Remington 700

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Christel
Site Admin

Re: Remington 700

#11 Post by Christel »

Can't get the staff, can you?
:-P
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#12 Post by 20series »

ovenpaa wrote:Grass needed cutting in every picture....

:lol: I'll have to talk to the grounds man ****

I think they were taken in the winter time :55:

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Johnw

Re: Remington 700.

#13 Post by Johnw »

Gun Pimp wrote:Although I could list a dozen better target rounds than the 308, the 308 has a lot of advantages for the novice.

Brass is cheap, it's an easy round to tune, it works with an amazing variety of bullets and powders and it's a very accurate round - out to 800 yards. Yes, it might run out of steam at 1000 yds with a short barrel but even then I've seen some great shooting Remingtons in 1000 yd benchrest.

Yes, the 6.5x55 Swede is marginally better but less choice of rifles.

Don't waste your time with a 223 or 243 - accurate target rifles can be built around these cartridges - but not by the likes of Remington.

Many thanks for info. What calibre would you suggest instead of 308. ?

Vince
leebut

#14 Post by leebut »

Nice rifle matey

puts mine to shame now just bought the remington 700 varmint stainless fluted in the beastly .17 fireball for a touch of foxing

Lee
tikkathreebarrels

#15 Post by tikkathreebarrels »

Gun Pimp wrote:Although I could list a dozen better target rounds than the 308, the 308 has a lot of advantages for the novice.

Brass is cheap, it's an easy round to tune, it works with an amazing variety of bullets and powders and it's a very accurate round - out to 800 yards. Yes, it might run out of steam at 1000 yds with a short barrel but even then I've seen some great shooting Remingtons in 1000 yd benchrest.

Yes, the 6.5x55 Swede is marginally better but less choice of rifles.

Don't waste your time with a 223 or 243 - accurate target rifles can be built around these cartridges - but not by the likes of Remington.

Vince
First bowing to Vince's greatly superior knowledge, I'm going to take this opportunity to recommend my favourite rifle-related book, "The Accurate Rifle" by Warren Page, the man regarded as the force behind the development of the .243 and even he accepts that .243 is not an accuracy competition item.
tikkathreebarrels

#16 Post by tikkathreebarrels »

Johnw wrote:What's best ?
Remington 700 in
223/243 or 308 ?.

Mainly target shooting at 100 yards
At 100 yards? Buy what's available but please note comments already made about short term purchases and long term aspirations.
Ask yourself why there are soooo many remington rifles out there: no amount of clever marketing would overcome a product being fundamentally flawed. So, the Remmy 700 isn't flawed, it's just that it's built to a standard which will be satisfactory to a "market place majority".

Consider this though: my .22/250 foxing rifle is based on a blueprinted remmy 700 action and careful load development gives me cloverleaf groups at 100 yards. I've been thinking about whether to use it as the base of a 1200 yard rifle with a rebarrel and restock and have concluded that it'd make more sense to start again.
EagerNoSkill

#17 Post by EagerNoSkill »

Alan
The development / metamorphosis of your gun reminds me of the story of a handyman who lends you his "great grandfathers hammer" so you better bring it back ... its on its 3rd head and 5th handle but its my great grandfathers hammer! :G
European 2012 FTR Champion (November 2012 I had +- 112 very lucky shots in a row)
“F-Open shooters are compensating for something”
I make an awesome friend and even worse enemy.
Chuck

#18 Post by Chuck »

Just save up and by a Steyr SSG, or an Accuracy AE / AW. All that money on a new Remmy then more dosh to make it do what you want???.
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Gun Pimp

#19 Post by Gun Pimp »

[

[/quote]

First bowing to Vince's greatly superior knowledge, I'm going to take this opportunity to recommend my favourite rifle-related book, "The Accurate Rifle" by Warren Page, the man regarded as the force behind the development of the .243 and even he accepts that .243 is not an accuracy competition item.[/quote]

An excellent book - although it could be regarded as a 'little dated' it is still a great read with lots of relevant info.
Vince