First FAC choices

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

Re: First FAC choices

#21 Post by Pippin89 »

Geek wrote:
.22LR - 1000
5.56/.223 - 500
7.62./308 - 500
.38/.357 (assuming that you add the rifle) - 500
Add 20% to all of those. So 1200 LR and 600 of the rest. That way you can buy bricks of 500 or 1000 without having to wait until you are completely empty.

One thing that may come up... FEO's all have different opinions on how long a slot can remain open for. Mine said I could only apply for stuff that I was going to buy within a year. I have heard of others saying 3 months. So they may ask about your ability to afford all of the firearms and ammo you are asking for in a short space of time... Don't let it stop you asking for them. Just make sure you think of an answer to that before your interview.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#22 Post by Blackstuff »

Pippin89 wrote:
One thing that may come up... FEO's all have different opinions on how long a slot can remain open for. Mine said I could only apply for stuff that I was going to buy within a year. I have heard of others saying 3 months. So they may ask about your ability to afford all of the firearms and ammo you are asking for in a short space of time... Don't let it stop you asking for them. Just make sure you think of an answer to that before your interview.
That shouldn't come up at all. Its a 5 year certificate so at the very most they should be asking (they shouldn't) how many guns you can afford in 5 years. I'd outright accuse any FEO coming out with that of trying to tout for business/get extra money for the FLD for variation fees. troutslapping

As per usual though FEO's/FLD's make up their own rules so its a postcode lottery, i've had one slot on my certificate for 2 FAC cycles and it will almost certainly be getting carried forward to my next, soon to be forthcoming FAC so 10+ years....
DVC
Sonofsammo

#23 Post by Sonofsammo »

Geek wrote:
Sonofsammo wrote:Thanks for all the replies so far :D
I'll stop worrying so much about heat!

I'm thinking I'll go for
22lr self loading
22lr bolt
5.56/223 bolt
7.62/308 bolt

One thing I have no clue about is how much ammo to ask for to start with. Is there a general minimum needed?
TIA :D
Why not add a .38/.357 underlever? Also, think about adding something black powder (not my thing [others on here would need to advise], but there is reasoning in my logic - it's a spare slot to enable a 1 for 1 variation at no cost). I would also add a moderator for each of the calibres, again if you don't use them it allows a 1 for 1 at no cost.

As for ammunition, what about the following (you can always increase when you see how much you shoot):

.22LR - 1000
5.56/.223 - 500
7.62./308 - 500
.38/.357 (assuming that you add the rifle) - 500
Good idea on the moderator front, many thanks!
I could be tempted to a 357 as well, as I quite like under levers.

As an aside, I noticed that you have an AT308 in your sig - what do you think of it? (I fell in love when I saw one at the shooting show at Birmingham!)
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#24 Post by Geek »

I am a bit of an AI fanboy to be honest. I do like my AI AT, currently at proof with its new 28" 6.5Creedmoor heavy barrel. I also fitted a thumbhole conversion.
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#25 Post by Geek »

I do prefer the looks of an AT with the thumbhole conversion to the AX. Someone at my club has had an AX buttstock fitted to their AT and it does necessitate higher scope rings, for what the conversion costs, I do think that they regret having it done.
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#26 Post by Mattnall »

I'm thinking I'll go for
22lr self loading
22lr bolt
5.56/223 bolt
7.62/308 bolt

One thing I have no clue about is how much ammo to ask for to start with. Is there a general minimum needed?
When it comes to your list, don't ask for a particular action (bolt, semi etc). If this gets put on the FAC then you'll be stuck with that choice and require a variation if you change your mind. The .22s for example, just ask for 2 x 22lr rifle then you can get either if your desires change and the full-bores 'bolt' might limit you from straight-pull or lever action etc. If you need to you can explain to the FEO whay you would require two of the same calibre but even then you could change your mind.

Type is 'rifle', 'muzzle-loading pistol', 'shotgun', etc. not the action type.

Ammo allowances. This is the tricky one to get advice from others as their needs or requirements are most likely different from your own. Think about how many you think you'll shoot in a good year and add some more (maybe double it) and ask for that - it is a negotiation process with the FEO so as long as you can justify how much you shoot each calibre then you'll be fine. Don't use economy of scale as a reason to buy more, that's a no go, but batch quantities for a season especially if you shoot regular comps is a good reason for more.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Sonofsammo

#27 Post by Sonofsammo »

Mattnall wrote:

I'm thinking I'll go for
22lr self loading
22lr bolt
5.56/223 bolt
7.62/308 bolt

When it comes to your list, don't ask for a particular action (bolt, semi etc). If this gets put on the FAC then you'll be stuck with that choice and require a variation if you change your mind. The .22s for example, just ask for 2 x 22lr rifle then you can get either if your desires change and the full-bores 'bolt' might limit you from straight-pull or lever action etc. If you need to you can explain to the FEO why you would require two of the same calibre but even then you could change your mind.
Thanks for the advice :D - that makes sense, but I'd never have thought of making it so simple.
Certainly opens up the possibilities for the future and give my innate flightiness a bit of wiggle room.
Sonofsammo

#28 Post by Sonofsammo »

When filling out the FAC application, what details are they looking for when they ask about ammo storage?
I'm going to keep the guns at the club I'm a member of, but will need to do something for the ammo at home...
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#29 Post by Mattnall »

Describe the ammo storage option you have gone for; ie purpose built ammo storage cabinet/lockable box in firearm cabinet, or something on those lines. If you really want you can quote BS number of the cabinet or box you get but that is not necessary as the FEO will inspect when they come to inspect and interview you. Ammo has to be stored securely and attached to the building also in a separate compartment or box from the rifles they are used in.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.