Which scope..?

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

bhodge
Home club or Range: Oswestry Rifle & Pistol Club

Which scope..?

#1 Post by bhodge »

Right, I've recently purchased a 1994 CZ452 .22LR. It was cheap, only paid £135 for it and its in remarkably good condition. I tried it out at the range for the first time yesterday and it shot 1.5inch groups at 100yds using 40gn SK Standard ammo. The scope that was fitted was an old air rifle type which I'd borrowed just so I could test the rifle. Now, considering that the rifle wasn't expensive I don't want to overspend on a scope. I think I've decided on either a Hawke Vantage 4-12x40 ao, or a BSA Essential 4-12x44ao.....
Which would you choose?
Looking at £80 max
TX200HC .22, my one and only air rifle.
...I shoot mainly FAC these days....
dodgyrog
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

Re: Which scope..?

#2 Post by dodgyrog »

1 1/2 inch groups - sounds like the scope you have now is fine!
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#3 Post by DaveB »

I recently purchased a Nikon P-Rimfire scope. Good glass, not a lot of money and with ballistic drop compensation for standard .22RF ammunition. Don't know about availability in the UK, though.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/niko ... c-150.html
RDC

#4 Post by RDC »

Like you, I picked up a reasonably cheap CZ452 and had no wish to spend a fortune on glass. Ive got a Hawke version sat on mine of what DaveB suggests.

Slightly over your price range though.

http://opticswarehouse.co.uk/product/ha ... iflescope/

I ummed and ahhhh'd about this one or something with mildots but settled with this as it will only be used with standard velocity stuff and im happy with it's performance.
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#5 Post by Daryll »

I've also got a CZ452, varmint model with a cut-down 16 inch barrel... thats far more accurate than I am with SK Plus ammo.

Mine has a Richter Optik 8-32x50 on it, and I find its great.... as long as i do my bit, it will put the shot where ever the crosshairs are.

But I'm also a big fan of Hawke scopes, got them on several of my rifles, including my .308... they do the job for a bargain price.

The scope you're looking at is cheaper here... and within your budget:
http://www.uttings.co.uk/p121301-hawke- ... I3LFX98qzs

IMHO I'd go for the mil-dot reticle over the "rimfire" reticle.... thats designed for subsonics, so wrong for standard velocity ammo anyway.
RDC

#6 Post by RDC »

Daryll wrote: IMHO I'd go for the mil-dot reticle over the "rimfire" reticle.... thats designed for subsonics, so wrong for standard velocity ammo anyway.
That's what was I hesitant about, but when I look at it there was less than 10fps difference in what the scope is marked for and the printed velocity of the Eley match ammo I shoot in it. It's not designed for the likes of CCI quiet @ ~700-750fps but standard velocity ammo as opposed to high velocity stuff like minimag.

*Editted because I missed a word out.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

I am a fan of the Simmons Whitetail and they can still be found second hand at very good prices. We were using a 9x version with a rimfire at 240 yards earlier in the week to great effect.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
bhodge
Home club or Range: Oswestry Rifle & Pistol Club

#8 Post by bhodge »

Thanks for the replies guy's.
I think it's going to be the Hawke 4-12x40....
Maybe!
TX200HC .22, my one and only air rifle.
...I shoot mainly FAC these days....
Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

#9 Post by Kungfugerbil »

If it's Hawke or BSA I would pick Hawke every time. Better quality by some distance in my experience. Good choice in your budget :good:
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#10 Post by saddler »

My first BRNO.22 was bought 30 years or so ago.
It spent most of it's time with a German 6x42 scope on it...at first an alleged Schmidt & Bender over-run, then a genuine Schmidt & Bender.

Put your best scope on the gun you use the most.