Use of sound moderators for target shooting....

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Use of sound moderators for target shooting....

#21 Post by Ovenpaa »

I was not sure how my request for a Mod would be received but the FEO just said yes on the spot and took my money...

Interestingly Mods are banned in Denmark as they are perceived as the tools of bandits and poachers with very few exceptions. Humane destruction in built up areas is one reason to own them but there are probably less mods held on licence in DK than we have S5 pistols for the same reason. Speaking to some of the Danish shooters they are pushing for them to be legalised for much the same reasons as we use them over here.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#22 Post by meles meles »

The accuracy improvement possible with a properly designed and fitted moderator is due to the reduction in upsetting, not the firer being less likely to flinch. The firer may be less likely to flinch, but that's not the issue we're talking about. The important bit is 'properly designed and fitted': hardly any are.

(Yet)
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Samul2692

#23 Post by Samul2692 »

Okay so i've had another pop today, shot .357/.38 and all manner of .22lr bolt guns and semi-automatics and among them where two in particular that lend well to this "debate" if we're calling it that. The first was an unsupressed Walther .22lr rifle that the owner told me was a "running boar gun", very heavy, very accurate and won him a competition or five :good: . He says the weight lends itself to helping track the targets as they move, much like you do when clay shooting (finally something i know a little about :G ). The second was a CZ 452 suppressed, comparitively VERY light and yet it felt like a PCP air rifle to shoot, almost no movement whatsoever whilst the walther had a little kick to it. I was firing the same Eley rounds through both and yet with the CZ was able to hit my target patches at will from 50 yards whilst with the Walther i struggled somewhat....

Is it just me/my shooting or is there something quantifiable to these claims of increased accuracy??? I know you said "properly designed and fitted moderator" and "hardly any are" Meles but this was just some dudes bunny basher with a dodgy scope on and it was grouping better than the walther which i am assured by not just the owner is a quality rifle.

sign01 lol

Oh and go easy on me for asking (I'm new to this rifle shooting business) :grin: but what does "upsetting" mean? I'd guessed it was something to do with recoil and the movement of the gun between the round "going off" and the bullet exiting the barrel??????
Look, let me explain something to you. I'm not Mr. Lebowski. You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. That, or His Dudeness … Duder … or El Duderino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing.
Ovenpaa

#24 Post by Ovenpaa »

I shot bext to a .308 shooter with a PEZ moderator today, it was silky quiet and he shot well at 800 yards. later in the day I was 'lucky' enough to shoot between two 300WinMag shooters, both with Muzzle brakes today, one a TRG and one a DTA (You know who you are! :lol: ) I was subjected to quite a battering and made sure my cans were turned off from that point onwards but at least I knew when it was my shot.

Moderators are nicer to shoot next to....
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Dougan

#25 Post by Dougan »

I know nothing about moderators, so please excuse the daft question...

When you talk about 'fitting' a moderator; does that mean that mean that it stays on the rifle permanently, or do you remove it to put it away in the cabinet?
Ovenpaa

#26 Post by Ovenpaa »

A Moderator usually screws on to a barrel and can be removed when not in use if needed. I tend to remove mine for cleaning and then replace them for storage as a loose fit and tighten them up to Before use.
/d

Shed Journal
Dougan

#27 Post by Dougan »

OK, wasn't sure....cheers :cheers:
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#28 Post by kennyc »

Dougan wrote:I know nothing about moderators, so please excuse the daft question...

When you talk about 'fitting' a moderator; does that mean that mean that it stays on the rifle permanently, or do you remove it to put it away in the cabinet?
never leave a mod on a rifle, there are plenty of people around who have done this and found to their cost that the condensation from the mod can run down into the barrel and rot the bore! I was offered a Steyr scout at a very good price because the last 3" of the barrel were badly pitted, less than 200 shots but the mod have never been taken off! cost the guy several hundred quid for that little oversight.
Steve

#29 Post by Steve »

Also remember that although they're on your ticket mods do not count in your overall firearm numbers-they're just an excessory.
Do or not do-there is no try.
Master Yoda