Lantac LA-SF .22lr

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

Lantac LA-SF .22lr

#1 Post by TattooedGun »

Looking back through my posts on this forum, this is a rifle that has been a long time coming for me...

My most participated thread on this forum was one called "accuracy of Lantac", so when they launched the LA-SF - a forged upper and lower, Texas built .22lr utilising the CMMG bolt and bentz chambered rifle, for under a grand, I thought it was now or never.

After placing my deposit back at the start of September, following a few issues with anodisers and the government shutdown I finally drove up to Harrogate and got my grubby paws on my new rifle on Friday...

7 and a half hour round trip to get home and start installing the oodles of toys I'd been saving up during the wait for arrival...

Out came the single stage trigger, a nicely tweaked 4lb pull, and in went the CMC 2 stage 2lb set / 2lb pull drop in trigger.

In went the Radian Raptor for ambidextrous charging handle usage.

On went the Magpul Bad Lever for easier bolt manipulations using strong hand.

Then it came to optics, I chose a Vortex Strike Eagle on top with a 45 degree offset Shield J-point Red dot.

It was a long night, but when morning came on Saturday, I felt like a kid at Christmas. Off to the range, wife in tow, with some 300 rounds of .22lr to go and see how she runs...

Verdict...?

Using the Winchester HP rounds, I had one stoppage where a round impeded the follower in the magazine and wouldn't feed. - I won't be using HP ammo in this rifle, although it was a nice experiment and a chance to blow through some rounds that would have otherwise sat in my ammo locker until the end of time...

I went through a mag and a half of Mini-Mag, with one Failure to Fire, the firing pin struck the case correctly, but it must have been a bad round, where there was no primer in that part of the rim, fired it again, with the firing pin hitting a different part of the rim, and it went off.

Using older black-case Eley Force, my chosen ammo for Practical Pistol, it ran flawlessly. no jams, stoppages or issues on over 200 rounds.

I can't speak for the sheer accuracy of the rifle, as with these optics, it's not set up for bench rest level accuracy, however, with the 6x scope, where your crosshairs are, is exactly where the bullet goes. I may at some point, to put an end to my curiosity about the actual accuracy, stick a scope on top of the rifle and shoot come competition cards to judge the overall accuracy of the package. However for Practical Mini-Rifle, this will definitely do the job for me.

As the wife was at the range with me, she had a go, a little sceptical, but she loved it. Trying to convince her to enter some competitions later this year!

My first proper outing with this rifle will be at Spring Action Weekend at Bisley - Butt Zero, speed steels. If anyone wants to come say hi and have a look in the flesh.

cheers lollol
Andy

Re: Lantac LA-SF .22lr

#2 Post by Andy »

Nice rifle, I have a kriss defiance at the moment but I'm after one of these to replace it. I was hoping lantac were going to be at the shooting show at the nec so I could have a look at one but they weren't.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Blackstuff »

:p

I'd have kept the single stage trigger if its being used for mini-rifle comps but its a sweet looking beast goodjob
DVC
TattooedGun
Past Supporter

#4 Post by TattooedGun »

Blackstuff wrote::p

I'd have kept the single stage trigger if its being used for mini-rifle comps but its a sweet looking beast goodjob
Might be a case of I find out the hard way, but I've always preferred double stage triggers...

Didn't have any issues double tapping with it on Saturday, but I'm far from fast at the moment. If I start getting problems with resetting the trigger, I've still got the alternative to fall back on... if I can ever get it all back in and working! haha.
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

#5 Post by breacher »

TattooedGun wrote:Looking back through my posts on this forum, this is a rifle that has been a long time coming for me...

My most participated thread on this forum was one called "accuracy of Lantac"
Was that the one where the accuracy of a Lantac with bog standard ammo was claimed to be giving groups at 50m that Olympic shooters could only dream of with their superguns and hand selected match ammo ?
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
TattooedGun
Past Supporter

#6 Post by TattooedGun »

breacher wrote:
TattooedGun wrote:Looking back through my posts on this forum, this is a rifle that has been a long time coming for me...

My most participated thread on this forum was one called "accuracy of Lantac"
Was that the one where the accuracy of a Lantac with bog standard ammo was claimed to be giving groups at 50m that Olympic shooters could only dream of with their superguns and hand selected match ammo ?
I don't recall it quite like that, but I have come to the conclusion that any anecdotal evidence of what people "shoot" online can never be trusted without photographic evidence, even then, some people will shoot much closer than they claim to get the targets they post.
BamBam

#7 Post by BamBam »

Nice shooter Ste.

I only got to fondle the .223 version at SHOT and obviously didn't get to shoot it.

I have a compact on the way though.
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#8 Post by shugie »

Very nice that, personally I prefer a shorter barrel, no idea what that does to accuracy, but it makes it a bit better balanced, the Kriss I picked up seemed very barrel heavy.
Careful now/that sort of thing
Gh0st
Home club or Range: FDPC

#9 Post by Gh0st »

Practical targets are the size of a small car door so it shouldn’t have an issue.....
All views expressed are my own unless otherwise stated! So please take your time to consider my opinions as biased to what i think is best....

http://www.bulletsandpixels.co.uk www.fdpc.org.uk
BamBam

#10 Post by BamBam »

shugie wrote:Very nice that, personally I prefer a shorter barrel, no idea what that does to accuracy, but it makes it a bit better balanced, the Kriss I picked up seemed very barrel heavy.
I'll tell you soon enough I'm picking up a Compact tomorrow.
The .223 weighs in at 6.6lb and is fairly well balanced.