Latest .22 rifle

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

rufrdr

Latest .22 rifle

#1 Post by rufrdr »

I picked up a gently Used Remington 'Speedmaster' recently. I like it for several reasons: It is man-size, it is left handed friendly with an ejection port shield, it is reliable and accurate, and it is sexy! It holds 15 long rifle cartridges and will function just fine with shorts. I'm tempted to buy some shorts just to fill up the tube and see if I can empty the magazine before my trigger finger gets tired!

It is a companion to my Marlin 795 that I bought on sale for $100 some years ago when I innocently walked into a gun shop and found them on sale that day.

I can't leave any firearm stock it seems so I added a set of Tech sights and a WW2 GI pouch to the stock to carry extra magazines. I also tossed the plastic trigger and trigger guard and installed an aluminum TG and trigger. The trigger is adjustable for over-travel. It is a nice shooter, and was a favorite for my desert jaunts when I lived in California.

"Everybody dies...the thing is, to die well"

Jack Harper
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Latest .22 rifle

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

Hard to fault a Speedmaster, some of them seem to work well with shorts however I had one in that was constant FTF and FTE's

Biggest problem is shorts are not as easy to source at a sensible as they used to be here here in the UK. I probably have only 50-60 left :(
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
AL8

#3 Post by AL8 »

nice usable pair of .22's, I had a Marlin 795 and put a Boyds stock on it. It had just enough weight to make it very stable free standing
Christel
Site Admin

#4 Post by Christel »

From California to North Carolina, that is pretty much a straight line across country. A part of the US I have always wanted to see.

Quite a change I would have thought, more rain?
Christel
Site Admin

#5 Post by Christel »

Forgot to add...Speedmaster, can't go wrong.

There are a few little gems like that - Voere/FN/BSA all did similar.
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#6 Post by dodgyrog »

I got one from Scotarms for £15 and one went at the next auction for a fiver! You cannot go wrong with them but they do need constant cleaning to get them to feed all the time. A lack of hold open is a problem on the range but I stuff in a fired casing sideways into the port to show it isn't loaded (there must be a better way but my plastic .22 insert wont go in).
The stock on mine has a split and I found another on the evil bay for £20 - more than the rifle cost in the first place!
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
Sandgroper

#7 Post by Sandgroper »

My latest 22 rifle -

WP_20190122_12_33_07_ProA.jpg
A Sportco (South Australia) copy of the Springfield 87A from the 70's. Not really a true semi auto as the bolt locks back after firing until you release the trigger and only then is the next round loaded, quirky but I like it. You can also lock the bolt and operate it as single shot. Surprisingly accurate with iron sights and my eyes and should be even better now that I have a side mount and scope for it.
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Ovenpaa

#8 Post by Ovenpaa »

I do like Sportco, they are 'Robust'

Christel has a 71S, also known as the L29A2 British Army training rifle.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
rufrdr

#9 Post by rufrdr »

christel wrote:From California to North Carolina, that is pretty much a straight line across country. A part of the US I have always wanted to see.

Quite a change I would have thought, more rain?
Yes, lots more rain! We're getting about 3-5" of rain a week on average. Also colder, it went down to about 18F the other night.

The wife isn't happy with the weather but I'm happy living here now. I will miss the desert and mountain off-roading however.

"Everybody dies...the thing is, to die well"

Jack Harper
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#10 Post by DaveB »

Most if the clubs here now have rules against using .22s with tubular magazines in any competition. Sad really, because it can eliminate a large number of rifles. I have a Model 62 copy from Rossi which I absolutely love, but can't use for anything except plinking.