Will I get FAC to shoot on smallholding of 4 acres

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Sandwich

Will I get FAC to shoot on smallholding of 4 acres

#1 Post by Sandwich »

Hi All - This is my first post here so go easy on me!

I’ve recently moved into a place with a few acres attached to the property (approx 150m x 150m square). The land has a road to the eastern side (single car width minor road) and to the southern boundary there is a row of several houses and an unclassified track (also where I live). The field slopes up north away from the houses at 1 in 7 so offers solid backstop. I’ve been quietly using a borrowed air rifle shooting north to keep some of the vermin down but I’m finding that the accurate range isn’t good enough (or perhaps my stalking isn’t up to scratch!).

My question is am I reasonable to think that I would be justified in asking for a license for a .22 Rimfire with suppressor to discreetly control vermin on this small a patch of land? Ideally I’d like to do a little target practice for fun too though again discreetly and early in the morning so as not to upset any neighbours along the southern side of the field.

My shooting experience is limited at the moment so I’d take a shooting course first to show I can safely handle a gun if needed (though I do have some experience shooting shotguns, .22 rim fires and air rifles already).

Does this seem reasonable or will I likely be refused? Mainly asking as I don’t have many friend/family in the shooting scene and don’t really have many people to ask.

Thanks
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Will I get FAC to shoot on smallholding of 4 acres

#2 Post by dromia »

The only way of knowing is to ask the certification department.

It seems to depend 'pon how experienced your are at shooting in the field at live quarry, if a tyro then they may suggests getting some help from an experience live quarry shooting mentor.

It is not just about safe handling but also experience in reading the ground so that any shot taken is safe and if not safe then knowing not to be tempted to rake the shot.

I find most live quarry courses to be worthless as a way of learning to shoot over ground but unfortunately going on a course is seen by some as a necessity.

You will also need insurance.

I would not say anything about target shooting on the land as this equates to using the ground as a range and that will open up a whole can of worms.

If permission is given then it usually comes with permission to zero on the ground

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#3 Post by bradaz11 »

I’ve been quietly using a borrowed air rifle shooting north to keep some of the vermin down but I’m finding that the accurate range isn’t good enough (or perhaps my stalking isn’t up to scratch!).
then maybe you need to set up with a target and find out which it is, as if it is the latter, then I don't think firing .22s off into the bank will help.

Ideally I’d like to do a little target practice for fun too though again discreetly and early in the morning so as not to upset any neighbours along the southern side of the field.
nope, this is not allowed. Zeroing is allowed, but no description of zeroing is given. so is zeroing putting a mag full into a target, or 2? no one knows for sure.

only way you'll know any answers is by asking those with the power to say yes or no. is a .22 most appropriate, or would a shotgun be better?
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Sandwich

#4 Post by Sandwich »

Thanks for your advice both.

So I should approach the FEO for my area and ask about land size de minimus first as the laws are applied inconsistently across the country. Also I should find a local club or company that does live quarry courses and sign up to the club (should I start a new thread asking where has places in my area or is there a place on this site with this information already?)

Bradaz11 - yeah sorry if I wasn’t clear, I can hit a target with the crappy air rifle I borrowed but it’s just not accurate beyond about 20 meters and the rabbits in particular don’t often let me get that close. They usually sit out in plain sight further up the field in the morning and evening and can see me coming a mile off. I think a shotgun might be effective for the foxes to keep them out of my hen house but it’d be too noisy with horses and neighbours nearby. So I prefer the idea of having a sound moderator on a rifle.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#5 Post by bradaz11 »

you can get suppressed shotguns, but I've never used one.

Just talk to the FEO and see what they want you to have before you do anything.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Polchraine

#6 Post by Polchraine »

Have you considered an FAC air rifle? Maybe easier than a .22 rimfire.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#7 Post by Alpha1 »

You are not going to get the answer to your query on a Forum you need to talk to your local licencing department.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#8 Post by Pippin89 »

One thing no one has mentioned but you should be aware of. Given your experience and its your first application, you will have a "closed" FAC. Meaning any land you shoot on will need to be signed off by police for the calibre you want to shoot.
Send your local firearm licencing department a google maps image of the land with the boundary marked, plus photos and a description of what you want to shoot. Ask them if permission would be given for a .22lr on that land. Once the land is approved, the FAC application should be straight forward enough barring any request they have for mentorship/training.

But as other have said, the FELU will give you the best answer. Good luck.
AL8

#9 Post by AL8 »

Its all about justification, and a large part of that is doing a risk assessment.
As has already been stated goggle maps can help a lot, buts all down to your department.
Sandwich

#10 Post by Sandwich »

I have sent the FEO a message through their online form (couldn’t find a number to contact them direct). I’ll keep the thread updated on how it turns out though it may take a while for them to respond. Thanks again to all who have posted here.