Uttings

Had a good experience with a gun shop or rifle maker? Found a good deal? Tell us about it. Had a bad experience, TELL THE GUN SHOP!

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Posting of negative comments in the Gunshop section could bring unwanted criticism on the forum, having said that it is important to let members know if dealings with a Gunshop were less than ideal for you. To that end we will allow what will be known as the 'Scotsgun Ruling'

The Scotsgun Ruling:

>Add Gun Shop here<

"As I've yet to have a 'positive' experience there, I'll refrain from commenting further."

Beyond that please take it up with the Gunshop, if you do resolve the issue in a agreeable manner let us know!

This rule applies to the entire forum.
whoowhoop

Uttings

#1 Post by whoowhoop »

I usually steer clear of retailers who have big spreads in magazines, but I went on Uttings website for a look for some bits, found what I wanted at sensible prices, ordered online on Sat afternoon with proised delivery for Tuesday. Monday I got email and text telling me parcel on its way, tracking number etc due the next day ( today). This morning got text and email before 08:00 stating 1 hour delivery slot for the morning and choice of putting it back to another day.
Parcel arrived on time.
Excellent service and good pricing
Happy is he, who goes out for the amusement of himself, and not for the amazement of others
tikkathreebarrels

Re: Uttings

#2 Post by tikkathreebarrels »

Glad to hear good retailer feedback. I remember the time when Uttings sold guns: my then "too young to buy but old enough to shoot" son dragged me up there and came away with a new Mossberg Maverick rattly gun. That gun's cycling action is still like new but it got upgraded with a multichoke barrel.
spud
Home club or Range: Grovesmall Arms

#3 Post by spud »

they use to open late on a thursday night , they were the sort of shopping trips i liked

where is steven and david nowadays , you out there guys.

i bought my first proper gun a bereeta 687 sporter there in '86 for about a grand, still got it

atb to you
ImageImage
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Blackstuff »

I've ordered a few bits n bobs from them in the past and have never had a problem :goodjob:
DVC
Chapuis

#5 Post by Chapuis »

I thought that their service was very good until last year when I had to return a Leupold scope for repair - never again will I buy anything off them. I would also suggest that anyone who has a fault with a Leupold scope return it direct to Leupold them rather than go back via the dealer and importer. I can't say anymore or I will fall foul of the site rules.

By way of contrast I have just returned from having a scope mount fitted to a rifle by Alan Rhone, not cheap but excellant service very professional and charming staff who know what they are doing. I couldn't be more pleased with the service I received.
Chuck

#6 Post by Chuck »

Dealer is liable in UK law if he sells you duff stuff. Simple - replace or money back.
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Chapuis

#7 Post by Chapuis »

Agreed Chuck, and I put it to them quite clearly that my contract was with the dealer and not the importer. I informed them that I would submit a county court claim or a claim on my credit card and all of a sudden there was a slight change in attitude. No enough though to persaude me to buy from them again.
Chuck

#8 Post by Chuck »

Too many traders try to hide behind the fact that their customers are easily fobbed off and don't know the law.

Mrs T used to get that until I showed her the Brit way -and educated Debenhams "manager" as to what a load of tripe their sign was.

The big con is clothing and some technology, saying it cannot be returned etc etc...yeah??, just quote "statutory rights"
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Mr_Logic

#9 Post by Mr_Logic »

Chuck wrote:Too many traders try to hide behind the fact that their customers are easily fobbed off and don't know the law.

Mrs T used to get that until I showed her the Brit way -and educated Debenhams "manager" as to what a load of tripe their sign was.

The big con is clothing and some technology, saying it cannot be returned etc etc...yeah??, just quote "statutory rights"
That's not strictly accurate. Reasonable length of time in terms of the faulty goods - generally now 6 months or less.

Agree though that if goods are faulty from day 1 then refund or replace, end of.

Also regarding Leupold service - GMK are absolutely shocking. I sent my Leupold VX-III in for repair (got it secondhand so only Leupold's warranty covered it) and was told it would be a while because they wait for enough faulty items to make a batch up, and then send off together to save postage. Takes the p*** - Leupold US or Leupold GMbH turn these things round in a week, but no, GMK took about 2-3 months because of their dumb policies. Making far too much money ripping people off are our firearms importers, damned annoying and only works because of our licensing regime making it so hard to change guns.
Chapuis

#10 Post by Chapuis »

Mr_Logic that unfortunately is exactly my experience of GMK, though I will say they eventually loaned me a replacement scope for a planned trip abroad when mine was away for repair, but only after I had complained quite forcefully about the poor service. GMK then even said that there would be a little something by way of compensation when I returned the loan scope. Well I am still waiting for that and even had to twist the arm of Uttings to repay the postage for when I returned my faulty Leupold to them. Uttings eventually relented by said that they don't normally repay the postage.
So while I still think that Leupold are a reputable company I believe that they are not well represented in this country and as for Uttings I will not be purchasing off them again.