Scope question

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Buzz
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & pistol club

Scope question

#1 Post by Buzz »

I've done a search but can't really find what I'm after, I have seen some scopes I like but was unsure what type would be best.

The scopes come in 250 MOA and 1 Mil Rad and wondered which most people use? scope would be mainly used for target shooting but also some hunting too.

Scopes are Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 and Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56

As I have no idea what type of measurement is best / prefered I'll leave it to you guys :D

Cheers Buzz.
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

Re: Scope question

#2 Post by 20series »

I think most people i know have moa adjustments, its a lot easier than transposing
between the two
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Buzz
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & pistol club

#3 Post by Buzz »

Cheers, thought that might be the case.

Will keep having a look, hopefully there will be some good deals at the Newark show :D
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#4 Post by Mike357 »

Spuds has a good video on his site about MOA, worth a watch. Search YouTube for Spud1967.
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

Just to be different... I much prefer Milrad plus it is the tue European system and accordingly very popular on the metric mainland.

For me it is easier to think in Milrad, moving targets are easier to lead and windage/elevation just seem logical, once you have mastered it you are going to be onto a winner and if you know Milrad then MOA comes very easily. Downside is 95% of the shooters around you will have no idea how to convert between the two so when you are told you need to give the target 4 minutes of wind you need to do the math on the fly. However it is very easy as 1 Milrad is around three and a third MOA (3.44 is closer) So you need to dial in 1.3 Milrad or 13 clicks if it is a 1cm/klick 'scope.

Arghh...I know how this sounds but it is not that bad really, go on, give it a try, dare to be different :goodjob:
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
EagerNoSkill

#6 Post by EagerNoSkill »

The dark art of wind reading and scope systems await
Turretts that work in different directions and values to
:grin: :G :o :shock: :roll:
European 2012 FTR Champion (November 2012 I had +- 112 very lucky shots in a row)
“F-Open shooters are compensating for something”
I make an awesome friend and even worse enemy.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#7 Post by dromia »

ovenpaa wrote:Just to be different... I much prefer Milrad plus it is the tue European system and accordingly very popular on the metric mainland.

For me it is easier to think in Milrad, moving targets are easier to lead and windage/elevation just seem logical, once you have mastered it you are going to be onto a winner and if you know Milrad then MOA comes very easily. Downside is 95% of the shooters around you will have no idea how to convert between the two so when you are told you need to give the target 4 minutes of wind you need to do the math on the fly. However it is very easy as 1 Milrad is around three and a third MOA (3.44 is closer) So you need to dial in 1.3 Milrad or 13 clicks if it is a 1cm/klick 'scope.

Arghh...I know how this sounds but it is not that bad really, go on, give it a try, dare to be different :goodjob:

I've tried to get the hang of Milrads for years with out success, like most things metric I need to convert it to proper money in my head for it to have any meaning and that just makes it harder and unweildy. If I knew nothing other than milrads then I'm sure it would be different.

MOA good!

Milrad bad!

:55: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Tower75

#8 Post by Tower75 »

I'd love to be able to understand milrads, I've tried to "get it" too for ages, but I can't. Which is odd, I'm not that the bad at metric, I was taught metric at school, but I had to "teach" myself imperial when I started shooting.

Everyone I ask to explain milrads to me does it in imperial :shock: :? "1 MoA is 1" at 10-," - "Yes, I know that, but what about metric? Lets pretend Imperial doesn't exist, what is a milrad then?"

Blank stares ;) :lol:

Buzz, is there anyway you can trial a few scopes first? Borrow a club member's or a friend's? You can then see how adjusting a "MoA" and a "MD" suite you and which one you prefer
Wait, so I can own a .55 calibre Boys anti-tank rifle, but not a .22 pistol?
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#9 Post by dromia »

Tower.75 wrote: Lets pretend Imperial doesn't exist,
Good grief! you can't do that the sky would fall in on us. :o :shock:

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
DaveT

#10 Post by DaveT »

EagerNoSkill wrote:The dark art of wind reading and scope systems await
Turretts that work in different directions and values to
:grin: :G :o :shock: :roll:
Yup...... due to crap planning (and buying when the price is right!) I have ended up with about all the possible combinations of MOA & Milrad and turret elevation directions that are available! Having said that I agree with Ovenpaa ..... its not hard to convert once you get into it.

Re the original Post... take a look at Sightrons as well .... they are really good ....... most of my scopes are Schmidts but I have just bought a Sightron and don't anticipate being disappointed.