Use of sound moderators for target shooting....

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Chuck

Re: Use of sound moderators for target shooting....

#11 Post by Chuck »

If Strathclyde allow - and they do - then anyone will!

Quote heariong, safety etc and if they get iffy, the ensuing law suit that will follow when you go deaf. :run:
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Gun Pimp

#12 Post by Gun Pimp »

meles meles wrote:A well designed and properly fitted moderator will improve the accuracy of your rifle.
If only.................!

if that were really the case, every 600/1000 yard benchgun would have a mod. fitted. As it is - I've never seen even one!

Vince
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#13 Post by Ovenpaa »

Are they allowed in BR Vince?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
DaveT

#14 Post by DaveT »

Gun Pimp wrote:
meles meles wrote:A well designed and properly fitted moderator will improve the accuracy of your rifle.
If only.................!

if that were really the case, every 600/1000 yard benchgun would have a mod. fitted. As it is - I've never seen even one!

Vince

I think that its probably improving the accuracy of YOU the shooter by reducing the tendency to flinch rather than anything inherent to the mod itself. This is a personal taste thing I think?
Samul2692

#15 Post by Samul2692 »

Chuck wrote:If Strathclyde allow - and they do - then anyone will!
Am I right in thinking then that all this fuss i've heard about getting moderators on your ticket being very hard going, is in fact no bother at all?

The only part I can't get my head round is asking for moderators on rimfire calibers as a means to protect your hearing as they aren't exactly loud now are they? Especially if you also have larger calibers like .308 that aren't moderated on your ticket.

Again many thanks for all your help guys and gals, it's nice to finally be involed in a little discussion as I spend most of my time here just lurking :shifty:
Look, let me explain something to you. I'm not Mr. Lebowski. You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. That, or His Dudeness … Duder … or El Duderino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing.
Blackstuff

#16 Post by Blackstuff »

Samul2692 wrote:
Chuck wrote:If Strathclyde allow - and they do - then anyone will!
Am I right in thinking then that all this fuss i've heard about getting moderators on your ticket being very hard going, is in fact no bother at all?

The only part I can't get my head round is asking for moderators on rimfire calibers as a means to protect your hearing as they aren't exactly loud now are they? Especially if you also have larger calibers like .308 that aren't moderated on your ticket.

Again many thanks for all your help guys and gals, it's nice to finally be involed in a little discussion as I spend most of my time here just lurking :shifty:
If you were shooting a rimfire on an indoor range without hearing protection you'd be deaf within minutes, different story outdoors but unless you like tinnitus i wouldn't do it often. :-P

Any force that gets funny about authorising moderators for any use needs reporting to the HSE. I can guarantee they'll have a sudden 'change of policy' within months, if not weeks :grin:

If i owned my own range every rifle would have to have a moderator fitted! There's nothing worse when you end up squashed 4 men to a lane and someones brings out the artillery, especially if the rifle has a side venting muzzlebrake :run:
DVC
Gun Pimp

#17 Post by Gun Pimp »

ovenpaa wrote:Are they allowed in BR Vince?
Dave,
Yes, in 600 and 1000 yd BR but not 100/200yds - even if they were, weight would be an issue so no one would use one.
Cheers
Vince
bobbob
Site Supporter Since 2016

#18 Post by bobbob »

When we started to increase our collection and added a couple of mil spec rifles we chatted around the table at our club about sound mods. Lots of teeth sucking and rolling eyes. We made our applications to Essex and just added a simple note about wanting sound mods for the protection of ours and other shooters hearing. Got them no problem. This set off more applications from other members. One day our club secretary mentioned he had seen the FLO and he had mentioned the number of applications for sound mods from our club and blamed us for it. Seems that if you don't ask, you don't get. FLO's are really nothing to be frightened of ;) Just ask.

As for muzzle breaks, they can be fun :lol: One old chap at our club settles himself at Bisley, spotting scope to his right. We usually shoot four to a target so it gets a bit tight. Bnz takes great delight in being next to this chap as on one occasion he blew his spotting scope over with the muzzle blast. .308 Steyr sniper rifle with 45 degree rearward facing muzzle break.
Never say something in Cyberspace you can't say Face to Face!!

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the Full-Bore Forum.
Ovenpaa

#19 Post by Ovenpaa »

Gun Pimp wrote:
ovenpaa wrote:Are they allowed in BR Vince?
Dave,
Yes, in 600 and 1000 yd BR but not 100/200yds - even if they were, weight would be an issue so no one would use one.
Cheers
Vince
I think the reason people might find accuracy 'improves' is the possible reduction in flinch for the inexperienced shooter or to reduce fatigue over extended periods such as 110 round competitions in one day. I occasionally shoot with a moderator on an AI and it does make a difference to perceived recoil however I have never noticed any improvement in accuracy with the moderator personally however my son who mostly uses it seems to get some fairly good results.

What I would say to any shooter is if it is allowed, makes a difference to your comfort, you feel better for using it and you do not see any fall off in accuracy then use it.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
M99
Home club or Range: FCSA(UK)

#20 Post by M99 »

You just have to quote

"To comply with the latest personal noise exposure limit set by European Directive 2003/10/EC (140 Pa or 137 dB(C))."

(I got that from my FEO) - they cannot say no then!

Mike