Optics recommendation please.

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Sabertooth
Home club or Range: Donderbus RPC

Optics recommendation please.

#1 Post by Sabertooth »

I have decided to order a Lantac LA-SF after reading all the posts on my Tippman v Kriss Defiance thread. Thankyou all for your contributions and advice. Since I'm intending to get back into competitive shooting after a long break (my last comp was in practical pistol) using the Lantac in Mini rifle can someone suggest a optic for this (Aimpoint and EOTech are unfortunately out of my price range) around £250 - £300?
Thanks
Gun control is hitting the target.
Gazza

Re: Optics recommendation please.

#2 Post by Gazza »

I put a Vortex strikefire II red/green dot along with a flip out 3x magnifier on my CMMG and its excellent. Its paralax free and with a lifetime warranty.
I think it all came in at around 350 quid from optics warehouse.
Blackstuff

#5 Post by Blackstuff »

Holosun, Holosun, Holosun! shakeshout

Aimpoint T1 styling and battery life (3-4years constantly on!), plain dot or Eotech style dot and circle reticle (switchable on most models) and several models within your budget.

Only UK stockist I've found so far is;

https://www.rifleworks.co.uk/collections/holosun

You can buy them abroad cheaper (Germany, USA and China) but obviously you then have less customer support should you need it.

I would go for (and will next time I buy a red dot) the 515CM or 515GM model. I have the 503C on my S&W 15-22 at the moment but it has been on my 12 bore box-mag shotgun before so can cope with heavy recoil
DVC
safetyfirst

#6 Post by safetyfirst »

Are the holosun better than the the similarly priced vortex?

I have a Vortex Sparc AR which is excellent, lifetime warranty too. Similar price.
Zilberbak
Home club or Range: Cotswold Rifle Club, HBRA, Pipers & DRPC

#7 Post by Zilberbak »

Vortex is the way to go as their warranty is unbeatable and is offered because their optics are usually very good quality and well thought out. For mini-rifle l use a 1x Spitfire as the recticle is a glass etched circle and dot so fast acquisition and dot accuracy. The Strikefire is a great budget red dot and l have a couple. The Holosuns seem to get mixed reviews regagarding quality but l fancy trying their 507c at some point. For longer distances the 1-8 Strikeeagle is great scope. Currently l have a Meprolight Bullseye on my Lantac Raven and that works well but a bit of a chunky dot at distance and a bit over your budget l think.
Zilberbak

Vested interest in .22LR .357 9mm .223 .308 7.62x39 & 7.62x54R
Blackstuff

#8 Post by Blackstuff »

safetyfirst wrote:Are the holosun better than the the similarly priced vortex?

I have a Vortex Sparc AR which is excellent, lifetime warranty too. Similar price.
From my experience and the reviews I've read the warranty is the real selling point of Vortex. However, if they didn't have that I don't think their red-dots would have a good reputation. I know one person who has had to return/exchange all 3 of the sights he bought from them because they failed/weren't working properly and at least 6 other people who have had to return a red-dot for one reason or another.

I also think that Vortexs reputation is largely bolstered because its an American company and anything built in the US automatically gets massive and unconditional support from real damn 'muricans dagnabit! bangbang

I have and would choose Holosun over Vortex personally, YMMV.
DVC
safetyfirst

#9 Post by safetyfirst »

Cool, I’ll check em out!
JS569
Home club or Range: catterick

#10 Post by JS569 »

Blackstuff wrote:
safetyfirst wrote:Are the holosun better than the the similarly priced vortex?

From my experience and the reviews I've read the warranty is the real selling point of Vortex. However, if they didn't have that I don't think their red-dots would have a good reputation. I know one person who has had to return/exchange all 3 of the sights he bought from them because they failed/weren't working properly and at least 6 other people who have had to return a red-dot for one reason or another.

I also think that Vortexs reputation is largely bolstered because its an American company and anything built in the US automatically gets massive and unconditional support from real damn 'muricans dagnabit! bangbang

I have and would choose Holosun over Vortex personally, YMMV.
I think a lot of vortex is built in the far east, but their marketing activity is very good / prolific.

I have 2 vortex's, Gen2 PST3-15 on a 308 (which I've not actually used yet but the quality seems very good). Whilst on my 556 Lantac AR, I have the strike eagle 1-8 which has proved good, easy to use and quick to pick up targets it will be fine on a rimfire. Advice on scopes is always spend as much as you can, so I've just spent more on the 3-15 than i thought I ever would but in the long run it will pay off. Ultimately the style / options for shooting in the UK probably don't test products to their max durability so there's probably room to spend a bit less. However, been very happy with my vortexs.