FAC Questions

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Re: FAC Questions

#21 Post by IainWR »

And people, please don't put 'elf'n'safety down as a reason to have a moderator. Nobody has yet come up with an H&S requirement for moderated guns. As soon as someone does, we will all HAVE to have them. Don't hand the opposition sticks to beat us with.

Try "reduction of percieved recoil and ability to use less obstructive hearing protection" or some such.

Iain
Apphelia

#22 Post by Apphelia »

Interesting how things vary from region to region. In my area it's virtually impossible for target shooters to get a moderator.
M99
Home club or Range: FCSA(UK)

#23 Post by M99 »

Apphelia wrote:Interesting how things vary from region to region. In my area it's virtually impossible for target shooters to get a moderator.
What force area is that?

Mike
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#24 Post by IainWR »

And Apphelia, why would a target shooter WANT a moderator?

Serious question. I have to support NRA members applications for FACs, and I genuinely do not know what the argument in favour of moderators for target shooting actually is (you can wear ear defenders, no?). Please please give me the argument so I can use it.

Iain
Dr. Strangelove

#25 Post by Dr. Strangelove »

IainWR wrote:And Apphelia, why would a target shooter WANT a moderator?

Serious question. I have to support NRA members applications for FACs, and I genuinely do not know what the argument in favour of moderators for target shooting actually is (you can wear ear defenders, no?). Please please give me the argument so I can use it.

Iain
I'm guessing:

Potentially if the shooter in question has a duff shoulder. A moderator reduces recoil, thus allowing them to shoot.

Depending on the location of the range, to reduce noise from rifles in order to not disturb the local population. I know that at Altcar, even if the military are ready to shoot at 0730, they're not allowed to start for another hour (minimum) to keep the locals happy. Obviously that's a bit of a moot point - no silencers are used on L85s/LSWs/LMGs in shooting competitions and I doubt most ranges would allow people to shoot before 0830/0900.

I was told by members of my adopted club 'oop North that it was ACPO guidelines to allow a person a moderator for H&S reasons. I'm tempted to apply for one in .30 for my Sako but it seems a bit pointless if I have one for a .308 and none for my .303s. Although I guess I could argue that I'd get them for the .303s if they existed to be attached without screwcutting the barrel.

Hopefully all of that makes sense, it's been a long day!
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#26 Post by Ovenpaa »

Iain, I have asked this question myself, many club shooters I know and speak to both as an RCO and as a fellow shooter at the point use a moderator because of the reduction in noise and perceived recoil. In simple terms it makes life more comfortable and gives them a better shooting experience. personally I have no issues with recoil or noise for the majority of rifles I have shot and for me it is all part of the experience, the .50BMG being the exception, it is something I doubt I will ever enjoy for extended shooting periods recoil being only one of the considerations.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
bobbob
Site Supporter Since 2016

#27 Post by bobbob »

Some of the Grumpy Old Men in our club moan if you shoot military type rifles with muzzle brakes fitted as they tend to blow their spotting scopes over O:-) So sound mods keep them quiet, as well as the rifle.
Never say something in Cyberspace you can't say Face to Face!!

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the Full-Bore Forum.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#28 Post by Ovenpaa »

Ex Skydiver has been working on some muzzle brakes and the MkI was very impressive, he said he could certainly notice a difference in recoil, I was next to him at the time of the test and all I noticed was a smell of powder and not the normal blast and amplified crack. His new version looks even better. :good:
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#29 Post by 20series »

muzzle brakes are the spawn of the devil **** and should be banned on any range unless you're shooting on your own :cheers:

I had a PES T12 moderator on my old 308 setup and it was so much nicer and easier to shoot with it on :goodjob:

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Apphelia

#30 Post by Apphelia »

I think that it's exactly as overpaa said: some of the shooters would like to use them because of the reduced noise. In some circumstances, such as instructing novices on the point, I can see why it would be handy to have shooters on the lanes using moderators.

Irrespective of the reason why an individual would want to use a moderator, I still don't understand why some forces allow them, and some are against them (and it's not just me: http://www.riflesintheuk.com/moderators.htm