Ammo cost & supply in the UK ?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Ammo cost & supply in the UK ?

#11 Post by Ovenpaa »

None at all, and within reason no limit on primers as long as you do not exceed the 5kg limit or you have a certificate to hold more.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Blackstuff

#12 Post by Blackstuff »

I always thought France had that crazy no 'military' calibres for civilians rule? :?:
DVC
Tower75

#13 Post by Tower75 »

Blackstuff wrote:I always thought France had that crazy no 'military' calibres for civilians rule? :?:
I *think* they do. I think all "military" calibres are redesigned and called something else, like a redesigned .303 would be called .303Z and is made 2mm wider so it wont chamber into a true .303 rifle.

I'd be interested to know. I'm sure froggy can answer it. Is a .223R a "redesigned" round?
Wait, so I can own a .55 calibre Boys anti-tank rifle, but not a .22 pistol?
Ovenpaa

#14 Post by Ovenpaa »

I thought in France military chambered rifles could be owned but the licensing was more involved. it will be interesting to read what they really do in France.

Has anyone noticed how people on American shooting forums often assume pistols and Semi Autos are illegal in the UK? At first glance our gun laws are incredibly restrictive but if you look closer there are all sorts of ways to have fun with a gun.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Steve

#15 Post by Steve »

ovenpaa wrote:but if you look closer there are all sorts of ways to have fun with a gun.
Just where do you start..? O:-)
Do or not do-there is no try.
Master Yoda
Steve

#16 Post by Steve »

Tower.75 wrote:
Blackstuff wrote:I always thought France had that crazy no 'military' calibres for civilians rule? :?:
I *think* they do. I think all "military" calibres are redesigned and called something else, like a redesigned .303 would be called .303Z and is made 2mm wider so it wont chamber into a true .303 rifle.

I'd be interested to know. I'm sure froggy can answer it. Is a .223R a "redesigned" round?
Never knew that.I suppose some countries have peculiar laws and this is obviously the French way! :lol:
Master Yoda
froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#17 Post by froggy »

Re-

I always thought France had that crazy no 'military' calibres for civilians rule?

This is not completly correct.

in France military chambered rifles could be owned but the licensing was more involved.
In a nut-shell in France, as the law currently stands, a licenced shooter can own, subject to the equivalent of a FAC, renew-able every 3 years, 12 restricted fire-arms (section 1 and 4) with the following break-down of 5 central percusion + 7 rimfire and illimited non-restricted firearm (section 5 and 7) with no need to re-new.

Section 1 : military caliber fire-arms
Section 4 : sporting caliber fire-arms,

Section 5 : hunting caliber fire-arms, (manual action or semi-auto but with fixed mag)
Section 7 : 22lr manual repetition rifle,

As far as ammo is concerned,
Section 1 1,000/year ticket that can be re-applied as many times as you want and as many time admin processing will take.
Section 4, 5 & 7 no quantity limitation .

So we end up with funny situation where
a Mauser K98 in original 7.92x57 (8x57) caliber is Section 1, so I need a FAC, it goes against my 7 max quota and I am limited to 1,000 rounds
but
if I own exactly the same rifle rechambered in 8x64s or in 8x60s it becomes a section 5 and I then only need to show my sport shooter licence, tell the Gendarmerie and I can own as many as I want, same goes to the ammo.

Same story for a Lee-Enfield in original 303 which is section 1 and the rechamber 303S caliber which is section 5...

In France you can find some G43 with welded mag restricted to 3 rounds and rechamber in a "hunting caliber" so it can become a section 5 owned by a hunting-licence holder with no time restriction.
etc ... etc ...

you can find more info in english on http://www.eurotir22.com/info
Last edited by froggy on Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
Doz
Past Supporter

#18 Post by Doz »

It makes our law look simple! :lol:
Ovenpaa

#19 Post by Ovenpaa »

Well that has made things slightly clearer. What would be a good example of Section a 5 semi-auto firearm and cartridge?
/d

Shed Journal
Steve

#20 Post by Steve »

Doz wrote:It makes our law look simple! :lol:
Thats what i thought!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Master Yoda