Sig 522

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Sim G
Past Supporter

Sig 522

#1 Post by Sim G »

Does anyone know who imports the Sig 522 into the U.K.?

Thanks.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Sig 522

#2 Post by Blackstuff »

Only place i've seen them for sale is The Sportsmans Gun Centre, not sure if they're the importer though. After a spare part?
DVC
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#3 Post by kennyc »

Sportsmans still list them,maybe they know?, damn fine rifles! I like mine a lot
Sim G
Past Supporter

#4 Post by Sim G »

Thanks Mark. Yeah a mates got one and it’s appalling! Tried different mags and a plethora of ammo, next to nothing in the way of reliability. I remember there being issues in the US and an upgrade kit was supplied. But, the kit contained a new bolt which is just crap given our legislation. Trying to find a way forward for him as he’s a disabled old fella that needs a hand.... as he has no legs....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Sim G
Past Supporter

#5 Post by Sim G »

His is not worth squat, unfortunately Kenny. Hopefully we can get a fix for him...

I’m not hopeful though. He ordered two brand new Sig branded magazines. One was as sloppy as you could care to think and the other wouldn’t even fit in th mag we’ll as it was too big! I was of the impression that these were supposed to be sub caliber training rifles for departments with the 556 in service.... it’s not an M&P that’s for sure!

Lancs Lad
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Diggle / Altcar and anywhere else that will have me.

#6 Post by Lancs Lad »

The Sig and black dog branded mags never worked in my 522 despite a whole lot of fettling, spare parts and time. Problem solved by purchasing a couple of Lantac mags. Runs like a dream now.

LL
BamBam

#7 Post by BamBam »

Mate of mine his Sig 522 spat out it's extractor at the range and we couldn't recover. Couldn't source a spare, ended up getting one made from scratch.
Alberto
Home club or Range: VPRC

#8 Post by Alberto »

Sim,

When I was looking at getting one of these a while back, I recall reading that Lantac did magazines that worked well in the Sig. I didn’t get one in the end, so can’t confirm that.

Sent from my boing using "An application"
"I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know." - Marcus Tullius Cicero
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#9 Post by kennyc »

Sim G wrote:His is not worth squat, unfortunately Kenny. Hopefully we can get a fix for him...

I’m not hopeful though. He ordered two brand new Sig branded magazines. One was as sloppy as you could care to think and the other wouldn’t even fit in th mag we’ll as it was too big! I was of the impression that these were supposed to be sub caliber training rifles for departments with the 556 in service.... it’s not an M&P that’s for sure!
the mags have always been a loose fit, mine has eaten every type of ammo I've thrown at it, including Remington sub sonic HPs which were as filthy a burning round as I ever saw! sounds like the oversized mag was for something else, I seem to remember that there was talk of some other rifle using a similar mag?

from another forum in 2015

I appreciate that this is an old thread and that the OP may have already resolved the issues that he was experiencing but for the sake of sharing solutions to problems, I thought I'd post this in the hope that it can help other folks.
My 522 was having the exact same issues as the OP and I tried a whole lot of 'fixes' to make it function but in the end, none of them worked. There was in fact, nothing wrong with the gun itself and the feed problems were all down to the Black Dog Machine magazines.
Having contacted BDM and hoping for assistance, I was immediately directed to Brownells where I could purchase the new feed ramps. Unfortunately, the kit was not available at the time from Brownells and even though I offered to both pay for the new feed ramps (including postage) from BDM, they were not prepared to help me out. So much for BDM's famed customer service.
Thankfully, a company called Lantac here in UK started producing a similar 25 round mag that fitted the Sig 522. The difference in quality of manufacture is like chalk and cheese and when these Lantac mags were loaded up and used in my 522 the rifle functioned flawlessly and has ever since. UK users of Sig 522's take note! The fact that some BDM mags work well and others just don't would indicate that BDM have an issue with their manufacturing consistency which they really should get sorted out. Okay, these are $20 mags so our expectations shouldn't be too high. Saying that, BDM customer service really need to endear themselves to all their customers and not just those who live in the USA (especially when the customer offers to pay for replacement items and postage).

Odd Job

#10 Post by Odd Job »

I had a SIG522 also. It originally came from Garlands, but since I haven't had a positive experience with Garlands I cannot provide contact details.

My 522 was accurate and reliable with an assortment of magazines, if I stuck to CCI Mini-mag. I had two Black Dog drum magazines, three Black Dog aluminium billet magazines and several CMMG and original SIG magazines. All of those performed within an acceptable failure margin when using CCI mini mag.
Unfortunately my game is moderated fire and I couldn't get through 500 rounds without having a failure to fire (I would get light strikes). The main reason for that failure is a flat mating surface between the bolt face and the barrel. There is no recess for residues to migrate to and you end up with a compacted layer of crud keeping the bolt just out of battery at the time of firing. The firing pin will make a light strike and fully chamber the round.

The bolt is badly designed because there is a connection from the extractor recess to the firing pin channel so that any debris going into the extractor recess will ultimately end up in the firing pin channel. This would not be so bad if the firing pin channel had some sort of egress for crud to get out (like a 10/22 or Thompson R55 bolt) but it doesn't. That channel has to be cleaned regularly if you are going to be shooting anything waxy or if you are going to be shooting suppressed.

That is the reason I sold mine off cheaply.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.