Lapua Midas, anyone tried them?

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Lapua Midas, anyone tried them?

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

Is anyone here using Midas, if so is it in a bolt gun or a S/A and how is it for accuracy at distance?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

Re: Lapua Midas, anyone tried them?

#2 Post by TattooedGun »

I don't use it, but it is touted as their best ammunition - I can state from my experience batch testing with the Lapua Technition at Bisley, it faired worse accuracy wise in my Anschutz at 50m than Centre-x, by a long margin - whether that was just the batches that were left at that time, I'm not sure, but I definitely came away with better ammo in Centre-x than midas.

http://blog.stegough.com/batch-testing- ... re-bisley/
Ballistol

#3 Post by Ballistol »

Tested over 30 different brands of .22lr at 100 yards in my Lilja barrelled CZ455.

Lapua Midas came fourth behind Tenex, Lapua Centre-X, and RWS100. It was the most expensive ammo I tried at £230 per 1000, roughly £10 more per 1000 than Tenex, and £65 per 1000 more than Centre-X.
In my rifle it just wasn’t worth the premium.
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#4 Post by dodgyrog »

I use R50 or Tenex for my benchrest shooting although the difference between Match and Tenex from Eley is hard to discern.
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#5 Post by FredB »

When I went round the Eley factory about 20 years ago. they talked about ammo "making" Tenex. The production process for Match and Tenex was different - batch production rather thana flow process --- and when a batch was completed it was sampled and tested for consistency. If up to standard, it "made" Tenex. If not, it became Match. All ammunition is batch / process sensitive and Eley bought in large quantities of competitor ammo to test. They explained that Lapua, RWS stc often came up to Tenex standard. but not always, and not always Match. I was invited to take boxes of lapua and RWS at random off the shelf in the test facility and fire them, then do the same thing with, again, a randomly selected box of Tenex. The Tenex group was better---not by much, but maybe enough to make a difference in a competition.
Fred
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#6 Post by TattooedGun »

dodgyrog wrote:I use R50 or Tenex for my benchrest shooting although the difference between Match and Tenex from Eley is hard to discern.
Unsurprising really, as they come off the same production line... ;)
Plumose
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: D&DR&RC

#7 Post by Plumose »

I am genuinely intrigued, would a few years of sitting in a shelf make any real difference to the consistency of the ammo?

I am still far less consistent any ammo I use, so it doesn't make much difference yet
Deddington and District Rifle and Revolver Club (D&DR&RC) http://www.ddrrc.net
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#8 Post by dodgyrog »

Plumose wrote:I am genuinely intrigued, would a few years of sitting in a shelf make any real difference to the consistency of the ammo?

I am still far less consistent any ammo I use, so it doesn't make much difference yet
I bought 1400 rounds of Match at Scotarms auction. There is a little white on the bullet lube which I wipe off between finger and thumb. They are quite old I'd guess, but they still knock the centre out of the target at 15 yards.
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.