M&P 15/22 thread????

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Nelly2014
Home club or Range: WNSC, UKPSA, SDC, MYOB

Re: M&P 15/22 thread????

#11 Post by Nelly2014 »

Or you could do what I did. Get the barrel cut down to 13" (which retains the proof marks) and have thread recut to the more common 1/2 x 20 and the choice of mods becomes simpler.
BamBam

#12 Post by BamBam »

Nelly2014 wrote:Or you could do what I did. Get the barrel cut down to 13" (which retains the proof marks) and have thread recut to the more common 1/2 x 20 and the choice of mods becomes simpler.
But then the standard muzzle device won't fit, or any of the model specific custom options.

treetop
Home club or Range: Grove

#13 Post by treetop »

I've got a brand new SAK 1/2" unef that I don't need..
I bought it to put on a 15/22 but never did
Rem 700 6.5 Creedmoor XLR Envy
Rem 700 .223 XLR Element
CZ 527 17 Hornet - AICS copy
Various other calibre's
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#14 Post by Alpha1 »

Its a .22 shoot it without one. ?
Odd Job

#15 Post by Odd Job »

As Bambam says, to remove the muzzle device it is best to use a barrel clamp.
The thread is 1/2x28 as others have said.

My recommendation is to leave the thread as is. There are plenty of fine moderators available in that thread. I advise getting the A-TEC CMM6, which is available in 1/2x28 thread from Jackson Rifles for around £84 retail.

For those of you worried about not being able to use 1/2 x 20 moderators, I can confirm that a well-made adapter will let you use those moderators on your gun.

I have three .22 rifles: two R55s with 1/2x28 (UNEF) threads and a Rimfire magic with 1/2x20 (UNF) thread. I also have 13 moderators, some of them only available in UNEF or UNF threads.
A set of adapters is therefore a wise investment if you want to try a bunch of moderators.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#16 Post by Blackstuff »

Sorry, have been ill recently and looking at a computer monitor hurt my eyes, I had/still have actual flu, not just the male variety!

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES REMOVE THE MUZZLE BRAKE BY CLAMPING (OR HOLDING) ANY PART OF THE GUN OTHER THAN THE BARREL!!
DVC
Blackstuff

#17 Post by Blackstuff »

Bah, just fell foul of the reduced time limit on posts! I didn’t realise it also applies when you have the post open for editing too!?

Anyway, the 15-22 has a plastic receiver and if you apply significant torque to the muzzle brake without the barrel being clamped you can twist the barrel within the receiver and effectively ruin the gun! S&W won’t even sell spare/replacement receivers to the Yanks so there’s no chance of using getting one if you do spin your barrel.

I keep my muzzle brakes/moderator hand tight only. Even this can cause issues though as the barrel nut can come loose. This happened to me recently and my grouping started to go crazy as if I have a loose optic/mount but after checking it was ok I suddenly remembered about the barrel nut. I’d recommend anyone buying the barrel nut tool if you have a 15-22 or even if you have a few mates with one, get one between you. They're available form Blackrifle. You can also make your own if you’re that what enabled.

I've had my barrel chopped but kept the original thread pitch for muzzle brakes. I use a thread adaptor for the moderator.

Cutch – There is a PSG match on this Sunday at Crocketford with an nont insignificant round could of 30rds of slug and 160 birdshot minimum! 9:30am start. There’s also a PSG and LBF match on 28th.
DVC
Blackstuff

#18 Post by Blackstuff »

AAAARRGGHH! Caught by the time limit again!!

Apologies, the PSG match is on Saturday, 30 slug, 80 birdshot. The shoot on Sunday is Target Shotgun (TSG) which I think is also 30rds slug and 50rds birdshot but i'd contact Vanessa for confirmation vduffy16@aol.com
DVC
Cutch
Home club or Range: Glasgow and District Pistol Club

#19 Post by Cutch »

Thanks mate. Saw those ones, im still offshore until the 20th though. I asked Vanessa what exactly was entailed in the LBF day she didn't get back to me??

On another note its funny you mention the barrel nut messing up your grouping. I keep my moderator hand tight too and i noticed my grouping changing too. I assumed it was my quick release scope mount though and have bought a fixed vortex for it instead....might check that when i get home...
Alberto
Home club or Range: VPRC

#20 Post by Alberto »

Blackstuff wrote: DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES REMOVE THE MUZZLE BRAKE BY CLAMPING (OR HOLDING) ANY PART OF THE GUN OTHER THAN THE BARREL!!
Thanks Blackstuff. I’m quite aware of my ignorance, so go for a measure twice cut once philosophy, but it never hurts to spell these things out.

Sent from my boing using "An application"
"I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know." - Marcus Tullius Cicero