15-22 Light Strikes - Hiperfire 24C

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

strangesam
Home club or Range: Invicta Bristol, Frome and District PC

15-22 Light Strikes - Hiperfire 24C

#1 Post by strangesam »

Hallo Hivemind, help!

I've started getting light strikes (a lot of them, 1 in 5 lot) in my 15-22. Its fitted with a Hiperfire 24C using the heaviest springs.

I've tried a lot of things,

New firing Pin,

Lighter Firing Pin Spring,

Cleaning everything, (repeatedly), I've noticed a lot of powder buildup between the firing pin hole and the extractor, which I remove without much effect.

Disassembly and re-assembly,

Range of different ammunitions (CCI Mini Mag, CCI AR Tactical, Standard Plus, Eley Force).

I think the problem is getting gradually worse. I generally run the gun dry with as little lubrication as possibly (just on the bolt carrier rails).

Any ideas?

The gun ran reliably with the original trigger (~2000 rounds), and with the Hiperfire for the first 1000 rounds or so. The last 1500 have been torturous with so many light strikes.
BamBam

Re: 15-22 Light Strikes - Hiperfire 24C

#2 Post by BamBam »

Do you shoot with a moderator a lot?
strangesam
Home club or Range: Invicta Bristol, Frome and District PC

#3 Post by strangesam »

No moderator..
sysreq
Home club or Range: CRPC

#4 Post by sysreq »

I have one in my 15-22 with the heaviest springs on, and while I don't use it a huge amount these days, I must have put at least couple of thousand rounds through it since the trigger went in with no issues using various ammunition. I'm also pretty bad at cleaning it :( and only do so when I absolutely have to, I lube the rails and give the bolt a wipe over but nothing fancy.

If it was me I would put the original trigger back in and see if the problem goes away to start with?
Nelly2014
Home club or Range: WNSC, UKPSA, SDC, MYOB

#5 Post by Nelly2014 »

I agree with sysreq. I have (had) a JARD 1.5lb in my 15-22. It ran great for the first few weeks then I had a firing pin break, replaced.
Then I started getting light strikes which increased in frequency until every match was a nightmare confidence basher. I tried all that you did and got nowhere. Last match was a nightmare and I gave up. I have removed the JARD altogether which is a shame as it is a great trigger so light and responsive and reverted to standard albeit with polished surfaces and lightened disconnector spring. Feels heavier but precise. I shall run as standard for a while just to get my confidence back and reduce embarassment.
My theory is that that the adjustments on the trigger slipped during use and timing went to s*** causing all the light strikes. I am sure that someone knowledgeable could set up the JARD to work fine but atm I just want to have some trouble free shooting.
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#6 Post by safetyfirst »

For sure I’d put the original back in and try it out for a few hundred rounds or find someone with the same rifle and swap lowers for a bit see if their lower runs your upper ok and if your hiperfire lower causes their upper to fail to fire.

Great trigger, sorry to hear it causing so many issues.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#7 Post by Mattnall »

Check your brass, does it have a scratch down one side? It might be your chamber has a ding (often caused by too much dry firing) that makes the round fail to fully seat in the chamber, and if the bolt is not fully home it will not fire.

Looking at the bolt after the ftf often doesn't show this as the hammer hitting the carrier/bolt will fully seat it.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Hunter87

#8 Post by Hunter87 »

When I was having issues with my CMMG like your having it was down to putting on one of the hammer springs backwards once I found the issue it resolved the problem for me.
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#9 Post by kennyc »

Mattnall wrote:Check your brass, does it have a scratch down one side? It might be your chamber has a ding (often caused by too much dry firing) that makes the round fail to fully seat in the chamber, and if the bolt is not fully home it will not fire.

Looking at the bolt after the ftf often doesn't show this as the hammer hitting the carrier/bolt will fully seat it.
+1
get a torch and inspect the chamber, if there is a mark where the firing pin hits then it is likely that the chamber has been peened, this will move material into the chamber and can hang up the odd out of round or oversized cartridge, causing light strikes, when I had this problem I solved it with the judicious application of an appropriately sized taper punch and hammer O:-) you want to move the metal back into place, you most definitely don't want to remove any metal! fixed the problem with my rimfire completely lollol
Egg on Leggs1
Home club or Range: Kings Heath Rifle Club

#10 Post by Egg on Leggs1 »

I recently started getting regular light strikes, fitting a Volquarson extractor seems to have cured it.