Telescopic sight: your recommendation

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

Telescopic sight: your recommendation

#1 Post by meles meles »

Okay, I've just treated myself to one of Mr Allwood's clamp on mounts for a K31 carbine and am now looking for a value for money scope to go with it. I'll be shooting at 300 yards (the marker says metres, but it hasn't actually changed position since it was designated 300 yards - that's the army for you !)

I'd like to hear what you'd recommend as a good but inexpensive scope for the job. I generally go for POSP 8x42 scopes but they don't make one compatible with the K31 mount. Ideally, I'd like it to be 8x magnification but will settle for x6. The main criterion is that it shouldn't be expensive - POSP scopes are entirely adequate and at £157 cost less than the K31 so I see no reason to pay much more than that - hopefully less.
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

Re: Telescopic sight: your recommendation

#2 Post by kennyc »

you could get a Fox scope, they go for about £115 or Hawk AGS JSR etc as long as it has enough internal adjustment for the range you wish to shoot they will all do the job, you are not going to be using the scope in a situation where maximum light gathering is an issue so maybe a 3-9x 32 or 42mm objective? I went with a 20x42 on mine but that was as much about opportunity as need, I would have been happy with 10x :)
AL8

#3 Post by AL8 »

have you tried one of the scopes that Andy sells? I plan on putting a scope mount on mine some time in the future, so I will watch with interest
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#4 Post by meles meles »

No, I've no idea what sort of scopes Andy sells. I was rather hoping for a clear indication of what would be a useful brand and model in the 6 or 8 x 42 range. If POSP did a scope without integral mounts, ie one that would fit the rings on the K31 mount, I'd simply opt for that - I'm a big fan of POSP scopes
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#5 Post by kennyc »

meles meles wrote:No, I've no idea what sort of scopes Andy sells. I was rather hoping for a clear indication of what would be a useful brand and model in the 6 or 8 x 42 range. If POSP did a scope without integral mounts, ie one that would fit the rings on the K31 mount, I'd simply opt for that - I'm a big fan of POSP scopes
in that case, anything with a 25mm tube that will work on a springer :D
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

I would be inclined to pop over to that well known auction site and see what used 'scopes with 1"/25mm tubes are available. Alternatively these guys always have a very good stock of used 'scopes

http://www.emmacustomrifles.co.uk/opticsUSED.htm
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Gun Pimp

#7 Post by Gun Pimp »

Interesting site - lots of 'classics' - not cheap but who is?

Vince
Ovenpaa

#8 Post by Ovenpaa »

I don't know the company personally nor who it is Vince, but they do have some interesting stuff, one in particular I very much like. I would certainly be looking to negotiate if I was to go after anything they advertise, but then again that is half the fun.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#9 Post by bnz41 »

Ok d which one ?
Ovenpaa

#10 Post by Ovenpaa »

BNZ - look closely at what they have and you will know which one ;)
/d

Shed Journal