First FAC choices

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Sonofsammo

First FAC choices

#1 Post by Sonofsammo »

I’m trying to decide what to get on my FAC when I apply.
My home range has an indoor 25m range and an outdoor 100m range.
So far the only thing I’m 99.9% sure I’m going to get is a Vector 22lr, which I already have a Sig Bravo4 for.
Aside from that, I’m perplexed by the baffling bonanza of firearms available.
I’m contemplating a 22 bolt action, for cheap indoor precision practice.
However, for outdoor I’m not sure.
Is there any centre fire rifle calibre / set up that doesn’t require the time spent waiting for the barrel to cool - or should I just accept that all barrels take time to cool?
It’s because it takes me an hour each way to get to the range and to only get 20 rounds down range in a session drives me nuts.
For the main rifle, budget is max 2K, including optic.
I don’t want to be spending a fortune on ammo, so that’s a consideration too.
I know that more information would be helpful, but I’m not sure what would be useful to know.
TIA
:D
Les
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: WRPC

Re: First FAC choices

#2 Post by Les »

For indoor use, any .22 lr will do the job.

For bolt action, CZ452/455/'s are readily available 2nd hand.
A .22 semi-auto should be in everybodies cabinet. The obvious choice would be a used Ruger 10/22, unless you're a fan of "black rifles" that look like military issue stuff but use .22lr.

You can pick up a CZ and a Ruger for less than £500.

You could use either of those rifles at 100 yards, too, but speak to fellow club members and see what they are using. You should be able to get as much info as needed if the members are worth their salt. ;)
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

Agreed, a CZ452 or 455 would work, they are both incredibly accurate and not outrageously expensive second hand. Equally a Ruger 10/22 works and if you can find one, the Marlin 7000-T (Target)

A .308 Win with a heavy barrel is a good starting place. The .308 Remington 700 Police and a reasonable 'scope as a package can be had for under GBP2,000 and will probably out shoot you for a while :)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#4 Post by Geek »

Depending how much you want to spend in total, any or all of the following:
  • .22LR self loading i.e. Ruger 10/22 (for me this was the first firearm I purchased) or similar;
    .22LR bolt action i.e. Ruger American, CZ 455 (or similar);
    .38SP/.357 underlever i.e. Marlin (for me this was the second firearm I purchased) or similar;
    .223 Rem (Remington 700 or similar);
    .308 Win (or if you intend to home load 6.5Creedmoor), which will probably depend if you wish to enter certain calibre specific competitions.
Good luck and enjoy whatever you decide to buy and shoot.
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#5 Post by Mattnall »

Sonofsammo wrote: Is there any centre fire rifle calibre / set up that doesn’t require the time spent waiting for the barrel to cool - or should I just accept that all barrels take time to cool?
Has someone mentioned this to you at the range? Is it a range noise thing for the neighbours so you are restricted to slow fire or a fussy rifle owner who's letting you borrow their rifle and doesn't want it hot?
Barrels do heat up and there are those that don't like to let their rifle get warm. Thin hunting rifle barrels can get a bit too hot to handle and owners think this might be detrimental to the life of the barrel but some studies suggest a warm barrel wears less than a cold one as the metal is more pliable (or something like that).

If you come and shoot some of the practical or CSR matches you'll get some practices where you have to shoot 10 rounds in less than a minute, sometimes in under 40 seconds.
Then if you try the Urban Match you'll get through 40 rounds in less than 10 or 15 minutes. Some of the GR events have very high round counts in a very short time limit.

At the sort of practices that you'll likely get to shoot there'll be no chance the barrel will melt and there'll be little chance of damage to the rifle if it gets hot, I have had them too hot to touch especially on sunny days where they don't get the chance to cool off between practices. I have seen Enfields literally weep oil they have got so hot shooting the historic matches.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#6 Post by Pippin89 »

The big question is, what is your range signed off for? It will be signed off for up to a certain calibre. If the range restrictions allow, then I would agree with Ovenpaa on a .308 Win (or 7.62 NATO, basically the same thing). Ammo choices are good as you can get it cheap enough to not be restricted on how much you shoot, but there is also very good quality match grade ammo available for when you want to spend a bit more.
On barrel heat, I have never been concerned with my 7.62 TR rifle. Other than the first couple of shots on a cold barrel being a bit off. Once warm it shoots consistently and when I am done shooting, it is hot but not hot enough to not handle. 15 minutes in the open air while chatting to others on the range its cool enough to put away and drive home.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#7 Post by Mattnall »

Pippin89 wrote:The big question is, what is your range signed off for?
This doesn't matter to some degree if the club is NRA Affiliated. All you need to show is access to ranges suitable for your use of the firearm/calibre/cartridge choice and being a member of an NRA Affiliated Club will allow you access to Bisley or other clubs and ranges such as Diggle for their open shoots etc.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#8 Post by dromia »

Pippin89 wrote:The big question is, what is your range signed off for? It will be signed off for up to a certain calibre.
Ranges are usually signed of for a maximum muzzle energy and velocity and bullet diameter.

Ranges signed of for "calibres" is a meaningless confusion as witnessed by the mayhem caused by the NSRA's pistol calibre "limit".

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#9 Post by Pippin89 »

dromia wrote:
Pippin89 wrote:The big question is, what is your range signed off for? It will be signed off for up to a certain calibre.
Ranges are usually signed of for a maximum muzzle energy and velocity and bullet diameter.

Ranges signed of for "calibres" is a meaningless confusion as witnessed by the mayhem caused by the NSRA's pistol calibre "limit".
I did use the words "up-to" but yes could have been clearer I guess!
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#10 Post by dromia »

So hypothetically a range is "signed of for up to 30-06 calibre" what would that mean?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/