New Shooter in Scotland

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Cmurray199

New Shooter in Scotland

#1 Post by Cmurray199 »

Hi All,

I am a new shooter based in Scotland and just went through the process of applying for my first FAC and SGC!

Process was very straight forward and as they misplaced my form I have been waiting months for it now :(

Should be getting them through the post within the next week or so and thought I would ask any advice for beginners?

What should I think about buying first and if anyone in Scotland could tell me anywhere for beginners to go shooting would be great

Thanks
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

Re: New Shooter in Scotland

#2 Post by Pippin89 »

What sort of shooting are you wanting to do? Target/game etc. Also what have you applied for on your FAC?
Cmurray199

#3 Post by Cmurray199 »

I have been to the clays and I enjoyed that, dont have a SG of my own yet so will be getting some kind of over and under for that.

And I am a member of a club here in Glasgow shooting targets but it only seems to be 25 yards we can shoot at. I have applied for my SGC and on my FAC I have asked for 2x .22 and a 243 as my father in law has land for stocking.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#4 Post by Pippin89 »

Cmurray199 wrote:I have been to the clays and I enjoyed that, dont have a SG of my own yet so will be getting some kind of over and under for that.

And I am a member of a club here in Glasgow shooting targets but it only seems to be 25 yards we can shoot at. I have applied for my SGC and on my FAC I have asked for 2x .22 and a 243 as my father in law has land for stocking.
Ask at the club if you haven't already about shooting further. My club only has a 25 yard range but we also shoot at Bisley. Your club might have a similar arrangement. If not someone there will be able to point you in the direction of a club that does shoot further. You are lucky to have access to the land. Make sure you have written permission for the land from your father in law before your interview (there is a standard form on BASC I believe) and also, is the land signed off for .243 or are you hoping for an open ticket? It is unlikely your FAC will be open for a first application so the land will also need signing off by police if it isn't already.
Also make sure you are aware of what game is on the land and what you are and aren't allowed to shoot and at what times of the year etc. They will expect you to have knowledge of this. I would suggest spending some time on the land making a list of all the animals you can see. Then research shooting open seasons and protected status of each species.
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#5 Post by IainWR »

Join a National Body. The support, information and insurance can be beyond price when you need it. Have a look at SACS and STS, both have decent websites explaining what they do.
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#6 Post by Geek »

:wave: Hello and welcome
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S