Modifying a .22

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Modifying a .22

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

Some of the posts on the forum have got me thinking. For example porting a shot gun barrel or suppressing an underlever.
Muzzle breaks on full bore rifles moderators on .22 rifles.
Normally I like to leave my rifles as they come especially military stuff.
As stated in my earlier posts I'm currently in the process of joining a new Club. I need a .22 to shoot on the indoor 25 yard range.
Most of the guys are shooting 16" go faster jobbies with weird thumb hole stocks and moderators. I only have one slot left and its in .22 caliber. Problem is I have been offered a Anchutz 1710 HB Varmit rifle with a 23" barrel and its a cracker for a fantastic price. It would be a great bench rest gun any way I just have to have it. But its totally unsuitable for the type of shooting they do at the new club.
So I had a look in my cabinets I have two other .22 rifles a Mauser 45 thats in bits at the moment. Its minus its rear sight and a prototype no drill and tap scope rail is under construction.
But then I came across my other .22 rifle. The rifle is older than me a lot older actually I'm 66 this year so its at least 80 years old its a very early target rifle with a peep sight. its a bolt action with a 5 round magazine and the last time I shot it the group was impressive off a rest at 25 yards. I can not remember how long its actually been since I last fired it the rifle cost me £10 out of a scrap bin otherwise it would of been melted down.
So it can sit in the cabinet never to see the light of day or I could scrap it and use the slot to buy another .22.

What I have decided to do is spend to morrow removing the rear sight. Take the action and barrel out of the stock drill and tap the action and fit a set of scope mounts or a rail depending what is the best option and fitting a scope.
The barrel is 20" I will shoot it with the scope on next week and then decide whether to leave the barrel at 20" or shorten it to either 18" or even 16" and you know what I might even thread it and fit a moderator to dampen the muzzle blast of them horribly loud .22 rounds. lol Any way a £10 rifle that hope fully I can resurect and breath new life into.
teanews whats next
glevum
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Cotswold Rifle Club

Re: Modifying a .22

#2 Post by glevum »

What is your old £10 rifle?

I was recently surprised at the prices old 0.22 rifles are fetching.

WO pattern .22s are making a lot more than they were 20 years ago.
Alpha1

#3 Post by Alpha1 »

Not sure I will check to morrow.
Alpha1

#4 Post by Alpha1 »

I spent the day playing with my .22 rifles when it came to fitting stuff up I was just not happy at all with the Mauser 45 having a scope on it so I have binned that idea and put it back to its original set up. I gave it a good clean to ease my conscience then locked her away with the rest of the old girls.

The other .22 I will fit scope basis to. I have removed the peep sight. I set it up in the mill but I'm not happy about getting the centers right for the scope bases. I need to make a drilling jig. I'm well aware I'm only an amateur at this machining gig so I will stop now until I am convinced I can complete the job successfully with out wrecking the rifle.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

Drilling a receiver to accept base screws:

I always prefer to build a base or fixture to support the receiver in the machine vice. Using such a fixture means I have a well supported component, I have a known centreline and the opportunities to damage or mar the component are removed, it also makes clocking up the receiver so much easier although it may add an hour or so to the job with the initial fixture build. On a plus side the fixture can be used again and I normally engrave it with details so it is easily recognised in the future.

Failing this you can measure the diameter or width of the receiver and assuming the machine vice is square and you have an accurate datum which is the face of rear jaw it is a simple enough procedure to secure the receiver in the vice. Pay attention to the horizontal component, I use a digital angle/level device that can be zeroed to the bed and/or vice or quill or whatever takes your fancy, I also use a small engineers level that is a couple of inches long on occasion.

Once everything is in place drill and tap the holes, I use carbide drills and Guhring taps however others are available.

There is an alternative to the centre finding and that is to mark an approximate centreline then insert a centre drill in the chuck and approximately align it the centre of the receiver. Then place a fine 6" rule between the receiver top (Assuming it is round) and bring the drill down onto the rule blade, in theory if it is centralised the pressure of the drill will hold the rule horizontal to the vice/bed, if it is off centre the rule blade will be canted to the front or back relative to the bed and corrections can be made. Old school and remarkably accurate once you get used to it. I have tested the method and you cna comfortably get within a couple of thou or better based on the DRO.

A final word of warning, never trust your eyes at this level, assuming everything is set-up correctly the machine will always be more accurate than you.

You will need a decent edge finder, sharp drill and tap(s), cutting oil and tapping compound, the correct sized screws and I drill one, tap one without moving the bed so I know everything is correctly aligned.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1

#6 Post by Alpha1 »

Thanks. I have seen the six inch rule thing done before. I am hoping to be able to make a suitable jig and complete the job. Their is no hurry.
Alpha1

#7 Post by Alpha1 »

Actually there is no hurry at all. Now I am more familiar with he way the Club probation thing works I realized I have full filled all the criteria for the .22 shooting. I don't need to shoot .22 any more at all if I don't want to. I DON'T WANT TO. Not with the stuff they are shooting any way. I just don't get moderated .22's at 25 yards. I can get away with shooting club guns if I want.. I just wish I had hung on a bit longer because I varied my certificate to loose a slot for a caliber I really wanted to a .22 slot I thought I was going to need.
I really wanted a Nagant sniper for some odd reason. But now I don't have the slot for one.
Oh poo.
You watch some one is going to offer a really good sniper for a really bargain price and I don't have the slot I have been saving since my last renewal any more.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#8 Post by bradaz11 »

vary it back again then
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Ginger

#9 Post by Ginger »

Alpha1 wrote:Actually there is no hurry at all. Now I am more familiar with he way the Club probation thing works I realized I have full filled all the criteria for the .22 shooting. I don't need to shoot .22 any more at all if I don't want to. I DON'T WANT TO. Not with the stuff they are shooting any way. I just don't get moderated .22's at 25 yards. I can get away with shooting club guns if I want.. I just wish I had hung on a bit longer because I varied my certificate to loose a slot for a caliber I really wanted to a .22 slot I thought I was going to need.
I really wanted a Nagant sniper for some odd reason. But now I don't have the slot for one.
Oh poo.
You watch some one is going to offer a really good sniper for a really bargain price and I don't have the slot I have been saving since my last renewal any more.

I think we all get the point now Alpha, you have a massive bee in your bonnet about people using moderators on .22 calibre firearms on 25yd ranges, and also you don't like shooting the stuff they do at your new club which I guess is semi auto rifles with scopes and red dots. Each to their own, they might find what ever you are shooting boring and tedious!

With regards to your variation you made, maybe you should have researched your new club more to find out what they could offer you with regards to club firearms.

Live and let live what harm are they doing to you?
Alpha1

#10 Post by Alpha1 »

They are not harming me at all. Im enjoying the experience and people can shoot what they want it makes no difference to me and no they dont shoot semi autos or use red dots. I just join in and have fun. Yes I do find it odd that people are using moderators at 25 yards indoors with .22 rifles but it seems to be the norm now a days.