FLO visit and looking good for a 7.62 :)

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

JonC

FLO visit and looking good for a 7.62 :)

#1 Post by JonC »

Finally had the FLO vsit and hes happy with the 7.62/.308 variation :flag5: (was renewing at the same time). So I now need to do some more rifle research, basically looking to shoot FT/R on a modest budget. I have been looking at guntrader for remmy 700s, but most listed there are new. Any suggestions on other places to look, and makes models to look for? Have seen a nice Steyr SSG on guntrader that looks like an option, but not turning up that many second hand setups. Savage F T/R also looks good, but I havent turned many up in my searches.

Other problem is going to be the optics. What do people normally strap on the top of a starter FT/R rifle?

3rd edit.. Any shops that a worth a visit in the south east? Heading to Bisley on Saturday so will give faultons the usual once over.
Cheers

Jon
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

Re: FLO visit and looking good for a 7.62 :)

#2 Post by kennyc »

JonC wrote:Finally had the FLO vsit and hes happy with the 7.62/.308 variation :flag5: (was renewing at the same time). So I now need to do some more rifle research, basically looking to shoot FT/R on a modest budget. I have been looking at guntrader for remmy 700s, but most listed there are new. Any suggestions on other places to look, and makes models to look for? Have seen a nice Steyr SSG on guntrader that looks like an option, but not turning up that many second hand setups. Savage F T/R also looks good, but I havent turned many up in my searches.

Other problem is going to be the optics. What do people normally strap on the top of a starter FT/R rifle?

3rd edit.. Any shops that a worth a visit in the south east? Heading to Bisley on Saturday so will give faultons the usual once over.
Cheers

Jon
22/23rd is a good weekend to visit as there are trade stands there for the Trafalgar weekend
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

Congratulations on getting the 7,62/.308 slot in principle.

Heh! It is always fun to spend someone else's money. I saw this the other day, single shot is good for F/TR and he would probably drop on price. Add a bipod, rings and scope and you have a lovely rifle, of course you may decide it needs a heavier barrel. Hmmm... it is getting pricey now. Do you have a budget in mind?

http://www.full-bore.co.uk/viewtopic.ph ... nal#p45743
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dodgyrog
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#4 Post by dodgyrog »

kennyc wrote:
JonC wrote:Finally had the FLO vsit and hes happy with the 7.62/.308 variation :flag5: (was renewing at the same time). So I now need to do some more rifle research, basically looking to shoot FT/R on a modest budget. I have been looking at guntrader for remmy 700s, but most listed there are new. Any suggestions on other places to look, and makes models to look for? Have seen a nice Steyr SSG on guntrader that looks like an option, but not turning up that many second hand setups. Savage F T/R also looks good, but I havent turned many up in my searches.

Cheers

Jon
22/23rd is a good weekend to visit as there are trade stands there for the Trafalgar weekend
Well done on the 308.
I have a stand along with Dromia from this site at the Trafalgar - look for us in the Pavilion. My table will be groaning under the weight of cast boolits.
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#5 Post by Mike357 »

As for optics, you'll not ho far wrong with one of Brian Fox's £115 Chinese scope. Great value for money and will get you on Target for several years. Already used by several league shooters.
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
JonC

#6 Post by JonC »

Cheers for the info, going to keep an eye open and see what is around. Just waiting for the cert to turn up.