Ordered a Rimfire Magic

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Odd Job

Ordered a Rimfire Magic

#1 Post by Odd Job »

I've been looking for a replacement for the SIG522 I sold. My mandatory requirements are:

1) Reliable to 500 rounds firing with a suppressor, without being cleaned. That's where the SIG522 failed.
2) Reasonable accuracy at 25 yards
3) High capacity magazines (25 rounds or higher)
4) Semi-auto
5) Adjustable comb

I first wanted a Lantac and I left a message on their answering machine wanting information. Nobody ever got back to me, so I wrote them off.
The next contender was the S&W 15/22. I fired one at the range and it would probably suit my needs with a lot of after market parts, but the bolt design and the chamber end looks very similar to the SIG522 and will probably entrap residues and require cleaning before it hits 500 rounds with a suppressor attached.

Tried a Rimfire Magic with a Volquartsen barrel at the range and it had a very nice trigger but the barrel was a bit short at 12" and I wasn't convinced the Boyd's Evolution stock on that gun would work for me with my selection of red dots and scopes. However I saw a stock Ruger 10/22 in a Hunter X22 stock and it felt very comfortable.

Looking at the bolt design, it has an exposed firing pin and rebated surface similar to the bolt on my R55 benchmark. I reckon it will be reliable, even after 500 rounds with a moderator (same as my R55 but that's a scoped bench rifle, not for off-hand shooting).

So that's what I ordered: a Rimfire Magic with a 16" barrel, Hunter X22 stock with adjustable comb kit and an after-market charging handle.

I'm going to use it mainly for shooting PL15 targets standing with a Burris Fast fire 3 initially. As it is screw cut 1/2 x 20 it should compliment my R55 benchmark with 1/2 x 28 threads for testing my next batch of moderators.

If anyone has one of these rifles and has any tips for must-have accessories, I would like to hear it.

I will post pictures when I get the rifle.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

Re: Ordered a Rimfire Magic

#2 Post by phaedra1106 »

S&W 15-22's are about the most reliable you can get when it comes to feeding, my son and I shoot ours with a moderator fitted, thousands of rounds without a single feed problem.
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
strangesam
Home club or Range: Invicta Bristol, Frome and District PC

#3 Post by strangesam »

I've RM0563, which has a 16" Green Mountain bull barrel, extended charging handle and under trigger extended magazine release. It will come (mine did) with a polymer buffer pin and 'automatic' bolt release which is the only other essential upgrades for a 10/22

Beautifully accurate gun, with Eley Force it will put 10 rounds in the same hole at 25m of a rest.

Feeding from the BX-1 magazine is very reliable, however with anything other than the BX1 I have to use different ammunition (usually StandardPlus or CCI MiniMag) as the rough oxidised case of the Eley Force provides too much drag to work if the feeding round is in contact with the one below. Never got it to work with the 110 round GSG drum (combination of feed lips and match chamber I think), but the BX 25 and 50rnd black dog drum work.

I've got a Hawke Frontier scope on it which is probably overkill but cost me significantly less than they are priced at now for LWS comps.
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#4 Post by Geek »

Looking forward to seeing the pictures, I wish I had bought a Rimfire Magic instead of a standard 10/22 then spend a fortune changing everything! Mine now only as two standard parts which are the receiver and the bolt!
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
BamBam

#5 Post by BamBam »

I had an early rifle from Roger that still used a Ruger receiver, did have the 12" VQ barrel. Wish I hadn't sold it, especially now that the Magpul X22 stock is out.
Odd Job

#6 Post by Odd Job »

strangesam wrote:I've RM0563, which has a 16" Green Mountain bull barrel, extended charging handle and under trigger extended magazine release. It will come (mine did) with a polymer buffer pin and 'automatic' bolt release which is the only other essential upgrades for a 10/22

Beautifully accurate gun, with Eley Force it will put 10 rounds in the same hole at 25m of a rest.

Feeding from the BX-1 magazine is very reliable, however with anything other than the BX1 I have to use different ammunition (usually StandardPlus or CCI MiniMag) as the rough oxidised case of the Eley Force provides too much drag to work if the feeding round is in contact with the one below. Never got it to work with the 110 round GSG drum (combination of feed lips and match chamber I think), but the BX 25 and 50rnd black dog drum work.

I've got a Hawke Frontier scope on it which is probably overkill but cost me significantly less than they are priced at now for LWS comps.
I had issues with Eley Force in a Black Dog drum mag for the SIG522. Those drums differ because of the tower on the drum, maybe that's the reason but I couldn't fire more than 4 rounds in a row without a jam.
CCI minimag was 100% and I also had good reliability with RWS target rifle.

Good to hear the Rimfire Magic will do the job, I have ordered 4 of those BX25s with it. I will probably use CCI minimag when shooting without the moderator, and a mix of RWS target Rifle and Eley Sport for the moderator testing.
The Lord Flashheart
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Ham & Pea

#7 Post by The Lord Flashheart »

Can't wait to try it old fruit, if it's anywhere near as accurate as your T/C it should be quite a toy indeed. :)
JSC
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA

#8 Post by JSC »

BamBam wrote:I had an early rifle from Roger that still used a Ruger receiver, did have the 12" VQ barrel.
I've got one of those but with the 16.5" VQ barrel. Must be well over 20 years old by now and still going strong.

As reliable and accurate as anything else out there today and weighs just over 2100g all in.
Odd Job

#9 Post by Odd Job »

The Lord Flashheart wrote:Can't wait to try it old fruit, if it's anywhere near as accurate as your T/C it should be quite a toy indeed. :)
That's what I am hoping. All I want is a semi-auto that's as reliable as the R55 and at least as accurate as the SIG522 when shooting off-hand.

I've heard the rifle has been built and is being shipped soon, so I should have it within 7 days.
Fridge
Home club or Range: East Bristol Rifle & Pistol Club

#10 Post by Fridge »

My other half and I both have Rimfire Magics bought as barreled actions.

Mine has the 16" Green Mountain barrel in a Tapco tactical trainer stock, hers with the Volquartsen lightweight barrel in a Boyds Evolution stock.

Both shoot great, very accurate. Mine runs like a sewing machine on anything I feed it. Hers is a little fussier with the occasional FTE which I put down to tighter tolerances maybe in the Volquartsen barrel but loves SK ammo.

Very pleased with ours, would buy them again tomorrow..