.22lr advice needed

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Dazza9t9
Home club or Range: St Giles Yarners

.22lr advice needed

#1 Post by Dazza9t9 »

Good evening all

So I have been quite for a while and focusing on my shot gun shooting. Howeve I have just been granted my FAC. Now I do not want to rush into anything and doing my research but I am after your experienced help

I've been using rifles for a while, using various different ones at the clubs I was a member of, and using friends rifles. I have never owned my own, only my own shot guns which I have been using for a while for various types of shooting.

At the moment I am favouring a cz, 452 I think it was (bolt actions) and a ruger 10/22 (semi)

These will be used for vermin control until I rejoin the target club then it will be a bit of target too. But mostly out in the field.

Given these will be my first two rifles, the cost and good reports it seems to be silly not to start with them. I am thinking start with these to learn my skills again etc

What are people's thoughts on this.
Good choice or is there any others I should be considering

Thanks in advance
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: .22lr advice needed

#2 Post by Alpha1 »

I have recently purchased a CZ452 and I am very pleased with it. A great little gun I got it second hand for a very reasonable price. My next purchase will probably be a ruger 10/22 stainless synthetic. I have owned one in the past they just work and can be got second hand for reasonable money.
dodgyrog
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#3 Post by dodgyrog »

Alpha1 wrote:I have recently purchased a CZ452 and I am very pleased with it. A great little gun I got it second hand for a very reasonable price. My next purchase will probably be a ruger 10/22 stainless synthetic. I have owned one in the past they just work and can be got second hand for reasonable money.
I'd put Ruger 10/22 and Rossi underlevers in the same category - don't touch with a barge pole!
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
Les
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: WRPC

#4 Post by Les »

I don't think you could make two better choices, Dazza. You'll be lucky to find a new CZ452, but there are plenty of good used ones around. The CZ455 American is well worth a look as well. The 10/22 is as good as they come, too. The new prices seem to have rocketed recently, but again there are plenty of good used ones around. :good:
Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

#5 Post by Kungfugerbil »

Can't argue with either of those choices - you've done your homework :)
Dazza9t9

#6 Post by Dazza9t9 »

Thank you everyone. Your input is appricated

I'm not up to speed on the model numbers for the cz's I just know the 452 is bolt, I take it the 455 is the newer version??
Dazza9t9

#7 Post by Dazza9t9 »

Just going on from this question.....
What are the differences in the models? I.e. What's the difference between the varmint and America? Is there any where which lists the models and differences?
Alpha1

#8 Post by Alpha1 »

Just google CZ rifles.
Hrun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: PRPC

#9 Post by Hrun »

dodgyrog wrote: I'd put Ruger 10/22 and Rossi underlevers in the same category - don't touch with a barge pole!
The Ruger.. because? It would be helpful if you could elaborate.. I have one for target shooting, love it, and it works as well as being almost infinitely modifiable.
Alpha1

#10 Post by Alpha1 »

dodgyrog wrote:
Alpha1 wrote:I have recently purchased a CZ452 and I am very pleased with it. A great little gun I got it second hand for a very reasonable price. My next purchase will probably be a ruger 10/22 stainless synthetic. I have owned one in the past they just work and can be got second hand for reasonable money.
I'd put Ruger 10/22 and Rossi underlevers in the same category - don't touch with a barge pole!
So what is your recommendation for a .22 semi auto to use for practical shooting.