Unusual shooting supply/gunshop in Kent (Hythe)

Had a good experience with a gun shop or rifle maker? Found a good deal? Tell us about it. Had a bad experience, TELL THE GUN SHOP!

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Posting of negative comments in the Gunshop section could bring unwanted criticism on the forum, having said that it is important to let members know if dealings with a Gunshop were less than ideal for you. To that end we will allow what will be known as the 'Scotsgun Ruling'

The Scotsgun Ruling:

>Add Gun Shop here<

"As I've yet to have a 'positive' experience there, I'll refrain from commenting further."

Beyond that please take it up with the Gunshop, if you do resolve the issue in a agreeable manner let us know!

This rule applies to the entire forum.
Site Supporter Since 2015

Unusual shooting supply/gunshop in Kent (Hythe)

#1 Post by 1066 »

I've been looking round for some CCI No 11 magnum caps for my .36 LePage muzzle loading pistol. Phoning round in an ever increasing radius from my base near Hastings I was out to about 30 miles before I stumbled across https://www.thebulletcache.co.uk/. (Hythe, Kent)

Not only did they have the required caps, they also had .350 Pedersoli balls so, after receiving directions (you'll need them) and arranging a slot to pick them up - off I went.

I was met at the door by Chris and led into an Aladdin's cave of reloading gear, all at very reasonable prices and loads of really unusual stuff. Off to one side there is a gunroom stuffed with used firearms of every description, the usual array of old .22 target rifles and Brno 2E rabbit rifles were there of course, but there were also really unusual drillings, .22 pumps, double rifles, flintlock pistols etc.

A couple of things that caught my eye was a Greener Martini action riot gun - complete with it's own special ammunition and a rather rare .32 Patriot 5 shot muzzle loading target pistol for a very good price. (I already have one or I would have snapped it up)

However, couldn't resist a nice Anschutz 54 Match rifle so now need to find a bit more space in the cabinet.

I've no affiliation to the shop, but enjoyed the visit, it certainly made a refreshing change from many "gunshop" experiences in the past.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
rox

Re: Unusual shooting supply/gunshop in Kent (Hythe)

#2 Post by rox »

1066 wrote:it certainly made a refreshing change from many "gunshop" experiences in the past.
They seem to think that bullets have 'heads' though...

#3 Post by 1066 »

rox wrote:
1066 wrote:it certainly made a refreshing change from many "gunshop" experiences in the past.
They seem to think that bullets have 'heads' though...
I fear the battle is lost Rox, much as I rail against it I feel it has now become endemic and we must learn to live with it. I can't really understand how this has happened, why would you call something by the wrong name, then bristle when the error is gently pointed out. Almost every dealer now uses "heads" or Bullet heads" when they mean bullets - you would think they would be at the forefront in using the correct nomenclator to avoid confusion.
TARGETMASTER
www.targetmasteruk.com
spikedueller
Home club or Range: Minsterly

#4 Post by spikedueller »

Indeed that battle is lost, there's another UK forum I belong to where the term is used deliberately by some to invoke debate & once the main dealers started using the term incorrectly it has passed into common collective ignorance.

Even when you show them old cartridge boxes stamped "Solid head" to distinguish them from the weaker "Balloon Head" cases they are nonplussed. I have a .38-55 case in my collection that has S H in the headstamp, I guess only a decreasing number of us will know what that means.

In the meantime I'm looking forward to heading to Hythe soon, I couldn't resist the .330" BSA he had advertised and the temptation to pick up some more .43" Spanish cases I fear will be too great.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#5 Post by Sim G »

Chris took over the mantel after his dad, Colin, passed away far too early. Spent many hours with both of them. Genuine, decent people.

Colin’s forte was to take any, and I mean any firearm to him and he would produce bullets and cases for you to get it shooting, if so conditioned. He was no doubt, a genius.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Ovenpaa

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

I just looked at their stock list, there must be a least a dozen guns I would give house room. Some lovely things and sensibly priced as well.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#7 Post by bradaz11 »

that 32-20 looks nice
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns

#8 Post by 1066 »

Ovenpaa wrote:I just looked at their stock list, there must be a least a dozen guns I would give house room. Some lovely things and sensibly priced as well.
There's an lot of unusual stuff not listed too. :)
TARGETMASTER
www.targetmasteruk.com
M41B

#9 Post by M41B »

I called them today and received first class service, highly recommended
Mat
I enjoy my shooting but usually get a better group with the empty cases !!!!
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#10 Post by mag41uk »

Due to seeing this thread I got a good deal on some 357 bullets. Excellent old school service.