Eley Action

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

Re: Eley Action

#21 Post by TattooedGun »

Are there people out there who compete and don't clean their magazines regularly so that wax in mags is actually an issue?

Before any competitions all of my magazines get a good going over...
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#22 Post by Blackstuff »

Never properly cleaned the inside of a .22 guns magazine in my life! I occassionally wipe excessive carbon off the outside of the feedlips just to stop it going on my hands and use my 'tactical toothbrush' if i drop any in mud but thats it. I've never had an issue with bullet lube build up fingerscrossed
DVC
mr smith
Home club or Range: Dundee Rifle and Pistol Club

#23 Post by mr smith »

I had a problem of wax build up on my buckmark mags with cci standard to the point where it would slow the rising round so much that the bolt would closed before the round was high enough to be picked up or meet the round half down the case.Thought the gun just didn't like the ammo but keep the mags wax free and it cycles fine.
RDC

#24 Post by RDC »

I occasionally clean my ruger bx25 mags if they start playing up.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#25 Post by Pippin89 »

Sorry for the rehash of an old thread and for the newbie question....

My club uses Eley sport and even as a newbie I am getting good groupings and I haven't had a single misfire yet. But seeing that Eley Action is a good deal cheaper it begs the question... Is Sport worth spending the extra on? NSRA shop website has Sport at £85 / 1000 and Action at £65 / 1000. Obviously all the time I am buying it at the club obviously I will stick with what's used but when I get my FAC and buy my own which would people recommend??
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#26 Post by Mattnall »

Best bet is to buy a 100 or so and try it. Discard the first 10-20 shots before you start grouping tests and find out if your rifle likes it.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#27 Post by FredB »

Good advice, but remember the importance of lubrication. Clean the barrel before changing brands and then disregard at least the first ten shots. When you have selected the ammo and conditioned the barrel to it, dont clean it again. After each shoot just put two dry patches through it. Your barrel is being protected by an ultra thin film of lubricant which should be left in place as long as possible.
Fred
Mattnall

#28 Post by Mattnall »

I have found that cleaning the barrel thoroughly before changing brands can often lead to more rounds being needed to 'condition' the barrel before it starts to shoot consistently. Just shooting a new brand through a patched barrel can reduce the number of rounds as bullets act as their own cleaning system.

But either method will work, just don't expect to try 5 or 10 rounds of each brand on a test and get a good or reliable result.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Rockhopper

#29 Post by Rockhopper »

I don’t find any difference in accuracy after cleaning (deep clean or just a dry patch). The first round is noticeably louder (I usually put it into the sand) but the subsequent ones go where I’m aiming.
Mattnall

#30 Post by Mattnall »

I guess it would be difficult to judge the first round accuracy if it goes in the sand.