Eley Action

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Rockhopper

Re: Eley Action

#31 Post by Rockhopper »

One round in the sand, the rest are scoring and go where I aim. Most people are saying five to ten shots before you get any kind of accuracy. I've not found that to be the case. :-)
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#32 Post by TattooedGun »

I find with the most accurate .22lr ammunition I can find, the first round will always go high and left, out to the 9 ring at 25 yards on a 10 spot target, like clockwork, it won't go point of aim, every following round will, from cleaned or un-cleaned.

I can understand the one round in the sand method, I also see people who shoot off multiple rounds before shooting for ultimate accuracy in benchrest shooting, but I see no benefit in doing this as I can quantify the first round only.

For practical, it wouldn't make any difference on the target, because you're not working to that level of precision.
Rockhopper

#33 Post by Rockhopper »

That’s right. Sorry I should have said that I shoot prone rifle. After a pull through with a dry patch the first round goes high and left as yours does! It also sounds very much louder than normal. To avoid any possibility of it hitting the scoring part of the target (or damaging the frame) I put it into the sand (or linatex inside). Most of our other shooters do the same thing.
One poor chap yesterday dropped his first shot so low it want into the diagram below (at 100 yards), he didn’t notice, thought he’d missed totally then after a few more slighters that hit okay proceeded to shoot another ten into the first diagram. Cost him the match that did!
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

#34 Post by breacher »

When I got my RFD, my first big order from Eley was mostly match ammo - but I tacked on some Eley Action just to give it a try ( and some "Force" too )

Have to say - both have been outstanding in my CMMG based AR 22 - clean, cycles well and accurate !!
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
Individual
Past Supporter

#35 Post by Individual »

TattooedGun wrote:I find with the most accurate .22lr ammunition I can find, the first round will always go high and left, out to the 9 ring at 25 yards on a 10 spot target, like clockwork, it won't go point of aim, every following round will, from cleaned or un-cleaned.
Throw those first rounds away - they are clearly defective.
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

#36 Post by breacher »

Individual wrote:
TattooedGun wrote:I find with the most accurate .22lr ammunition I can find, the first round will always go high and left, out to the 9 ring at 25 yards on a 10 spot target, like clockwork, it won't go point of aim, every following round will, from cleaned or un-cleaned.
The only variable that leaves is barrel temp ?
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#37 Post by safetyfirst »

breacher wrote:
Individual wrote:
The only variable that leaves is barrel temp ?
and senses of humour.
Nelly2014
Home club or Range: WNSC, UKPSA, SDC, MYOB

#38 Post by Nelly2014 »

I always use minimag. I use them for consistency and clean use. I find most other types like blazer and Eley to be greasy and a bit dirty, requiring more cleaning of working parts. I had some Federal once that were copper head and they were ok but haven't been able to find anymore.
GlockworkOrange
Home club or Range: Parkstone Gun Club

#39 Post by GlockworkOrange »

I recently got a Browning Buckmark Rifle, and quickly found that it likes to spray your face, trigger finger and supporting arm with hot material upon firing. Not a huge ammount, but it can be uncomfortable and safety glasses are a must. I bring this up because this effect is much worse with some ammo types than with others, seems to be based on the premise that hotter ammo opens the breech quicker and therefore more unburnt powder and residue can escape from the ejection port. Eley Action was the worst of the ammo I tested for this, presuably because it was the most powerful. I tried CCI standard, CCI Minimag, Blazer, Winchester Subsonic and the Actions. In a more sealed action I'm sure they're fine, although I think they're dirtier than Minimags.
RDC

#40 Post by RDC »

Has anyone had any issues with struck primers failing to bang?

We got some Action for the club in order to test them out with a view to move to a UK manufacturer for the bulk of club ammo. We currently use CCI minimag as the bulk of ammo (with Eley Match and Tenex for precision shooters). Trying to convince some that you don't need high velocity for 25m, and you definitely don't need it for 100m is half the battle.

Anyway, I've been encouraging people to try the Action and on a recent mini rifle night, we had several failures to fire, despite strong firing pin imprints on the rim of the failed cartridges. This has occurred across three different semi auto rifles so far, with it appearing to be once a mag at the moment.

We have by no means worked our way through the brick, however it's a bit disheartening so far to see it fail when there has been so much positive feedback from other practical shooters. It's been hard enough to convince some that we should give it a try, and now they negative attitude towards it has been reaffirmed for them by these failures.