Some RFDs now like S/H car dealers!

Had a good experience with a gun shop or rifle maker? Found a good deal? Tell us about it. Had a bad experience, TELL THE GUN SHOP!

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Posting of negative comments in the Gunshop section could bring unwanted criticism on the forum, having said that it is important to let members know if dealings with a Gunshop were less than ideal for you. To that end we will allow what will be known as the 'Scotsgun Ruling'

The Scotsgun Ruling:

>Add Gun Shop here<

"As I've yet to have a 'positive' experience there, I'll refrain from commenting further."

Beyond that please take it up with the Gunshop, if you do resolve the issue in a agreeable manner let us know!

This rule applies to the entire forum.
Sim G
Past Supporter

Some RFDs now like S/H car dealers!

#1 Post by Sim G »

Seriously, spoke to two RFDs this morning about guns they have advertised on GT. Both I believe are shops and not part time from home. Well the experience was less than pleasant....

I didn't even get to the haggling over price, despite the inflated advertised asking, I only looked for clarification on the wording of their add before opening negotiations!

One I could easily hear the sucking of teeth and long intake of breath and the second got really uppity after pointing out that something he wrote in his add was not truthful!!

Explains why a lot of new guys once they have their tickets all of a sudden appear in the club with guns that raise eyebrows of others....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Gazza

Re: Some RFDs now like S/H car dealers!

#2 Post by Gazza »

I've come to the conclusion that RFD's are rolling in cash as I've asked 3 for a price on a new high end rifle and not one got back to me. They obviously don't need the money! :D
The Gun Pimp

#3 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Gazza wrote:I've come to the conclusion that RFD's are rolling in cash as I've asked 3 for a price on a new high end rifle and not one got back to me. They obviously don't need the money! :D
I doubt that very much but there's no excuse for poor customer service.
Activ8
Home club or Range: WDRPC, Rossendale, UKPSA & BASC member

#4 Post by Activ8 »

Well I can tell you now RFD's are not rolling in cash lol. But used guns are where they make their money along with clothing & accessories. The problem is customers have this idea that a gunshop makes silly money on a new gun, I had one guy trying to convince me we made 60% per shotgun! In reality it's single figure %'s. On a used gun however they can make a lot more so it's in their interest to buy as cheaply as possibly.. if you're made an offer for a gun & you don't like it then don't take it, if you see a gun & think it's overpriced & they won't haggle then walk away. Others will buy it/sell it at some point & sadly that's a reality, don't forget any used gun they buy has to be serviced, & offered with a warranty & they do want to make something on it! You'll always get more selling private & people are more likely to haggle.
Current armoury:
CZ 452 Silhouette .22lr B/A Hawke scope
M&P 15-22 MOE FDE .22lr S/A Vortex Sparc II
Benelli Super Nova S1 shotgun with +6 Nordic mag tube
Beretta 1301 S1 shotgun 9+1
Mossberg 500 Magpul S2 shotgun 2+1
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#5 Post by Mattnall »

Something is only worth what someone will pay for it. If you don't like the price go elsewhere or wait until it cannot be sold and snatch it at the following price drop.

It is like the Marlin price issue. Older Marlin 1894s aren't worth the £900-£1200 price tag I've seen people asking. But I guess I'm wrong because apparently there are some willing to pay those extortionate prices.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#6 Post by Sim G »

Making a good mak up on a gun is not my issue, far from it. It's the bollox and a lack of even basic knowledge that paints them as Arthur Daleys!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#7 Post by Dellboy »

My gripe is the lack of comunication
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#8 Post by Dark Skies »

Gazza wrote:I've come to the conclusion that RFD's are rolling in cash as I've asked 3 for a price on a new high end rifle and not one got back to me. They obviously don't need the money! :D
I've had that quite often too. Recently I was casting around to buy a couple of new BP pistols listed on GT and was attempting to ascertain some extra info and get directions to the shop. The chap wouldn't reply. I had the money ready and waiting. I went elsewhere. To this day the same two revolvers are listed for sale.

I've also had some narrow escapes where a few well known dealers tried to sell me a pup. One DID sell me a pup but Bruce at Adenbournes (my then local RFD) tipped me the nod that the seller had told him not to mention some faults if I didn't spot them. A narrow escape and the item was returned for a refund before it went on my FAC.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."