HAMMERLI TAC R1

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: HAMMERLI TAC R1

#11 Post by Sim G »

No, the Sig uses the follower to jam open the bolt as well. It does have a manual old open but the mag doesn’t activate it.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Sc85uk

#12 Post by Sc85uk »

Sim G wrote:No, it doesn’t.

Should have added, it’s the magazine follower that traps the bolt open. Take the mag out, bolt slams shut.
Just had a look at the promotional video for the Hammerli again and in it the bolt stays locked back when you remove the mag
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeoDSQqPIHs @1.22

Shouldnt the HK416 behave the same way as its basically the same rifle?
Sim G
Past Supporter

#13 Post by Sim G »

Seems early HK rimfires didn’t have a working bolt catch or a last round hold open and used the follower to interrupt the mechanism. This was then updated to provide an internal last round hold open. The bolt catch on the left side of the receiver doesn’t move. The bolt hold open can not be operated by it.

Likewise, this R1 seems to use the same system. An internal last round hold open completely independent of the external, left side bolt catch, which is there fir nothing more than show.

Why not the S&W? It is the benchmark in regards to “.22 ARs” as far as operation and reliability is concerned. Their magazines are regarded as the best thing on the market and the barrel is a proper barrel, not a pencil thin sleeved affair.

The Smith was designed up front as a sub caliber training tool for small US police departments that utilised the full bore S&W rifles, but needed to save on ammunition costs. Magpul Dynamics were using them to teach Tactical Carbine classes on smaller ranges. They do what they say on the tin!

I have just sold mine. Had it five years and probably put close to 30 thousand rounds through it. I used it a hell of a lot! I’ve gone and bought something nigh on three times the value of it for nothing more than “ohhh shiny”, but I’m really worried actually, that it won’t be as reliable as my Smith!!

I really don’t think my mates HK 416D will do anything near what my Smith did...
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
BamBam

#14 Post by BamBam »

All of the Umarex type lock back on an empty mag and hold open when mag is removed, what doesn't work is the bolt release, it's just a moulded lump.
Sc85uk

#15 Post by Sc85uk »

Sim G wrote:
Why not the S&W?
The weight and aesthetics of the 15-22 do not appeal to me, as for the pencil sleeve that is a non issue as I have a Walther MP5 and that groups very well for me.

I was just after something new until I can get my hands on a DMK22 or one of the Lantacs but there is a substantial wait for one of those.
BamBam

#16 Post by BamBam »

All the 30 rd mags for the Umarex rifles, which were hard to come by for about a year, are over £50 now.
As long as you're happy with the 10 or 20 rounders, they're still around £35.

The best thing about the older HK416 replica was that it came in a 12" barrel model from the factory.
38Super
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: FDPC

#17 Post by 38Super »

I have the Umarex/Walther/Colt version.
I love it. Very reliable, accurate enough and I like the metal rifle feel. Tuneable to suit the ammo.
I've fitted a workaround to address the lack of an extremal bolt hold open.
The main problem I've found is that the magazines are relatively soft plastic and the feed lips wear quite quickly.
Feed problems result and the mag has to be scrapped. I haven't found any way to repair them.
Sc85uk

#18 Post by Sc85uk »

BamBam wrote:All the 30 rd mags for the Umarex rifles, which were hard to come by for about a year, are over £50 now.
As long as you're happy with the 10 or 20 rounders, they're still around £35.
Yeah the mags are a pain to come by, had a hard time sourcing some extra mags for my MP5. After that I do not really mind the 20 rounders for the AR15 style rifles as the 30 rounders look weird with the extra length.
BeerBelly
Home club or Range: Middlewick

New .22 AR clone from Umarex?

#19 Post by BeerBelly »

Has anyone seen anything more about this? It's called the Hammerli Tac R1 by Umarex. Full metal construction at £499 seems like possible competition for the ever-loved M&P 15-22, even if it has a non-functional bolt catch.

I can't find anything about it besides this video, so I'm curious to see how it compares to the 15-22.

(Disclaimer: I'm not sponsored by Umarex or anything, I'm just curious if anyone has more info!)
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

Re: New .22 AR clone from Umarex?

#20 Post by safetyfirst »

I’ve handled one. Usual stuff, not a bad cheap plinker but for the price why not go for the more customisable Smith?

Umarex make cheap fun guns, I have an mp5 I love but it’s not a great rifle, the POI shifts up as it gets hot for example. Pencil barrels.