Range bag

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Dave 101

Range bag

#1 Post by Dave 101 »

The question is what do you use to take your equipment to the range in . I have used a one compartment cordura bag for many years now , it has a front pocket for FAC and range keys , it will take an A4 folder with my printed targets , small tool box , ammo etc .
Iam in the process of making a fold up shooting bench and target board to fit onto a 2 wheel trolley and was thinking maybe some sort of box would be better strapped onto the trolley .
Any one have this set up or any good ideas .

Dave
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Range bag

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

I have a personal dislike for range bags but do recognise that they are needed, for me the biggest problem is finding something that has actually worked.

If I am out with the AI then I am of the opinion that if it does not fit in the bag it does not come to the firing point. The bag being an original L96 drag bag. If I am shooting the 7mm it is a very different story, I have a trolley which takes the front rest and rifle and a sports type bag with all the bits I need, it is a far from ideal solution and needs changing.

To give you an idea this is the firing point at 1100 when I was chronoing.

/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
M99
Home club or Range: FCSA(UK)

#3 Post by M99 »

I am similar to Ovenpaa - if it doesn't fit in a drag bag then I probably don't need it, mine will take 2 rifles, spotting scope, spare mags, ammo, binoculars ear defenders, cleaning/tool kit etc and still have plenty of room left - although I will take a small day sack with water proofs/grub etc on occasion.

Mike
Ovenpaa

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

My drag bag is a bit smaller in that respect, it holds a rifle, bolt, two magazines, three 20 rounds ammunition cases, ear defenders, waterproof trousers, beanie hat, note pad, range finder, (if needed) and a small tool and cleaning kit.

I also have a shooting mat inside the drag bag that cost me a fiver years ago, it is one of the old type milsurp sleeping mats that is cloth covered and concertinas into a compact block with a cloth strap to tie it together. If someone can recognise it by my poor description and can tell me where to get them from I would happily buy one as a spare.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
M99
Home club or Range: FCSA(UK)

#5 Post by M99 »

ovenpaa wrote:My drag bag is a bit smaller in that respect, it holds a rifle, bolt, two magazines, three 20 rounds ammunition cases, ear defenders, waterproof trousers, beanie hat, note pad, range finder, (if needed) and a small tool and cleaning kit.

I also have a shooting mat inside the drag bag that cost me a fiver years ago, it is one of the old type milsurp sleeping mats that is cloth covered and concertinas into a compact block with a cloth strap to tie it together. If someone can recognise it by my poor description and can tell me where to get them from I would happily buy one as a spare.
Like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Z-FORCE-FOLDI ... 618wt_1270

Mike
Gun Pimp

#6 Post by Gun Pimp »

The Aimfield bags take some beating.
Vince
Attachments
Dragbag 006.jpg
Ovenpaa

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

How do you carry the front rest and rear bag Vince?
/d

Shed Journal
Tower75

#8 Post by Tower75 »

My main bag is just a tool-bag I picked up at a local discount shop. That carries all my main gear, rifle support, ammunition, hearing protectors, and all the misc. items like bullet pullers, case pullers, oil, patches etc.

My scope is in a separate bag and I carry my shooting mat.
Wait, so I can own a .55 calibre Boys anti-tank rifle, but not a .22 pistol?
Dougan

#9 Post by Dougan »

I use a large carp fishing bag - it's durable, water resitant and has plenty of outside pockets - When I arrive at the range, my shooting jacket is nicely folded inside, and everything else is in the right place...when I leave, everything is mixed up and jammed into the main compartment :)

I also have a small rucksac for flask/food etc. - I can just about carry the lot (although my father makes a good 'gun bearer' when he comes :P ) - next year I'll have more than one rifle, so will have to look at the trolly option.

I've always got a lightweight tarp and pegs in my bag - so that when it rains, I can cover the lot :good:
Ovenpaa

#10 Post by Ovenpaa »

Very similar, thanks for that Mike, I have it in my watch list :good:
/d

Shed Journal