fox gun confusion

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Mr_Logic

Re: fox gun confusion

#31 Post by Mr_Logic »

I used to use H110. Sold the Hornet to finance scope for target rifle. Because I have 222 and 223, I stuck with the triple instead.

I don't shoot rough much any more because I moved and still can't find anywhere to shoot, and I do shoot targets, so wasn't worth keeping. Still love the calibre though.

My load was 12.3gr H110 with 35V-max @ 3075fps (short barrel, too, gotta love the Hornet!) Was great on fox to about 200 yards, but the drop was annoying at night when I could just take a bigger gun. My shots are generally > 150 yards so makes sense.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#32 Post by dromia »

I find the Hornady 37 gn V max bullets too light and explosive even for charlie.

I use the 55gn sp, one of them in the boiler room and they are nailed.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
tikkathreebarrels

#33 Post by tikkathreebarrels »

tisme wrote:13gr Lil gun, cci primer, chrono at just over 3000ft per sec. We couldn't believe it either, it was shot in the right place, slightly at an angle, entrance behind the front shoulder, exit other shoulder. It didn't get up but wasn't dead. I have had one run 150yrds when it was shot between the eyes, exit in the back of the neck with a .22H (bullet pos ran around the skull). I know most of the fox I have shot with a .22H were dead with one shot but so far all the fox's I have shot with the .223 are 1 shot instant kills.

.22h is a very accurate round and cheep to load but I don't think they are the best for fox.

What powder do you use?
Hmm. Nothing wrong with MV, I'm absolutely astonished to hear of a VMax not doing its ballistic tip thing and passing through. In 16+years I've never needed a follow-up shot to an animal which has taken a 55 grain VMax leaving me at around 3600 fps and at ranges from 50 yards to 250 yards. What was the exit wound - big big mess (which ought to be trauma enough in itself to be fatal) or smaller than a golf ball? As to your other shot I can see how a target type bullet might go through the nasal cavity, possibly through the mouth and exit the neck in the way you describe but a ballistic tip? Shouldn't happen like that.
tisme

#34 Post by tisme »

First fox, exit wound large in shoulder and It would have died if I had left it, but I would rather they died as the shot hit them. The head one, the exit wound was smaller than a golf ball. I've never seen a V max not make more of a mess either.

Yesterday at 11.30am we had a fox trying to eat our chickens again. It had got through the fence and was only a few yards away from a big meal. Luckily I was just about to do some re loading so I was standing with my safe open when I was told the fox was there. As I ran out into the garden it just looked at me and then turned back to the chickens. It didn't try to run off at all. A 55gr from a .223 dropped it in a flash.

Three locals have all lost their chickens in the past two weeks. All during the day, just hope it was this fox.