Disposing of live rounds (other than shooting them!)

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

judders
Home club or Range: LPSC: Bisley & Longmoor. Wessex Rifles: Bulford & Warminster

Disposing of live rounds (other than shooting them!)

#1 Post by judders »

Hi all,

I was just tinkering with my Land Rover and a live .22LR round fell out from behind the dash! It must have been the previous owner's, as although I have a .22LR slot, it's empty.

It's intact, so presumably still live, but looking a little worse for wear and you certainly wouldn't want to use it.

So my question is as per the subject, what's the best way to get rid of it?

Cheers,

Jud
ptheta
Home club or Range: TFSA

Re: Disposing of live rounds (other than shooting them!)

#2 Post by ptheta »

Grip the head in a pair of pliars, hold the case in your hand and just twist your hand to sort of turn the head out. They come out really easily.

I've seen outdoor practical ranges end up littered with chewed up un-shot .22lr from jams in a timed round. I always try to pull mine but I can see how they might get overlooked on occasion.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

This is always a dilemma.. If you have the calibre on your ticket then you can shoot it however if it is ropey then you can either You can normally rock the bullet out on .22LR very easily with a pair of pliers with the obvious accompanying danger or hand it into your local Police station. Yes there is the option of slinging it in a ditch however I am very much against such actions.

EDIT - Ptheta beat me to it :clap:

A bigger problem is if you find something which is not on your ticket. As an RCO I had someone with a duff round, after going through the normal action of waiting a minute and then carefully unchambering the round it was obvious that the primer had been struck correctly so it was certainly duff. I asked him if he had provision for pulling it which he had not so I ended up with it at the end of the shoot, took it home and pulled it as I would do with my own ammunition. Great but what if it had been a calibre I was not licenced for....
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
judders
Home club or Range: LPSC: Bisley & Longmoor. Wessex Rifles: Bulford & Warminster

#4 Post by judders »

Cheers guys.

It's knackered so there's no point saving it to shoot; reckon I'll pull it apart then.

So, once I've pulled it apart, what's the safest way to dispose of the power that's inside?
ptheta
Home club or Range: TFSA

#5 Post by ptheta »

Chuck it on the garden. It's a tiny amount anyway.

Alternatively you could try burning it. I've raced different powders down my garage floor but frankly it's a bit dull. They don't go half as well as in the movies.
Tower75

#6 Post by Tower75 »

+1 in the garden.

Or flush it down the loo... :good:
Wait, so I can own a .55 calibre Boys anti-tank rifle, but not a .22 pistol?
judders

#7 Post by judders »

Nice one, cheers. :good:
mr smith
Home club or Range: Dundee Rifle and Pistol Club

#8 Post by mr smith »

ptheta wrote:Grip the head in a pair of pliars, hold the case in your hand and just twist your hand to sort of turn the head out. They come out really easily.

They sure do i've seen someone do it with their teeth :squirrel:
Chuck

#9 Post by Chuck »

Drop it in the pocket of a local ned and shop him to the cops.....
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
judders

#10 Post by judders »

Chuck wrote:Drop it in the pocket of a local ned and shop him to the cops.....
:lol: :good: