My recent acquisition CZ452 up grades

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

My recent acquisition CZ452 up grades

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

Wow Im really getting into this .22 thing now. .22 rifles have not really figured in my shooting up to now I played with them a million years ago then quickly moved on to Lee Enfields and and other full bore stuff.
Any way my new club shoots lots of .22 disciplines and .22 comps. So I got a variation and acquired a CZ452 varmit 20" barrel.
Up to now I have been quizzed as to why I bought the heavy barrel and why do I need a 20" barrel why have I not got a moderator on it or a muzzle break.
So I totally ignored them. I stripped the thing down. The first thing that bothered me was the dove tail scope rail so I fitted a modified full length scope rail that allowed me to fit a set of weaver rings and a Hawke scope that cost nearly as much as the rifle.
I took the stock off and fitted a set of trigger springs to lighten the trigger pull. I checked the barrel to stock free floating and tweaked it a bit. OK I thought if the muzzle blast is that much of a problem and I have no idea why it would be I could fit a moderator.
The silly prices took me ten minutes to decide no way. So I looked at muzzle breaks that sort of defeat the object as far as I am concerned. £50 is a average price for a after market muzzle brake. After I had finished laughing a lump of scrap brass from the scrap bin miraculously after a hours work looked exactly like one of the muzzle breaks they want £50 for. Any way I will give it some to morrow night I feed back any comments I get.
I will try to post some pics if I have time.
May be I should be turning out .22 muzzle breaks and flogging them if people are prepared to pay that kind of silly money for them.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: My recent acquisition CZ452 up grades

#2 Post by dromia »

.22RF muzzle blast problematical?????

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Les
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: WRPC

#3 Post by Les »

Congratulations on finding your CZ452 - they are great little rifles. :good:

I've had big guns and little guns and most things in between, but these days I only shoot .22's. There are 7 of 'em in the cabinets, with a variation that's just gone in for another 'un when I find something that I like.

They're cheap to run, light, recoilless and loads of fun to shoot. What's not to like. shakeshout
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

Looking forward to some pictures, personally I am not a fan of brakes. My personal preference is always to shoot with a sound moderator on things like my Rimfire, 22-250 and 6,5x47 Lapua however I certainly would not use one on a .303 - that is juts plain wrong!
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1

#5 Post by Alpha1 »

The muzzle break was made out of a piece of scrap brass. The guys thought it looked the business and it polished up well. But they still did not like the noisy .22 I was shooting.
To night after lots of tut tutting I accepted the loan of a moderator. So they could point out the errors of my ways. It made no difference what so ever to my shooting and as I was wearing ear protection I could not tell you if it made any difference noise wise at all.
But it seems to be the norm now a days to moderate .22 rim fires.

Ill get round to posting pics been very busy lately.
MotorRacingBruce1980
Home club or Range: 5th Sussex Home Guard Rifle Club Worthing, Ford/Yapton, Fittleworth, Bisley

#6 Post by MotorRacingBruce1980 »

The problem with a muzzle break is it sends a sound wave toward anyone that is near you. Its the pressure of that along with the sound that gets frowned upon. They make any gun feel loud!

I've been using a cheap SAK Mod on my 452 and for the money I cant fault it. Its easy to take apart to clean and doesn't look too bad on a heavy barrel.
Anschutz Supermatch54, CZ452 LTH, Savage 16 FCSS 223, Ruger No1 243,
Enfield No4 Mk1/2 303, Mauser M18 308, Martini Henry Mk3 577/450, Chiappa 1892 357mag, Franchi Affin 12g, Miroku Mk38 GD5 Trap 12g, Ugartechea BLE SxS 12g, BSA R10 22, Webley Alecto 177
Oddbod

#7 Post by Oddbod »

It's a brake, not a break.

Just sayin'.... ;)
Alpha1

#8 Post by Alpha1 »

I gave up on it I refuse to fit a moderator or a brake to a .22.
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#9 Post by TattooedGun »

Alpha1 wrote:I gave up on it I refuse to fit a moderator or a brake to a .22.
lol lol Good man. cheers
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#10 Post by safetyfirst »

No!!!!! A moderated .22 is a wonderful thing. Quiet undisturbed plinking or ear plug free hunting!