SGC and Shotgun storage

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

genghis

Re: SGC and Shotgun storage

#11 Post by genghis »

Many thanks all for the replies.

Alpha1 wrote:Have you explained to your other half that while it was stored in your home it would be permanently locked up in a steel cabinet that only you have access to?
I think it's unlikely a Club would store it for you. But I may be wrong. I have never had an issue all my firearms have all ways been stored at home in secure gun cabinets. My wife is not a gun person but she has no issues as long as I am sensible were and when I have them out of the cabinets. She certainly does not see them as a threat and has no reason to think having them in the house is anything to be worried about. In fact, if I start dragging them out her response is oh goody are you going shooting with your buddies I have a day to myself whoopee. Don't rush back. But I suspect that 50 years together may have something to do with that. I guess the novelty as wore off.
RDC wrote:I would have the conversation to nail down exactly why she is so against them being in the house.

As Alpha1 states, they are in a lock steel safe all the time with only you having access. If you really want to, you can even stick a lock on the door to the room they are in.

My wife thought she was going to be uncomfortable with them in the house when she moved in with me, however she doesn't even think about them because they are locked up out of sight, safe. People seem to have visions of kids stumbling upon them and doing themselves a mischief, like you hear of from America. However that can never happen here if you are a responsible firearms owner.
Pippin89 wrote:My club stores them. I'm not sure on the provisions, cost, terms etc but its doable.
As other have said, a genuine conversation with your missus about storage might be the best bet. If you have any close friends with SGC/FAC, they might be willing to let her see it and see how safe it is. I say "close" friends as acquaintances might feel funny about showing you where they store guns....
If she sees a gun safe and sees how hard it would be for someone to get into it, she might come around. Pulling on the safe and seeing how securely it is fixed to the wall always gives some confidence.
It was only recently that I realised how much she hated the idea. When I've tried to get to the bottom of why it would be such an issue, I've not really had a rational answer, other than "I wouldn't feel comfortable with one in the house". I've tried showing her gun safes, and installing an extra lock on the spare bedroom door, and even suggested the idea of keeping no cartridges at home at any point, but still a no-go. Only suggestion that I've not tried is keeping the safe in the loft, though I've read mixed responses to whether loft storage is a good idea. I'll definitely be having the conversation again regardless.

dromia wrote:Best plan is divorce, you and your wife obviusly have totally differeing value systems and are completely incompatible.

Regardless of how long you have benn married 'tis better to get this sorted, better late than never.
Haha, 14 years. We're actually usually pretty well lined up with values, beliefs, etc. For whatever reason, she has a very extreme stance on this.

Mattnall wrote:Basically the answer is YES to both your questions for FAC and SGC.

With shotguns it is even easier. You can just write your shotguns on to your friend's SGC and then you can both store and have access with no problem. Your friend can store in a separate cabinet in their house/garage/etc and can even bring them along if you go to the same shoots.

You tell your FEO where you'll be storing them and that is the storage address on your SGC. FAC is similar but the duel access arrangements need to change, not a big problem and I know of a couple of members of my clubs that store at friends' houses, some store at the club houses (especially at Bisley) and others at a tame RFD's address.
Thank you. Unfortunately, I don't actually know anyone personally with a SGC - it's why I've been gravitating more towards the club storage idea. It's good to know that it may at least be possible.

Blackstuff wrote:You certainly want to have a proper conversation with your missus before you apply for your SGC as if she's present during the interview she may say something that could be taken out of context and scupper your application. I notice with my renewal papers that have just been sent out they want the full details of everyone living at the property so they may contact her (almost certainly will IMO if you say she doesn't want guns in the house) regardless of whether she's there or not.

I obviously don't know you or your partner but some people say crazy things, especially in the 'pressured' situation of having someone in 'authority' present. :squirrel:

If it is just a security issue she has Pippins idea is a good one if you have someone that fits the bill. :good:
GeeRam wrote:^^^^This.

You need to sort this out with the missus before you go any further tbh.

As said above, the storage with a good mate is one option, but if just starting, it would depend how you've got into it via a friend who shoots or just had a trial at a local club? If via friend, then consider this option, if you are shooting with this person all the time. If not, then its not viable.
Some bigger clay clubs/shooting grounds will have storage, but this won't be cheap, so you will need to find a club/school that does have this option before going further. It would also restrict you to just shooting at this one place all the time in reality, which again, long term isn't a great option.

Better to resolve the issue with you missus now or put the idea aside. I gave up shooting for 10 years as a result of a similar situation with my now ex-missus, as she had a past history with mental health issues, so I understand the situation you are in.
Polchraine wrote:Mattnall's suggestion about having a friend who stores it for you is a good way. Put in on his/her SGC, tell the FEO where you are storing it and why. You do not even need access to the cabinet.

At one time, I had an SGC, no guns, no storage, but it allowed me to borrow a gun for a day ...

Apply for your SGC and talk it through.
Thanks all, that's a good point - I would need to have a serious discussion with the other half in preparation for the 'visit'.

@GeeRam - Sorry, should have clarified earlier. In my much younger days (back when I lived at home), I was an air rifle enthusiast. When I moved out I ended up not taking them with me due to it just not being practical at the time and I ended up selling at a later date. Last year, we went clay shooting on an away day with work. It effectively reignited my love of shooting, and I ended up going a few times on my own afterwards.

I accept that storing at a club might be rather limiting in the sense that I would effectively be limited to shooting only there. It's certainly not ideal, but I think if I could find somewhere reasonably local that I would be satisfied with it if it turns out to be the only choice. Thanks again.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

Re: SGC and Shotgun storage

#12 Post by GeeRam »

genghis wrote: I accept that storing at a club might be rather limiting in the sense that I would effectively be limited to shooting only there. It's certainly not ideal, but I think if I could find somewhere reasonably local that I would be satisfied with it if it turns out to be the only choice. Thanks again.
You'll most likely be looking for one of the bigger clay shooting grounds and schools, that have an on-site attached shotgun sales room/shop/RFD, as they will likely allow storage with them. Again, not cheap, you could be looking at anything between £15-30 month...?

Good luck.