Re: GSG clones

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#1 Post by Mauserbill »

Anyone have any information or views on the relative benefits and pitfalls of GSGs
MP40 and STG44 have they got any weaknesses ?.Thinking of getting one for plinking on our 25M range
when 100M full bore is in comp mode.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Re: GSG clones

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

The MP40 looks quite handy although I am not sure my eyes would do one justice at longer distances.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#3 Post by GeeRam »

Mauserbill wrote:Anyone have any information or views on the relative benefits and pitfalls of GSGs
MP40 and STG44 have they got any weaknesses ?.Thinking of getting one for plinking on our 25M range
when 100M full bore is in comp mode.
I've got a GSG Stg.44.

The sights are a direct copy of the Stg.44 so the markings are meaningless for .22RF ammo, but once I worked out what they needed to be set at for 25m, it's a quite an accurate fun thing to use.
Not that I get much chance to use it as everyone else wants to have a go every time I take it 8-)

It is close to the weight of an original as well, so has some heft to it, and I've put a repro K98 sling on it, and bought a repro Stg.44 canvas cover for it as well.

I've heard they can be a bit moody about ammo types, and I've only fed it Minimag so far, and while you do get the occasional stoppage, it seems to be relatively reliable...so far..... in the 12 months I've owned it.

Getting hold of any additional 25rd mags might now be a bit of an issue though?
Charlotte the flyer
Home club or Range: Classified

#4 Post by Charlotte the flyer »

I have an Stg 44. It's great fun but a heavy old thing, not what you would expect for a lookey likey. The only issue I have is that I always seem to get a stoppage on the last but one round if I load the mag to capacity.
The above post probably contains sarcasm or some other form of attempted wit, please don't take it to heart.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#5 Post by GeeRam »

Charlotte the flyer wrote:I have an Stg 44. It's great fun but a heavy old thing, not what you would expect for a lookey likey. The only issue I have is that I always seem to get a stoppage on the last but one round if I load the mag to capacity.
Yep, I have experienced that too.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#6 Post by Mattnall »

I have both the MP40 and the Stg44, they are great fun and always a hit on the range.

The Stg44 also stops on the last round as does the 22 AK version no matter how many rounds initially in the mag. I think it is the actuator in the magazines which interrupt the bolt catch a bit too early, but the shooters love the fact they need to operate the bolt handle to get it to fire the last round. I might get round to looking at them this week.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Thorney
Home club or Range: Silverstone Shooting Centre

#7 Post by Thorney »

We've got both, they both hate winchester ammo.

Other than that both pretty good, punters like them.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#8 Post by Mattnall »

As regards ammo choice, we've only put SK and Blaser through them, we mostly stick to Blaser though as the SK is saved for the moderated rifles - just subsonic when used in the bolt guns.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
nigelc
Home club or Range: Swadlincote Rifle & Pistol Club, Offas Dyke

#9 Post by nigelc »

I had one of the first GSG MP-5 clones - worst gun I have ever owned. It never shot a full mag without a failure to feed - tried numerous types of .22 ammo, including mini mags, but it never worked properly wallhead . Hope they have got better.