Vz.61 Scorpion Review by Harry Jackson

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Christel
Site Admin

Vz.61 Scorpion Review by Harry Jackson

#1 Post by Christel »

froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

Re: Vz.61 Scorpion Review by Harry Jackson

#2 Post by froggy »

Thanks for the link Viking . I have an original Czech Army Vz.61 converted to SA in its original 7,65 caliber. It is indeed a fun & quicky gun but that is about it .
For its original purpose, ie : a self-defense weapon for non-fighting personels, I guess it is full-filling its role bearing in mind the Skorpion is more cumbersom than a pistol, and firing a seriously anaemic round. Once deploy the stock is so short that acquiring a good sight picture is taking for ever, making it, IMO, a poor practical gun. It is true of all those "convertible" pistols of this type, P08, C96, Stechkin APS etc...
As a "toy" I dont regret buying the Skorpion but without the full-auto capability, I really cant see the point of it. Had it been anything over £.100 I probably would have passed and for that reason I keep passing Stechkin as I can not bite the price bullet they command .

Now in the UK, given the choice we have, "in the kingdom of the blinds , the one eye man is king" ... anybody trying to find any justification beyond the very valid "it's fun", is seriously kidding himself .
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#3 Post by bradaz11 »

I got mine as it's fun :)

If the Viking wants to have a play. Let me know

Sent from my p20 pro from the toilet
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

Sensibly priced and apparently well made, I like the look of these, now I just need to think of a reason for owning one :)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#5 Post by safetyfirst »

They’ve also been around for about two years??
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#6 Post by snayperskaya »

froggy wrote:Thanks for the link Viking . I have an original Czech Army Vz.61 converted to SA in its original 7,65 caliber. It is indeed a fun & quicky gun but that is about it .
For its original purpose, ie : a self-defense weapon for non-fighting personels, I guess it is full-filling its role bearing in mind the Skorpion is more cumbersom than a pistol, and firing a seriously anaemic round. Once deploy the stock is so short that acquiring a good sight picture is taking for ever, making it, IMO, a poor practical gun. It is true of all those "convertible" pistols of this type, P08, C96, Stechkin APS etc...
As a "toy" I dont regret buying the Skorpion but without the full-auto capability, I really cant see the point of it. Had it been anything over £.100 I probably would have passed and for that reason I keep passing Stechkin as I can not bite the price bullet they command .

Now in the UK, given the choice we have, "in the kingdom of the blinds , the one eye man is king" ... anybody trying to find any justification beyond the very valid "it's fun", is seriously kidding himself .
Mmmmmmm..........Stechkin razz

An APS would compliment your SVD nicely Tovarisch, as it was, and still is, issued to Russian snipers for close combat and self defence.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#7 Post by froggy »

now I just need to think of a reason for owning one
What about : "they are mega fun & look super cool" ? Isn't it good enough for you ? ;)

An APS would compliment your SVD nicely Tovarisch
Ooooh ... You are so reading my mind & preaching to a converted. What a bad Tovarish you are... 8-)
The cheapest I found (converted SA of course) was about €.750 with a bakelite stock. Would they be around Vz.61's prices I'd already have a box of them. It is part of the 5 Years Plan & I am a good & loyal Stakhanovist ;)
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
Christel
Site Admin

#8 Post by Christel »

bradaz11 wrote:I got mine as it's fun :)

If the Viking wants to have a play. Let me know

Sent from my p20 pro from the toilet
Viking says thankssign
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#9 Post by Blackstuff »

Given whats happening with the MARS rifles and the near impossibility of being able to contact Caledonian Classic Arms who are the sole importer AFAIK, i'd be wary buying one myself.
DVC