles and it is a thing of beauty.
As mentioned elsewhere, the only thing for marlins is scopes.
Marlins cause more problems on the line than 73s except if someone has bad ammo, as obvs 73s are a lot more sensitive to case length.

Sent from my pink toy using "An application"
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#25 Post by GeeRam »

bradaz11 wrote:
On to the guns, a slicked up marlin in no way compared to a slicked up 73. I shoot an uberti 20" in 44spl with all the bells and whistles and it is a thing of beauty.
Marlins cause more problems on the line than 73s except if someone has bad ammo, as obvs 73s are a lot more sensitive to case length.
Yep.

My '73 Uberti is a joy, and slicked up a tad, a wonderful thing to shoot and use. Like Jimbo above, I've tried them all, Henry's, Marlins, Rossi's, Winchester's and Chiappa's.....and only the Chiappa came close to the Uberti. All the Marlins I've shot have been 'orrible things, I really don't get why people rate them. The Henry's are nice, but I hate the tube end loading so not a chance I'd have one of those.
P1010991.JPG
dgw65

#26 Post by dgw65 »

jimbo303 wrote:I purchased my first Gallery Rifle last year - Uberti 73 20" Octagon barrel.
Prior to deciding on this I handled Ubertis, Henrys and Marlins and I found this one was just perfectly balanced for me - as well as being extremely well made and attractive to the eye.

I shoot regularly at 2 Clubs. My primary Club has a GR side to it who are of the opinion that any GR has to be a Marlin as you cant fit a decent scope on a Winchester 73. Fair enough - but I had no desire in the slightest to use a scope, this was met with some icredulity !

My second club - all about the historical aspect of shooting these rifles - If I turned up with a scoped marlin I would have had the same comments in reverse, but probably with slightly fruitier language !

It entirely depends on what you wish to do - and I am loving my 73.
Yes, I too have no desire to use a scope on what is supposed to be a historic rifle I'd rather miss.

I really must try a Uberti in 20", as you will have read I was under the impression I already had but it transpires it must've been a 24". I do like Uberti I played with a Cattleman SAA on holiday and bought the blank fire version soon as I got back, it's a beautiful thing.
dgw65

#27 Post by dgw65 »

bradaz11 wrote:Local bwss rep here...
You like the gun part but not the other side of things?? What other side? The laughs and good time? Healthy competition? All you need to wear is a hat and stuff that looks vintage, so jeans, boots and a shirt. That's it.

Hi, well yes basically, I enjoy guns from different eras/genres so am after a one-stop club where I can shoot them all. I'm not anti the western scene I'm just not interested, chuck a few guns in the truck, turn up at the club, maybe a quick natter to those I know maybe not, shoot stuff, go home.

There's that 20" Uberti 73 again...
dgw65

#28 Post by dgw65 »

GeeRam wrote:
bradaz11 wrote:
Yep.

My '73 Uberti is a joy, and slicked up a tad, a wonderful thing to shoot and use. Like Jimbo above, I've tried them all, Henry's, Marlins, Rossi's, Winchester's and Chiappa's.....and only the Chiappa came close to the Uberti. All the Marlins I've shot have been 'orrible things, I really don't get why people rate them. The Henry's are nice, but I hate the tube end loading so not a chance I'd have one of those.
P1010991.JPG
Look ok I get it just take my money.. lol

Btw the shiny bit next to the forend wood, is that the pretend case-hardening wearing off?
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#29 Post by bradaz11 »

dgw65 wrote:

Hi, well yes basically, I enjoy guns from different eras/genres so am after a one-stop club where I can shoot them all. I'm not anti the western scene I'm just not interested, chuck a few guns in the truck, turn up at the club, maybe a quick natter to those I know maybe not, shoot stuff, go home.

tbh, I do that style of shooting too, I just do it after the comp session. I'm not into the western scene that much, but I do like shooting off 2 revolvers, a rifle and shotgun at targets in as fast a time as possible. then wait about while everyone else runs the stage, half of which is reloading your pistols. basically its closest we get to 3 gun comps over here lol.
is northcoates butts a manageable distance for you? we shoot there once a month.
Btw the shiny bit next to the forend wood, is that the pretend case-hardening wearing off?
it is most likley just the different angle of that bit of metal, as it fattens up there to meet the wood. I've not seen many guns with it worn off, and that is a bit of an odd spot as you wouldn't want to hold it there due to the lifter nipping your hand if you did.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
dgw65

#30 Post by dgw65 »

bradaz11 wrote:
dgw65 wrote:

tbh, I do that style of shooting too, I just do it after the comp session. I'm not into the western scene that much, but I do like shooting off 2 revolvers, a rifle and shotgun at targets in as fast a time as possible. then wait about while everyone else runs the stage, half of which is reloading your pistols. basically its closest we get to 3 gun comps over here lol.
is northcoates butts a manageable distance for you? we shoot there once a month.
it is most likley just the different angle of that bit of metal, as it fattens up there to meet the wood. I've not seen many guns with it worn off, and that is a bit of an odd spot as you wouldn't want to hold it there due to the lifter nipping your hand if you did.
Fraid not squire that's a 5hr round trip for me but yes - 2 SAAs, coach gun + underlever would be a very good day.

Re the case hardening effect finish on that Uberti I only mentioned it because I read somewhere someone on about it flaking off the lever, which suggests it might be fragile.