Spotting Scope

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

fiveeight

Spotting Scope

#1 Post by fiveeight »

I'm trying to decide if I should get a spotting scope, and if so what type. To begin with I will be shooting at Bisley and mainly at 100-300 yards, but I would like to go to 1000 eventually. I need something with long eye relief as I wear glasses and reasonably compact would be useful as I will be using the train to get there most of the time.

I was looking at the Leupold Mk4 or the 65mm Pentax since they get good reviews and are reasonably compact. On the minus side they're not exactly cheap in the UK and they have 60/65mm objectives.

Does anyone have any recommendations for
A) What sort of objective size/magnification is sensible for 100-300 yards and 900-1200 yards
B) A reasonably priced scope that I could use for 100-300 yards for a year or so or
C) A larger/more expensive scope that will be useful at 100-300 yards and later at 1000+ yards

I read on another thread that the F class championship is going to be at Bisley this week. Is there likely to be any kind of trade presence there where I could look at scopes, or should I be asking people about the scopes they are using?
Robin128

Re: Spotting Scope

#2 Post by Robin128 »

Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#3 Post by Mike357 »

You may be able to see shot placement with the scope on your rifle. What mag are you using?
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

You are going to need a very good spotting 'scope to see holes at 1000 yards plus so lets assume you will be using it to look for mirage and the orange markers.

We ran a Kowa TNS80 (I think!) for a couple of years and found it was an overkill for sub 600 yard stuff and it missed out on the 1200 yard stuff so in the end we sold it.

Not sure what I would get if I was to look for another
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Gun Pimp

#5 Post by Gun Pimp »

Fiveeight,

Do you really need a spotting scope? Your telescopic sight will serve you just as well. You won't see bullet holes at 1000 yards but you will see the spotting-disc. Most half decent riflescopes will resolve bullet-holes at 300 yd but you need something good quality to see 'em at 600 yds.

I don't think you will see any traders with spotting scopes this weekend as 'effers don't use 'em.

Most top-end spotting scopes (like Kowa, Nikon etc) offer a long eye relief eyepiece for specs wearers but probably the best value in spotting scopes are Fox Firearms Nikula scopes. Brian Fox will be at Bisley and he might have one - ring him and he'll bring you one to look at. I have a Kowa but the Nikula was as good for half the money - I think they are round about £300.

Vince
Christel
Site Admin

#6 Post by Christel »

Use your rifle scope as Mike357 suggested as well?

Alternatively a pair of good binoculars or a rangefinder might be the solution instead of a spotting scope?

Just trying to keep weight down :D

http://www.cliftoncameras.co.uk/Steiner ... Binoculars

Just an example, I think Steiner use awesome glass!

Ovenpaa has a Leica range finder and we can see the marker at a 1000 yards.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

Good point, we have a set of Steiner's 8x22 so very compact with excellent glass. I have not tried them at 1000 yet to confirm how they fare. They will not break the bank either, only down side is you will need to support them yourself.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Dangermouse

#8 Post by Dangermouse »

Are you likely to be shooting using a rifle with a rifle scope fitted?

If so, you probably will not need a spotting scope and the money will be better spent on the rifle scope.

F Class shooters tend to have high powered rifle scopes so do not need spotting scopes, as a result you are unlikely to see any at the Europeans. However John from HPS http://www.hps-tr.com//urlshould be there and as he caters for Target Rifle shooters should be able to point you in the right direction.
http://aimfieldsports.com/ are also F Class shooters and will probably have a number of their products with them. Sightron are good rifle scopes should you wish to spend best part of £1000.

Only 1 or 2 tents selling re loading gear at last years event, not sure if there were any scopes for sale,

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
sanselm

#9 Post by sanselm »

I know Foxy will be there and his spotting scopes are good value for money - I will have two of them there in use as he donated two to me for the GB Team so you are welcome to have a peek through them, there is a trade tent there so call in and if Foxy hasn't got any get him to point me out!!!

Stuart
Robin128

#10 Post by Robin128 »

Get a sturdy tripod for it ...don't mount it on the bench...too much wibbly-wobbly.

:)