Scope ring height

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

judders
Home club or Range: LPSC: Bisley & Longmoor. Wessex Rifles: Bulford & Warminster

Scope ring height

#1 Post by judders »

Hello all,

My new rifle is ready to collect now :shakeshout:and I've got a scope to see me through until I replenish my scope fund (epic MOT failure by the Landy wiped £1000 away :bad: ).

My question - is there an easy way of determining the correct scope ring height to buy, without having the rifle in my possession yet?

It's a Remy 700 with 20 MOA rail and the scope is a Leupold 10x40mm.

Cheers,

Jud
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

Re: Scope ring height

#2 Post by saddler »

Brownells catalogue has a guide, as does the Sinclair one I believe

Want me to have a look?

From memory you'll need the Low rings for a 40mm scope
judders
Home club or Range: LPSC: Bisley & Longmoor. Wessex Rifles: Bulford & Warminster

#3 Post by judders »

Cheers Saddler, I'll check them both out. :good:
Dangermouse

#4 Post by Dangermouse »

It is generally accepted that you want your objective bell (the end of the scope nearest the muzzle) as low to the barrel as possible without actually touching it. Not only does this help with adjustments and the amount of MOA you have to use between distances but it should causes less stress on your neck in achieving the correct eye position.

So assuming that you agree:

You need to subtract the size of your tube from the size of your objective bell
Then divide that figure in 2.
The figure you are left with is the hight that the tube needs to be off the action + a little.
Don't forget that your scope rail is probably a half inch or so high as well, you will need to measure yours as they are all a little different. Yo can subtract that no from the hight of the rings you need.
Most good manufacturers advertise the hight of their rings so you can purchase safe in the knowledge.

Clear as mud?

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
judders

#5 Post by judders »

Dangermouse wrote:It is generally accepted that you want your objective bell (the end of the scope nearest the muzzle) as low to the barrel as possible without actually touching it. Not only does this help with adjustments and the amount of MOA you have to use between distances but it should causes less stress on your neck in achieving the correct eye position.

So assuming that you agree:

You need to subtract the size of your tube from the size of your objective bell
Then divide that figure in 2.
The figure you are left with is the hight that the tube needs to be off the action + a little.
Don't forget that your scope rail is probably a half inch or so high as well, you will need to measure yours as they are all a little different. Yo can subtract that no from the hight of the rings you need.
Most good manufacturers advertise the hight of their rings so you can purchase safe in the knowledge.

Clear as mud?

DM
I think so.

So my calcs are: 40mm -30mm = 10mm / 2 = 5mm + 3mm (enough extra?) = 8mm.

Rail is already around 10mm. So backing up Saddler's comment about low rings being OK.

Or have I got that totally wrong? :?
Dangermouse

#6 Post by Dangermouse »

Looks good from here,

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Steve E
Home club or Range: Where ever I shoot.

#7 Post by Steve E »

On my Rem 700 I have a Leupold 20m0a rail, fitted with Burris 30mm high signature rings. The 'Scope' I have fitted is a 10x42 30mm tube. The objective lens is 6mm above the barrel. The scope rings are 7mm high and the front of the rail is 5mm high.
Your set up should work fine.

Steve
judders

#8 Post by judders »

I ordered a pair of these in 'Low' this morning http://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/prodde ... mm&cat=484

So, rings & bi-pod ordered (delivery tomorrow, hopefully)....collecting scope tomorrow night and rifle on Monday morning.

Day off work booked on Monday and zero range at Bisley Monday afternoon me thinks. :shakeshout:
Dangermouse

#9 Post by Dangermouse »

Bisley closed mondays
judders

#10 Post by judders »

Doh! Maybe not then. :roll:

Typical, new toy and won't be able to use it straight away.

Oh well, good things come to those who wait....apparently.