Eley Action

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Gh0st
Home club or Range: FDPC

Re: Eley Action

#11 Post by Gh0st »

I did a little test of CCI Standard, RWS SEMI Auto and Eley action recently through my lbp.

The eley action was the only one not to miss feed. When my FAC is back im going to buy a larger batch and test it properly.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrdnT9CBAfg ... _copy_link

Top test was 25m using the red dot freestanding

bottom was 15m using the red dot free standing
All views expressed are my own unless otherwise stated! So please take your time to consider my opinions as biased to what i think is best....

http://www.bulletsandpixels.co.uk www.fdpc.org.uk
Thorney
Home club or Range: Silverstone Shooting Centre

#12 Post by Thorney »

Rockhopper

#13 Post by Rockhopper »

I don't do this kind of shooting but I'm guessing from that article that reliable feeding is more important than outright accuracy?
Thorney
Home club or Range: Silverstone Shooting Centre

#14 Post by Thorney »

Rockhopper wrote:I don't do this kind of shooting but I'm guessing from that article that reliable feeding is more important than outright accuracy?
Both really, but the shorter range matches (which is a lot and all for LBP really) yes, cycling is the most important.
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#15 Post by Daryll »

Rockhopper wrote:I don't do this kind of shooting but I'm guessing from that article that reliable feeding is more important than outright accuracy?
For most disciplines against the clock, reliability is most important...

If your ammo is fairly accurate you might be scoring 8's or 9's... but if your gun jams and you miss an exposure, you're scoring 0's...
Tacticool
Home club or Range: EMMR

#16 Post by Tacticool »

My club switched to this about 4 months back and it became the club practical ammo. We found it basically will eventually gum up any magazine (even sw 15-22) over time 1000+ rounds and make them unreliable thanks to that paraffin coating. Needless to say we have all switched back to CCI AR tactical now.

I will say it was good until that point. But then it goes downhill, so you either have to start striping and cleaning your mags or buy a copper wash alternative. I wish them the best of luck being British and all.

Sent from my boing using "An application"
sclg
Site Supporter 2019
Home club or Range: Pipers Shooting Club

#17 Post by sclg »

I hope their quality control has improved since Edge. Our club found the early batches of Edge excellent and thereafter the quality deteriorated so much we had to practically give it away!
JSC
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA

#18 Post by JSC »

CCI Minimag is copper washed but still has a wax coating. It's going to be a problem with almost all .22, especially in the cold weather when the wax is harder and little flakes of wax can get in the chamber and prevent the round from chambering fully.

Eley has definitely had quality control issues with some of the their lines, but then so has almost every brand I've shot.

The sensible thing to do is not buy a huge amount of anything so you can switch to another type if and when your current favourite starts playing up.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#19 Post by Blackstuff »

Mini-mag has left my McFadden lightning loader with a good coating of wax in it but thankfully has never caused a problem with my guns or their mags. 15-22 must have 20-25k through it now, mainly in 6 magazines, MP5 could be 30k through 5 mags and 1911 probs 10k with 5 mags.
DVC
BamBam

#20 Post by BamBam »

Wax build up from CCI Standard is pretty severe, terrible in the winter.