.22 CZ rimfires

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

.22 CZ rimfires

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

Whats the difference between a CZ452 and a CZ455.
Les
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: WRPC

Re: .22 CZ rimfires

#2 Post by Les »

Alpha1 wrote:Whats the difference between a CZ452 and a CZ455.
The 452 has a fixed barrel, and the 455 can take .22lr - .22WMR - .17HMR barrels. Accuracy wise, there isn't much to choose between them, but I would put the 452 fractionally ahead if I had to put money on it.

Apart from that, there isn't much difference. Stocks obviously vary, but the trigger is the same. The bolt might be slightly different - I definitely know it's different between the 453 and 455 - but the operation is identical.

I have a 453 Premium and a 455 Varmint. If you can find a good used 452 - they're no longer in production - then go for it. You won't be disappointed.
Noodly

#3 Post by Noodly »

I too have a CZ 453. Absolutely cracking rifle. .. much prefer it over my 452. ( I know you asked re 455 but I think too many people overlook the 453)
chapps
Home club or Range: Burgess Hill TSC

#4 Post by chapps »

Just bear in mind if you want to be able to swap barrels on The 455 you need to get it as a kit in all the calibres you will want to shoot as they are all set up and head spaced for that particular receiver at the factory... it will be a lot harder to get a barrel later if you decide you want a different calibre.
Alpha1

#5 Post by Alpha1 »

Thanks
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#6 Post by saddler »

The 455 isn't a direct copy of the BRNO .22 rifle, the Model 2
Alpha1

#7 Post by Alpha1 »

I have decided that a CZ452 is my next purchase. A 20" Varmit model. So the search begins. I don't like the idea of a switch barrel as on the CZ455.
I have noticed that the majority of people seem to be shooting 16" barrels then adding a moderator that brings the length back to approx 20".
I don't understand the need for a moderator on a .22 shooting indoors in fact I don't understand the need to moderate a .22 at all so I will go for the 20" barrel.
Les
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: WRPC

#8 Post by Les »

Alpha1 wrote:I have decided that a CZ452 is my next purchase. A 20" Varmit model. So the search begins. I don't like the idea of a switch barrel as on the CZ455.
I have noticed that the majority of people seem to be shooting 16" barrels then adding a moderator that brings the length back to approx 20".
I don't understand the need for a moderator on a .22 shooting indoors in fact I don't understand the need to moderate a .22 at all so I will go for the 20" barrel.
I think people who use a .22 for hunting will use sub-sonic ammo with a moderator, just to try to stop a group of bunnies etc doing a runner after the first shot. Apart from that, I agree .... a moderator on a .22 is a bit like boobs on a bull, unless the shooter isn't wearing ear defenders, in which case it would be essential imho. ;)

Good luck with your search for a CZ452 - you won't be disappointed. Don't overlook the CZ453, either, if you find one. They are equally as good, with the added bonus of having a set trigger.
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#9 Post by safetyfirst »

I moderate most of my .22 rifles. Shooting without earplugs is much safer I find. If you're inclined then It lets you hunt without ear defenders, it reduces the noise to the tick of the firing pin and the thump of the round impacting dirt, very satisfying.

It's also much more considerate if you have neighbours and are doing some zeroing. Some of my rifles seem to be more accurate with a moderator on as well. I did some quite exhaustive testing once with a cz and a 10/22.

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using "An application"
Christel
Site Admin

#10 Post by Christel »

A moderator certainly has its place on a CZ .22, we shot one yesterday with the Army and it was not a good moderator, we were shooting subs and it was very noisy. In fact it was annoyingly noisy, not a bang but a high pitched crack.

Alpha1, you can't go wrong with a CZ if you are after a .22 that does the job, regardless of what it is, time and time again.