NRA or BASC or another

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

HeatherW762
Home club or Range: OSM, NRA Bisley

Re: NRA or BASC or another

#41 Post by HeatherW762 »

Gaz wrote:
ovenpaa wrote:

I'm not a member of any of the national associations, although I'm near enough to Bisley to make joining the NRA a viable prospect. I have to say, though, the sole reason I'd bother joining them is so I could book a target in my own right. That I'd have to go through the whole probationary member process, as a non-FAC holder, despite having been shooting TR for 7-8 years now, is also a negative point.

I tend to stay out of these discussions as I know I will just be shouted down by Dromia & Robin (hence why I've been silent on many subjects) however, just to set the record straight on your comment above, Gaz, if you are already a competent shooter then you do not have to do the probationary course. You can join (and be come a full member) as a member of another HOA club or you can do our half day assessment. You would be a probationer for 3 months if you go down the assessment route but could still shoot with the NRASC on their club days.

Heather
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye (Miss Piggy)
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#42 Post by Ovenpaa »

HeatherW762 wrote:I tend to stay out of these discussions as I know I will just be shouted down by Dromia & Robin (hence why I've been silent on many subjects)..........

Heather
That is not the way this forum should be working Heather, each and every F-B(UK) forum member should be able to comment on any and every thread here without fear of being shouted down. :(
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#43 Post by dromia »

I'm sorry that you think you have been shouted down, I know that we have had some robust discussion but I can assure you it has never been my intention to "shout you down".

On these forums every one says there piece and the words are there for readers to decide what value they place on it.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
HeatherW762
Home club or Range: OSM, NRA Bisley

#44 Post by HeatherW762 »

dromia wrote:I'm sorry that you think you have been shouted down, I know that we have had some robust discussion but I can assure you it has never been my intention to "shout you down".

On these forums every one says there piece and the words are there for readers to decide what value they place on it.

The difference being that you can have an opinion and 'slag off' who ever or whatever you want but I cannot as I'm representing the NRA as well as myself on this forum. Therefore I cannot be contentious nor can I state fully my personal opinions as, on occasion, they may go against company policy. I cannot enter into 'spirited' conversations in case I am quoted (probably out of context) elewhere. It is restricting but I understand it. I just wish others would as well but hey........

Heather
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye (Miss Piggy)
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#45 Post by Mike357 »

Heather we are lucky to have several people on FBUK that are involved with the NRA and I'm sure that I speak for everybody in saying that we appreciate your involvement and I understand and respect your position. Any comments by members I'm sure are directed at the NRA and not individuals.

It is perhaps a measure of what the NRA needs to do to reconnect with shooters across the UK that drives the frustration and sometimes angst of forum members. The NRA I'm sure was a great organisation but it has stood still whilst the world has moved on thereby in effect going backwards. Recent posts have given a glimmer of hope as the state of the finances have now been fully uncovered and action taken to address this.

The NRA "could" really be a force for shooters if it were to modernise, promote disciplines other than TR equally and be more representative of the whole UK shooting community.

It seems it knows what it needs to do. It is indeed do or die time for the NRA and Bisley but please keep posting Heather.
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#46 Post by Ovenpaa »

The NRA certainly appears to be recognising some issues and putting systems and actions in place to deal with them, personally I have all of my fingers crossed for a swift resolution and a newer, leaner more dynamic and proactive NRA. I sincerely hope it works out for them and I will try and support them as much as is possible.

So yes I am pro NRA although I do try to remain unbiased and will happily tell people if I think they are wrong. One thing you mention is the TR shooting. I always thought that Bisley was a shooting club for people into bondage and the truth is quite different. At the 1000 yard firing point yesterday I was flanked by some F Class shooters at a monthly meeting, on the other side some tacti-cool types and then some ML shooters complete with clouds of smoke (Handy for a quick wind direction indicator) and flasks of hot water. Way down left at 900 were some TR shooters but that was about it.

The morning at 600 did have it's fair share of TR shooters however it did look like there was some sort of reasonable sized meeting going on and that does mean cash for the NRA which is always good. The shotgunners were making a hell of a racket destroying clays and np doubt the gallery ranges were in use so a wide range of disciplines was being covered. The wind course I was on had one TR shooter and other than that it was for the most .308 scoped stuff, I think the exceptions being a 6,5-284 and Christel with her gurlie gun.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Christel
Site Admin

#47 Post by Christel »

ovenpaa wrote: and Christel with her gurlie gun.
:55: :55:

Can't believe you called her that.
She is not gurlie, she is kewl.

Eagernoskills, help me out here!
John25

#48 Post by John25 »

As a member of the NRA and (for a little while longer) like Heather I feel that there are some discussions in which I should not participate.

This applies equally to this Forum, my position as Clerk of Works and my post on NRA General Council.

Work colleagues will know that I am no shrinking violet when it comes to expressing my views 'in house' but that is where they have to stay.

Heather feels the same I know and she should be congratulated.

We are all 'slagged off' regularly here by disgruntled customers,it's part of the job description.

However, slag me off, (or one of my ex-colleagues) when I have gone and be prepared for a broadside. I have plenty of shot in my locker.

I am also looking forward to making my contibutions to General Council a little more - shall we say - positive?

:twisted:
Gun rhymes with fun.

We are constrained only by the rules of safety and our own imagination.

John

http://www.bisleyshootingservices.co.uk
Robin128

#49 Post by Robin128 »

HeatherW762 wrote:
I tend to stay out of these discussions as I know I will just be shouted down by Dromia & Robin (hence why I've been silent on many subjects) ...Heather
Oh, come off it... :G ...dare anyone disagree with you or have a different viewpoint?

:roll: :roll: :D
John25

#50 Post by John25 »

Robin128 wrote: Oh, come off it... :G ...dare anyone disagree with you or have a different viewpoint?

:roll: :roll: :D
Good point :good:
Gun rhymes with fun.

We are constrained only by the rules of safety and our own imagination.

John

http://www.bisleyshootingservices.co.uk