fox gun confusion

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

tikkathreebarrels

Re: fox gun confusion

#11 Post by tikkathreebarrels »

ovenpaa wrote:I always think the 22-250 makes a good Foxer but they are fairly heavy on barrels, having said that how many shots a year do you plan on taking with it?
Well, just to confuse the OP even further, I'd argue that this was true in the olden days when barrel steel wasn't what it is now. Anything fast (.243, .220 Swift, .22/250) did used to burn out throats.

Depending on your local population you might shoot 2 or 3 on a good night and that's hardly a high round count now is it?

I've been foxing with .22/250 for over 15 years and in that time shot out one barrel which came to me s/hand with an unknown number of rounds through it.

If you're never going past 150 yards is one deciding factor and another one is that you want one shot-one kill - you want plenty of energy in the round.

Will this rifle serve a number of roles? If you're going to shoot it, even to zero and practice, on an MoD range you need to watch MV/energy limits.

Lot to think about but don't be confused....
Dave 101

#12 Post by Dave 101 »

Dougan wrote:Sounds bad - have you contacted the RSPCA ?
Its probably because the RSPCA keep releasing town foxes into the countryside .

I would go for .223 its a good all round rifle / calibre for fox and range use .
But it depends on where you are shooting if you have a lot of flat open fields you dont want bullets flying on for ever .
So a smaller cartridge may be a better choice .

Dave
the running man
Home club or Range: Bdrpc ebrpc

#13 Post by the running man »

A 22 hornet is a good round no question,the ruger 77 is also an excellent rifle (in my opinion)I've had 3 and own 2! For fox do not be drawn into the .22 or .17hmr will do for fox,they will for 20meters away after that the risk of a bad wound and it runiing away to die in agony increase expenatianly,any fool can see that just by looking at the size of the round,the people who will argue with you all day long about this long debated subject are 1.to tight or not allowed to get a centerfire 2.don't care about the welfare of the animal. As said any fool can see by the size and therefore the energy of the round..........................22 magnum will do a job up to 80m as will a hornet. But for all that hassle why not just get a .223,it will be easier to sell on,ammo widely availible as will reloading components and data,and if ure only firing a coule of rounds a month,then why not get a bull/target/thick or non sporting barrel and have the rifle for dual purpose and use it for occasional target or maqueens somewhere? If u don't care about the weight as I don't,I've got a a 223. And I use it for very long range crow! Fox,and target too!........22-250 is a bloody fast round and quite accurate but will be a pain to re sell,as would a hornet,and 222,u won't get a .243 for fox unless u already have it for deer..........having said all this the 222 was and is said to this day to be the foxing round,now I don't see it that way,I've shot one and been with a mate who ballisticly extensively tested one or 2 of them and the .223 out did it everytime..........................so as they say in bristol,yung un ya pays ure money and ugh takes ure chances!
When someone says "it's not about the money" you know what? it probably is all about money!
Mr_Logic

#14 Post by Mr_Logic »

Hornet is good for 150 yard shots with no adjustment to sights, but will kill a fox to 225 yards no problem. If yiu're regularly shooting over 150, then a triple or a 223 is the better bet.

Dougan - RSPCA cause more issues with rural foxes than any other causal factor and are the reason I will never donate to them. Bunch of muppets - pest control involves death of the pest. They need to deal with it!
M99
Home club or Range: FCSA(UK)

#15 Post by M99 »

Mr_Logic wrote:Hornet is good for 150 yard shots with no adjustment to sights, but will kill a fox to 225 yards no problem. If yiu're regularly shooting over 150, then a triple or a 223 is the better bet.

Dougan - RSPCA cause more issues with rural foxes than any other causal factor and are the reason I will never donate to them. Bunch of muppets - pest control involves death of the pest. They need to deal with it!
So far in 2012 I have shot two foxes that have evidence of surgery, now although I live on the the edge of a major city - both of these were shot on the same farm out in the "sticks" on the edge of a grouse moor (Not keepered) and SSSI - Neither showed any fear of man and both were shot inside the lambing shed!!

Mike
the running man

#16 Post by the running man »

Ide have to very respectfully disagree with the 150 yard shot on fox with a hornet,I just found it ran out of wind by then,this was a few year ago and ammo may have improved,but there's only a finite amount of powder the hornet can take and after 80 -100 at a push the round s gonna run out of kinetic energey,I say this with experience,as I've had to track a few wounded foxes becase the hornet wasent man enough,a few freinds have said the same......if this conflicts with your veiws again I'm respectfully sorry but this is my experience........I were using remmington ammo through a cz rifle, is sold it shortly after buying it,very unhappy with it.........for me .22 hornet was a bit like terminator 3,it promised so much and deliverd so little........
When someone says "it's not about the money" you know what? it probably is all about money!
spud
Home club or Range: Grovesmall Arms

#17 Post by spud »

tac 20 is a nice round the hornet is ok but at extended ranges 200 yards plus not enough gun imho personally ive had 6mmbr 22-250 243 243 ai -220 swift if i had to choose another now i would go 22br
ImageImage
Mr_Logic

#18 Post by Mr_Logic »

the running man wrote:Ide have to very respectfully disagree with the 150 yard shot on fox with a hornet,I just found it ran out of wind by then,this was a few year ago and ammo may have improved,but there's only a finite amount of powder the hornet can take and after 80 -100 at a push the round s gonna run out of kinetic energey,I say this with experience,as I've had to track a few wounded foxes becase the hornet wasent man enough,a few freinds have said the same......if this conflicts with your veiws again I'm respectfully sorry but this is my experience........I were using remmington ammo through a cz rifle, is sold it shortly after buying it,very unhappy with it.........for me .22 hornet was a bit like terminator 3,it promised so much and deliverd so little........
Let me guess - 45gr SP?

The factory ammo in a hornet is woeful except hornady's 35gr vmax load.

I shot 35gr vmax bullets at 3075fps. They killed foxes stone dead at 200+. I had one which ran 100 yards and I found the next day. I messed up the shot. All others went down like a sack of spuds and never got up.

Like so many things, bullet choice is key.
the running man

#19 Post by the running man »

Yes uve got that right,bullet is key...........
Dougan

#20 Post by Dougan »

Dave, Mr Logic and Milicer,

I get what you're saying, and have already said that I do understand why some people have to shoot them - I don't want to spoil anyones fun, but just feel that there a too many who shoot foxes unnecessarily...even seem to make a 'hobby' out of it...

I agree that the RSPCA should not be releasing sick or injured foxes in rural areas (especially not near SSSIs) - I'm actually suprised by this, and wonder why farmers and rural groups don't communicate their concernes to the RSPCA; or if they already do, then why aren't the RSPCA listening? I will contact the RSPCA (who I do support), and find out what their official policies are on releasing foxes...