CMMG firing pin life expectancy?

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Gazza

Re: CMMG firing pin life expectancy?

#21 Post by Gazza »

bradaz11 wrote:
Gazza wrote:I think Mr Paa should make a few quid from a redesign/material change of this pin.
So Dave, on it this week coming? lol
Put me down for at least one maybe two :good:
totally agree, but if a bit of home machining can get it back in action for now, while you wait for the Shed to free up some space for a more permanent fix, where's the harm?

it's already snapped off, what will drilling a hole in it do to make it worse?
I only have a pillar drill so any degree of accuracy for pinning does not exist lol
Ginger

#22 Post by Ginger »

They are hardened btw and is the pillar drill exact? Would a killing machine be better?

I just had to adapt a cmmg extractor for my spikes, I just filed it.
Zilberbak
Home club or Range: Cotswold Rifle Club, HBRA, Pipers & DRPC

#23 Post by Zilberbak »

Have gone through several and even forked out for the indestructible Taccom firing pin but that eventually broke as well, no reply from our friends at Taccom about their claims when l emailed them. Think it is a fact of life with the Ciener system, if anyone is making a better quality one put me down for a couple to three.
Zilberbak

Vested interest in .22LR .357 9mm .223 .308 7.62x39 & 7.62x54R
Gazza

#24 Post by Gazza »

The pillar drill is a Clarke product so that should answer your question :D
Ginger

#25 Post by Ginger »

Gazza wrote:I think Mr Paa should make a few quid from a redesign/material change of this pin.
So Dave, on it this week coming? lol
Put me down for at least one maybe two :good:

I've been looking at titanium rod on Evilbay and it seems quite reasonable ( I always thought it was super expensive stuff)
Most of it seems to be grade 5 ??? is that the good stuff?
If Mr Paa is happy to make them, I would be interested in some spare spikes tactical ones (slightly different to cmmg), and I could send him my spare so he could duplicate it.
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#26 Post by safetyfirst »

I’ll have a couple too, if the shed doesn’t want to make a load then I’d be happy to pursue it with my local machine shop.

David might not want to spend all day making tiny pins on a lathe, the man’s a craftsman for heavens sake.

;)
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#27 Post by Ovenpaa »

The turning is not an issue. I have the last fixture to finish for the tip machining and I am good to go, as ever we are still wading through orders and will be back in the workshop for the morning getting things ready for next week.

I was going to start off with a dozen CMMG pins with a slight tweak to a couple of them as a bit of an experiment.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#28 Post by safetyfirst »

Ovenpaa wrote:The turning is not an issue. I have the last fixture to finish for the tip machining and I am good to go, as ever we are still wading through orders and will be back in the workshop for the morning getting things ready for next week.

I was going to start off with a dozen CMMG pins with a slight tweak to a couple of them as a bit of an experiment.
Awesome, I’d be happy to run 500 rounds through one as a test!
Gazza

#29 Post by Gazza »

Is the tweak anything to do with removing the step Mr Paa?
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#30 Post by Ovenpaa »

Gazza, nope the modification is at the other end. I really would like to get my hands on a rifle to see if the transition radius between the minor and major diameters could be increased however they are not particular in my part of Lincolnshire.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal