What to buy

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Alpha1

What to buy

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

I have decided to buy a .22 rimfire it will be a bolt action heavy barreled varmit. I will be fitting a scope of some sort. I will be shooting it prone at 25 yards may be. Or preferably of a bench. I dont normally shoot .22 rimfires.
I do have a couple but they are more collecters pieces and they all have iron sights with no provision for a scope and there is no way I am drilling and tapping them.
Any recomendations I will be shooting them indoors at 25 yards and what sort of scopes would you fit I dont want to spend a fortune because my main interest is full bore shooting and thats were the bulk of my funds go.
I dont want a black gun either not interested in any thing like that.
David Nimrod
Home club or Range: North Cotes Butts

Re: What to buy

#2 Post by David Nimrod »

CZ455... can't go wrong with one of them

http://www.czub.cz/en/produkty/malorazk ... rmint.html
Last edited by David Nimrod on Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please Wake Up Before Our Humanity Is Lost Forever
Sim G

#3 Post by Sim G »

Weirauch HW60 or HW66. Scope wise, 2-7x Leupold VX2.

Second hand you could probably pick up a really nice condition items above for around 600 quid. German quality blue steel, walnut with US quality glass that will be able to perform far better than most can shoot...
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Sim G

#4 Post by Sim G »

David Nimrod wrote:CZ455... can't go wrong with one of them

We have a particular nickname for CZ rimfire bolt guns in our club! lol lol lol
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Alpha1

#5 Post by Alpha1 »

Sim G wrote:
David Nimrod wrote:CZ455... can't go wrong with one of them

We have a particular nickname for CZ rimfire bolt guns in our club! lol lol lol
Pray tell what sort of nickname not being a .22 club shooter this is all new to me.
£600 is doable but I really have no idea about .22 rim fires or scoping one.
safetyfirst

What to buy

#6 Post by safetyfirst »

Check out the savage range too. Are you fixed on new or would second hand do? You can probably get a second hand Olympic style ultra rifle mega gun for £600
Les
Home club or Range: WRPC

#7 Post by Les »

A used CZ452 - no longer available new - or a new CZ455 Varmint. The new 455 will come in at well under £500, leaving enough for a decent scope. At 25 yards, you're not really going to need anything more than something in the Hawke scope lineup. Don't be put off by anti-CZ comments .... they're not the best selling bolt action .22's for nothing. ;)

If you're looking for absolute accuracy, then try and find a used Anschutz 1413/1813/1913 (Match 54 action).
Ovenpaa

#8 Post by Ovenpaa »

The CZ452 is the most remarkably boring .22LR I have ever shot and I have shot a few. They just seem to hit what they are pointed at. You could do a lot, lot worse than a 452
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Mattnall
Home club or Range: NRA, Redricks TSC, BS1944RC, HRA

#9 Post by Mattnall »

+1 for the 452, I have 3 (well BRNO and CZ - much the same) and they are all very accurate rifles. These can be picked up second hand fairly cheap and come in a variety of styles. I don't know about the 455 but I can only guess it is as good as the 452.

A lot cheaper and just as good is the Magtech/CBC bolt gun. I bought a few of these for a project and they constantly astound me with the accuracy that can be achieved at 25yds especially in the hands of novices. Finish is good, action solid and the wood is OK. 10rnd mags as standard, threaded ½-20 and a built-in 11mm rail, fit a Hawke scope (or similar) and you'll have a great shooting rifle for under £200. More money for ammo.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Kungfugerbil

#10 Post by Kungfugerbil »

I'll say it as I'm always the contrarian... used Anschutz match 54 and one of Fox's 8-32 or 10-40 target dot scopes and you could win high level rimfire benchrest competitions for well under 500 quid.