SGC and Shotgun storage

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

genghis

SGC and Shotgun storage

#1 Post by genghis »

Good evening,

Apologies in advance if these questions have been answered ad nauseum. I've had a search over the forum, and though I've found similar topics, I couldn't specifically find the below info.

Prior to lockdown, I'd begun to partake in clay shooting. Once the situation allows, I'm hoping to get back into it again, and apply for a SGC. The biggest obstacle I have to this isn't space or money, it's my other half who is very much anti-guns in the house.

I'm looking at alternatives, and I've seen that short and long-term shotgun storage is available in a few places, though I couldn't find anything mentioned on the websites of any local clubs (Manchester or Liverpool area). Basically, I'd like to know:

1) Is shotgun storage a common service provided by gun clubs? As mentioned, I couldn't see it listed on the websites of local clubs, but maybe it was just not a popular service that they advertised (naturally, I would be happy to pay a fee). I can ring around the clubs myself to ask this, but essentially just want to know if this is a silly question before I do.

2) If the answer to question 1 is positive, would it be viable to apply for a SGC on the basis that my shotgun would be permanently stored at a gun club? Would the police accept this as a permanent arrangement? I live in hope that my other half will one day come around at which point I can transfer to my own house, but I doubt that would be any time soon.

Basically, I'm just querying whether the above is remotely viable, or whether I should scrap the idea. Backup plan is to store the shotgun at my Mother's house, since she lives in a 3 bedroom house on her own. I hope it doesn't come to that - don't much fancy having an hour chat and cup of tea to be polite every time I want to pick up my shotgun!

Thanks in advance for any help - lots of great knowledge on this site :good:
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: SGC and Shotgun storage

#2 Post by Alpha1 »

Have you explained to your other half that while it was stored in your home it would be permanently locked up in a steel cabinet that only you have access to?
I think it's unlikely a Club would store it for you. But I may be wrong. I have never had an issue all my firearms have all ways been stored at home in secure gun cabinets. My wife is not a gun person but she has no issues as long as I am sensible were and when I have them out of the cabinets. She certainly does not see them as a threat and has no reason to think having them in the house is anything to be worried about. In fact, if I start dragging them out her response is oh goody are you going shooting with your buddies I have a day to myself whoopee. Don't rush back. But I suspect that 50 years together may have something to do with that. I guess the novelty as wore off.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#3 Post by dromia »

Best plan is divorce, you and your wife obviusly have totally differeing value systems and are completely incompatible.

Regardless of how long you have benn married 'tis better to get this sorted, better late than never.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
RDC

#4 Post by RDC »

I would have the conversation to nail down exactly why she is so against them being in the house.

As Alpha1 states, they are in a lock steel safe all the time with only you having access. If you really want to, you can even stick a lock on the door to the room they are in.

My wife thought she was going to be uncomfortable with them in the house when she moved in with me, however she doesn't even think about them because they are locked up out of sight, safe. People seem to have visions of kids stumbling upon them and doing themselves a mischief, like you hear of from America. However that can never happen here if you are a responsible firearms owner.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#5 Post by Pippin89 »

My club stores them. I'm not sure on the provisions, cost, terms etc but its doable.
As other have said, a genuine conversation with your missus about storage might be the best bet. If you have any close friends with SGC/FAC, they might be willing to let her see it and see how safe it is. I say "close" friends as acquaintances might feel funny about showing you where they store guns....
If she sees a gun safe and sees how hard it would be for someone to get into it, she might come around. Pulling on the safe and seeing how securely it is fixed to the wall always gives some confidence.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#6 Post by dromia »

Pippin89 wrote:If you have any close friends with SGC/FAC, they might be willing to let her see it and see how safe it is. I say "close" friends as acquaintances might feel funny about showing you where they store guns....
If she sees a gun safe and sees how hard it would be for someone to get into it, she might come around. Pulling on the safe and seeing how securely it is fixed to the wall always gives some confidence.
That would surely be a post pandemic option. Bear in mind that we might not live long enough to see that.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#7 Post by Mattnall »

Basically the answer is YES to both your questions for FAC and SGC.

With shotguns it is even easier. You can just write your shotguns on to your friend's SGC and then you can both store and have access with no problem. Your friend can store in a separate cabinet in their house/garage/etc and can even bring them along if you go to the same shoots.

You tell your FEO where you'll be storing them and that is the storage address on your SGC. FAC is similar but the duel access arrangements need to change, not a big problem and I know of a couple of members of my clubs that store at friends' houses, some store at the club houses (especially at Bisley) and others at a tame RFD's address.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#8 Post by Blackstuff »

You certainly want to have a proper conversation with your missus before you apply for your SGC as if she's present during the interview she may say something that could be taken out of context and scupper your application. I notice with my renewal papers that have just been sent out they want the full details of everyone living at the property so they may contact her (almost certainly will IMO if you say she doesn't want guns in the house) regardless of whether she's there or not.

I obviously don't know you or your partner but some people say crazy things, especially in the 'pressured' situation of having someone in 'authority' present. :squirrel:

If it is just a security issue she has Pippins idea is a good one if you have someone that fits the bill. :good:
DVC
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#9 Post by GeeRam »

Blackstuff wrote:You certainly want to have a proper conversation with your missus before you apply for your SGC as if she's present during the interview she may say something that could be taken out of context and scupper your application. I notice with my renewal papers that have just been sent out they want the full details of everyone living at the property so they may contact her (almost certainly will IMO if you say she doesn't want guns in the house) regardless of whether she's there or not.
^^^^This.

You need to sort this out with the missus before you go any further tbh.

As said above, the storage with a good mate is one option, but if just starting, it would depend how you've got into it via a friend who shoots or just had a trial at a local club? If via friend, then consider this option, if you are shooting with this person all the time. If not, then its not viable.
Some bigger clay clubs/shooting grounds will have storage, but this won't be cheap, so you will need to find a club/school that does have this option before going further. It would also restrict you to just shooting at this one place all the time in reality, which again, long term isn't a great option.

Better to resolve the issue with you missus now or put the idea aside. I gave up shooting for 10 years as a result of a similar situation with my now ex-missus, as she had a past history with mental health issues, so I understand the situation you are in.
Polchraine

#10 Post by Polchraine »

Mattnall's suggestion about having a friend who stores it for you is a good way. Put in on his/her SGC, tell the FEO where you are storing it and why. You do not even need access to the cabinet.

At one time, I had an SGC, no guns, no storage, but it allowed me to borrow a gun for a day ...

Apply for your SGC and talk it through.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.