Correct use of a semi-auto

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

RDC

Re: Correct use of a semi-auto

#11 Post by RDC »

Nelly2014 wrote:
RDC wrote:Has someone had a whinge to spark this thread?
I have personally encountered negative attitudes towards black semi-autos and rate of fire at a number of clubs past and present but the most recent has prompted me to raise the subject.
Any reason it should not be discussed?
Settle down, I've not even hinted it shouldn't be discussed.

All I wanted to know was the context as it looked like something specific had caused you to post.
ozone
Home club or Range: Thorpe Cloud

#12 Post by ozone »

Never had an issue in my club and there are a few semi auto's
In use most range days. Us semi auto shooter's try to be furthest
Right so any ejected cases don't drop onto other shooter's but
Apart from that never any issues about rate of fire.

ozone

Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#13 Post by Dellboy »

If we are going to shoot rapid semi auto we know who to go in the range with ,so we are all 'mad' together ,just a bit of consideration really .
We all need to respect (or maybe try ) each others shooting styles or disiplines or we will eventually all fall divided .
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

#14 Post by Kungfugerbil »

I make sure I mag dump using HV ammo when I see my league competitors going into the next range to shoot a match card, keeps them honest :p
Maggot
Home club or Range: HRA and LERA

#15 Post by Maggot »

I have had a minor run in with my new SB club recently that has prompted me to tel them a few home truths and put them right.

I shoot black rifles because I can, because I want to, and regardless what colour I painted the bloody thing it would still be an AR15.

The issue was that it was too loud. Now I had no idea about this until they were compared on the range. I was not banned but referred to jokingly as a noisy b****** and it was suggested I looked for a moddy, but I was fine to keep on shooting as it was.

I mentioned to the club sec that I was getting a moddy because of the bark (it is a bird cage not a brake) and they started laying into me about wanting to do "Fun shooting" and considering going elsewhere as I may upset the neighbors and get them closed down.

Talk about mixed messages.

So words were had nicely and politely. I explained that I was shooting the semi auto because it was a great way to get live, local practice for some of the CSR phases using representative targets. Apart from its length (which would not have been my choice but actually it makes it more skittish so its a better trainer) it is a near carbon copy of my AR straight-pull, trigger, setup, sight, grip, identical.

This I have done using the McQueen 200 & 300 to 25. The 200 works out as a 12c at 100, ideal.

I explained that it was no different to lightweight sporting rifle other than coming on aim from the ready alert.

I agreed that it was loud, but I had shown commitment in that I had got a variation and a moddy sorted PDQ and them voluntarily decided to stay away until I had the moddy sorted. I also pointed out that ordinarily I would not need a moddy, it was just for this range.

I also pointed out that my choice of rifle had no bearing on me other than it was ideal for the job.

I was told great, and no arguments but I will wait and see.

Its all fine with me, the last thing I would want to do is upset the locals and potentially close the range, but people really ought to sing from the same hymn sheet.

Rapid fire per-se is achievable with a straightpull but why do it unless its part of a specific COF? It has its place but like brakes you need to use some common sense.

Rambo wannabees....FFS 8-)
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#16 Post by Blackstuff »

Gauging the club/who else is on the range is key. The vast majority of my shooting is rapid fire 'action' type shooting and if I go to my local club to practice, then that's what I'm going to be doing. However, if I get there and there is a load of newbies getting instruction and hence need to be able to hear what the instructor is saying, or there's a load of people in funny jackets/having asnooze on the floor that need to concentrate then i'll either wait til they finish, not shoot at all, or change to a different type of practice.

I am fully aware that my style of shooting IS disruptive to others and will attempt to fit it in with others at the range. Some clubs have a high number of precision shooters and that will be the more accepted form of shooting there. Some have a majority of action type shooters and people who need maximum concentration are best advised to find (literally) a quiet time when there aren't many shooters there. My club has a good mix.

At the end of the day if you turn up with the attitude "I CAN shoot here so I can shoot in ANY manner I choose" you're going to potentially cause problems. Self-awareness and the ability to modify our behavior accordingly is one of the few things that separates us from the other animals. O:-) Clubs that just write-off entire disciplines, whatever they are, should be avoided IMO.
DVC
Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

#17 Post by Kungfugerbil »

Blackstuff wrote:Clubs that just write-off entire disciplines, whatever they are, should be avoided IMO.
Agree with that.

When I joined our club it was purely prone NSRA smallbore..and nothing else. We now have thriving lightweight sporting rifle and benchrest sections.

We're lucky enough to have three indoor smallbore ranges so can split disciplines to keep people apart. I always shoot my noisier stuff in another range - mind you, it's still pretty loud! As above, I wouldn't do a mad minute if a junior had just gone in for coaching or someone was shooting a County card.
shotgun sam

#18 Post by shotgun sam »

Each to their own type of rifle/pistol you could say the same about black powder rifles/pistols that they create a smoke plume and might offend someone (I have a 10/22 as well as bolt actions).
I work on the principle that if whoever is shooting is safe they can shoot what floats their boat as that is what they get pleasure from.
mossberg 500
meteor mk2
smk 19 (0.22)
ruger 12/22 stainless synthetic 22lr
cz 452 style 16 inch 22lr
tikka t3 lite stainless 223
308 howa 1500 varmint
BSA Lightning XL (0.22)
Lanber Over and Under
Baikal mp153
AYA Cosmos 410
1917 BSA SMLE 303
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#19 Post by kennyc »

Just an observation, it appears that we are discussing 22lr here, 22 mods are about 30 quid , get a variation and the problem goes away. Except of course for the spray of brass and the yells of "get some!"
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#20 Post by channel12 »

RDC wrote:Has someone had a whinge to spark this thread?
I'm a member of one of the OP 's clubs which has put out notice about rapid fire. Just to put this in context the club runs club level and national level mini rife matches as well practical shotgun matches. The club generally doesn't have a problem with rapid fire but with members doing mag dumps just the sake of it. Yes I take the point you need to practice but I'm not sure how dumping the entire 25 round mag in one go helps.